Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   I think it's time for 2 phases of the game instead of two.... (/forums/showthread.php?t=464723)

Droopy03 01-13-2011 12:03 PM

I think it's time for 3 phases of the game instead of two....

One thing you hear all the time is that there is the phases of a football game and usually if you win two of the 3 you win the game. When will the special teams part of the game be exciting???? I'm ready to see blocked punts and bloced field goals without it happening form a cheese head. The punt game is sooooo boring it doesn't matter if the defense chooses punt block and the offense doesnt pick max protection you still cant get there.

This part of the game just sucks!!!! But I'm sure EA see's bigger issues than this which I do as well. But lets make madden 12 right :-)

1_two_3_forte 01-14-2011 02:16 PM

Re: I think it's time for 2 phases of the game instead of two....

They got it all wrong bro. There are no wedges in kickoffs. The kicking is wayy too easy as well as the punting. Real life lanes don't open and close on kickoffs and punts.

For one, kicking is Way too easy. I say, take out the meter. Dont even have a meter. When we kick the ball....have it to where all we simply do is snap the ball and the kicker will kick it.

If you have a kicker that makes 85 percent of his field goals, then he will make them more often than not. If you have a below average kicker, than he will miss more. Give kickers Kicking Accuracy ratings for 0-20,20-30,30-40,40-50,50 and above. Also give kickers Clutch ratings for different lengths at the end of the game.

So when I line up with Nate Kaeding at the end of a game, down 2 with 3 seconds left at the 35....I will grit my teeth and sit there and HOPE he makes the kick knowing that he hasn't shown to be clutch. I simply snap the ball, and he goes for the kick. While if I have Vinatieri on the other hand in the same situation, I'd be more confident when I snap the ball. Taking the meter out, and allowing the computer to take over the kickers for kicks would end up giving us realistic missed field goals and missed field goals at the end of games. Also, if you were on the other side of your opponent kicking field goals, YOu'd know that it isn't automatic because it's all about the kicker and not the user just simply pressing the A button 3 times easily to make the kick regardless of who the kicker is.

They should do this for punters too. When we select punt, we should be able to select "Punt high/low/line drive and to the left/center/right", "Punt inside the 5", or simply "Punt it out of bounds" if you don't want a Devin Hester to get his hands on it. After we select it, again, with no meters, you simply snap the ball and the punter does what you selected. Bad punters will screw up on the commands and good punters will get what you wanted done.

The weather would play a big part in all of these. I'd have ratings for the accuracy at different ranges and lengths, as well as kickers in bad weather games. Therefore, in franchise, you won't be satisfied with just grabbing "any" punter/kicker because you can simply turn the worst kicker in the world into the best by hitting "A" three times in rhythm.

Its so many things Ea can work on. And they almost NEVER do anything with special teams. It is a third of the game....and it is just too bland for my liking. Where are the botched snaps? Where are the blocked field goals and punts?

fistofrage 01-14-2011 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1_two_3_forte (Post 2042032844)
They got it all wrong bro. There are no wedges in kickoffs. The kicking is wayy too easy as well as the punting. Real life lanes don't open and close on kickoffs and punts.

For one, kicking is Way too easy. I say, take out the meter. Dont even have a meter. When we kick the ball....have it to where all we simply do is snap the ball and the kicker will kick it.

If you have a kicker that makes 85 percent of his field goals, then he will make them more often than not. If you have a below average kicker, than he will miss more. Give kickers Kicking Accuracy ratings for 0-20,20-30,30-40,40-50,50 and above. Also give kickers Clutch ratings for different lengths at the end of the game.

So when I line up with Nate Kaeding at the end of a game, down 2 with 3 seconds left at the 35....I will grit my teeth and sit there and HOPE he makes the kick knowing that he hasn't shown to be clutch. I simply snap the ball, and he goes for the kick. While if I have Vinatieri on the other hand in the same situation, I'd be more confident when I snap the ball. Taking the meter out, and allowing the computer to take over the kickers for kicks would end up giving us realistic missed field goals and missed field goals at the end of games. Also, if you were on the other side of your opponent kicking field goals, YOu'd know that it isn't automatic because it's all about the kicker and not the user just simply pressing the A button 3 times easily to make the kick regardless of who the kicker is.

They should do this for punters too. When we select punt, we should be able to select "Punt high/low/line drive and to the left/center/right", "Punt inside the 5", or simply "Punt it out of bounds" if you don't want a Devin Hester to get his hands on it. After we select it, again, with no meters, you simply snap the ball and the punter does what you selected. Bad punters will screw up on the commands and good punters will get what you wanted done.

The weather would play a big part in all of these. I'd have ratings for the accuracy at different ranges and lengths, as well as kickers in bad weather games. Therefore, in franchise, you won't be satisfied with just grabbing "any" punter/kicker because you can simply turn the worst kicker in the world into the best by hitting "A" three times in rhythm.

Its so many things Ea can work on. And they almost NEVER do anything with special teams. It is a third of the game....and it is just too bland for my liking. Where are the botched snaps? Where are the blocked field goals and punts?

I agree 100%. AT minimum have the option to turn on real life FG% like they had in College Hoops for Free Throws. Just press the snap button and the kickers ratings determine everything.

LowerWolf 01-15-2011 01:09 AM

For kicking, I'm OK with the meter. What they need to do is remove the arrow you use to aim.

I don't aim the arrow on M11. So if I'm on the right hash, I have to intentionally press a little late for accuracy for the kick to be good. It's made kicking a lot more of a challenge.

ryan36 01-15-2011 01:12 AM

op, did you mean 3 phases?

JDoze 01-15-2011 09:10 AM

Quote:

this sounds much more exciting.

ThunderCat838 01-15-2011 09:51 AM

they also should make punt returns and kick returns a little more realistic... i mean i can return at least one kick a game on the computer most the time more... put a 99 overall (hester,harvin,new rookies, etc.)in there and its automatic, even tho these guys are the best they don't this in real life...

adembroski 01-15-2011 10:11 AM

Quote:

They got it all wrong bro. There are no wedges in kickoffs.

Wedges are illegal in the NFL now.

Quote:

The kicking is wayy too easy as well as the punting. Real life lanes don't open and close on kickoffs and punts.

To start with, I'm not going to argue with a lot of this. I do see what you're getting at, but I think we start floating into the management-sim zone when we talk about having a scoring play hinge on a random roll that the user has no input in. While everything else you said has merit, I just can't see taking kick control away from the user. Figuring out a way to make the kicker ratings significantly more meaningful, in an "MVP Baseball" kind of way where it's ultimately your skill, but the skill of your kicker really makes a measurable difference would be the ideal solution imho.