Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Closest Game You've Ever Played? (/forums/showthread.php?t=465618)

MidnightClaw 01-19-2011 11:04 PM

Closest Game You've Ever Played?

I didn't see anything like this, but if there is already a thread on this, I'm sorry. So, Operation Sports Members, what has been the closest game you've ever had on Madden. Any year, any mode, etc.

Tonight, I made a Miami Dolphins franchise. The only big moves I made was releasing Chad Pennington since I don't like him. But I'm kinda regretting the move now. On Madden, I usually play on All-Pro, but on the Dolphins dynasty, I decided to play on All-Madden.

The first regular season game (simmed the preseason) was against the division rivals, Buffalo Bills. I thought it was going to be a easy win for me. Boy was I wrong.

I got the ball first, and the first play after the kickoff, Ronnie Brown took it to the house. So my hopes of a easy win increased.
However, Buffalo took it down the field with the legs of Fred Jackson and Spiller and tied the game up, 7-7. I scored on another long run from Ronnie Brown near the end of the 1st quarter to go up 7-14. I was able to stop Buffalo for a 3 and out. However, I also got a 3 and out and Buffalo got the ball back. On the third play of their drive and facing a third and long, Ryan Fitzpatrick threw a perfect ball to Lee Evans who was wide open and scored, 14-14. After a few plays running it with Brown (Henne at this point I think was 2-4, so he wasn't throwing much), Ricky Williams took it to the house on a Wildcat play. I go up 21-14 with just over two minutes left in the 2nd quarter.
Buffalo ran the clock down on their drive, before C.J. Spiller took it from two yards out. Score tied, 21-21. It was just ove ten seconds left when they kicked off to me and I just ran it to end the fist half. Buffalo got the ball at the start of the 2nd half and I quickly stopped them for a 3 and out. However, I didn't do much better on my next drive and I had to punt. Buffalo was able to take it down field, but I sacked Fitzpatrick on third down and was able to put them out of field goal range and they punted. First play of my drive, Henne connected with Bess on a wide open throw, but Bess was tackled one yard short of the TD. Buffalo was able to stop me on all three plays from the one yard line and I had to settle for a FG.
Buffalo's next drive was nothing special and they punted at the end of the third. Fist play of drive/quarter, Pat White was able to run it for a huge gain into Buffalo's territory. However, they were able to stop me a few plays later and had to settle for another FG, 21-27. The next two drrives for both of us was nothing special. However, I was able to run the clock down before punting to them. They had no timeouts left, it was only about thirty seconds left on the clock, and they were down on their 3 yard line. Guess what? My defense stopped playing and let them score with just over ten seconds left and they went up, 28-27. I got the ball back with ten seconds left, two timeouts. They also squibed(sp?) it right to Polite and he was able to get to about the fifty. I was in good territory and still had just enough time for another play, maybe two.
First play, Henne connected with Ronnie Brown and he was able to get out of bounds. Five seconds left on clock, I was about on the 40 yard line, so a Field Goal would be 50+ yards and I was kicking into the wind. I thought with five seconds, I could do a quick throw to Marshall, call timeout, and kick a FG. I decided to not kick the 50+ FG and instead try to get a few extra yards. Henne snaps it, quickly throws it to Marshall...and Buffalo's CB INT it. Buffalo wins: 27-28.

By far the closest game I played and possibly the funniest I played. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. I hope I have more close games like that, just with me winning.

So, what was your closest game? And sorry for the essay I wrote, I wanted to get most of the important stuff in it. And sorry if there is already a thread like this.

Foxtrot2873 01-20-2011 12:09 AM

Re: Closest Game You've Ever Played?

I recently played a game online against an opponent that used a nano blitz on just about every play.

Broncos (Me) 18
Seahawks (Opponent) 17

It started off rough, because I had to adjust to his constant use of the nano blitz. I threw a pick six early, and found myself fighting to get back into the game from the get go. Then I gave up a kick off return for a touchdown, and but still managed to put myself into position for a game winning field goal with just five seconds remaining. The opponent ended up quitting on me when the clock expired, which doesn't make much sense to me, but oh well.

If it wasn't for Tebow's scrambling ability, I probably would not have won, since I was able to use line shifts and leave backs in to pass block. That would usually give me enough time to either get a shot down field, or scramble outside the pocket. Since so many were blitzing, I was almost always able to escape the pass rush and pick up some big gains.

Anyway, good game.

MidnightClaw 01-20-2011 03:05 PM

I love games that come down to a last second FG or TD. Just makes it so much funner. I really need a new QB for the Dolphins. Henne in that game was 2-8 with 65 yards, 0 TD's and 1 INT. White wasn't much better, didn't even complete a pass on two attempts.

Hova57 01-20-2011 04:06 PM

i haven't played 11 much, but i did recently play my son this past sunday. Jets vs. Packers(me). He hopped out to an early lead 21-3 beat me up with LT on two run plays. I couldn't do anything on offense dropped passes were killing me. The second half starts hold him to a field goal. My first drive Td to jones. I get an interception on that drive i throw a swing pass to rb he takes off 84 yards breaking three tackles at the five yard line. I make him punt two more times. I get the ball and throw a post to jennings who takes it to the house. game tied at 24 with two minutes left and I on my 3 yard line two drop passes to my tightend I only manage to get it to my 45 i just kneel on the ball with 9 sec left. we go into overtime he get the ball i get him 3rd and 10 he comes out in f wide . I go with dime cover 2man and some how holmes gets free and walks in for td. good game though he was blitzing me the whole game finally got to the point of picking him apart. Aaron Rodger ended up with 100 yards rushing got a 65 yard off a scramble he came from my right playing man and there was anyone in front of me.

roethlisberger4pres 01-21-2011 01:51 AM

Why would you release Pennington he's so much better than Henne.

StreetCarp 01-21-2011 08:20 AM

I was playing the CPU on Madden 10. I was the Leprechauns (a created team, forgot the team style. Might have been strong offense/bad defense. The team's generated players turned out to be better than usual, though) against the Patriots. I found myself down 24-7 at halftime, but I stormed back to tie it up. It then turned into a shootout, with me winning 45-38.

The best part is in the next season (this was a franchise), I overcame a 24-7 deficit against the Patriots AGAIN. It was less exciting, though, because I only won 27-24.

Jeez, I can't wait for the final roster update so I can start a franchise again...good times...

MidnightClaw 01-21-2011 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roethlisberger4pres (Post 2042053701)
Why would you release Pennington he's so much better than Henne.

I don't know, like I said, I'm kinda regretting it now. But I just don't like Pennington. Not entirely sure, I just don't like him for some reason.

Also, I had another close game in my Miami Dolphins in Franchise. After the heartbreaking Buffalo lost (as I described in the first post), I lost to Minnesota in a blowout (it was like 10-49), then lost to the NYJ, 49-35 (closer game, but still not great). At this point, I'm 0-3, and in deep trouble going into a Monday Night game against the Pats. I beat them easily (forgot the score), so I upset them. I was now 1-3 going into the bye week. Then, I had a game against the Packers at Green Bay.

Green Bay got the ball first, and I was able to stop Grant, but Aaron Rodgers was picking apart my secondary. They scored and went up, 7-0. My drive was a three and out and resulted in a punt. Again, I was able to stop Grant and this time was able to get pressure on Rodgers, but he still picked apart the secondary. They had to settle for a FG, 10-0 Packers. I was able to get something going on my next drive. I had the ball around the fifty at the end of the first quarter. First play of the 2nd, Ronnie Brown scored on a Wildcat play. Score is 10-7.
This when my kickoff coverage started sucking. Green Bay's returner (I think Nelson) was able to return it to around the twenty yard line of my side of the field. Two plays later, Rodgers got his second TD of the day, 17-7. My next drive, Henne threw another INT (his like fifth of the year). But Green Bay couldn't do anything either and had to punt. Late in the second quarter, I had the ball. However, I couldn't get a score and the first half ended, 17-7. This is when my defense showed up to play. I had a three and out and had to punt. However, my defense was able to force a fumble from Grant and put me deep in their territory. Henne threw a TD pass to Bess three plays later (Henne's second TD of the year). Score is now 17-14.
I was able to stop Grant again and this time wwas able to stop Rodgers. They punted around four minutes left in the fourth. Two plays later, Williams (on a Wildcat run) took it deep in their territory. They stopped me then and I had to kick a FG, 17-17. At this point it was around a minute left in the final quarter.
I kicked off and GB's returner took it to MY ten yard line. :brickwall They kept running it with Grant, so I had to use my timeouts. Third down (18 seconds left), Grant scores. They go up 24-17. I knew I was going to lose with no timeouts. I was able to return it to the fifty (their kickoff coverage sucked to), and Ronnie Brown, on a Wildcat run, scores a TD with two second left. :headbang2
We go to OT. They win the toss and choose to receive. On third down and ten, Rodgers throws it to Grant and he's just short. They have to punt and I have the ball. I keep running it with Brown and Williams and able to get into FG Range. Carpenter comes out to kick it and it's right down the middle. I win, 27-24. :star:

Better then the Buffalo game because I had to comeback two times and one of those comebacks was with seconds in the game remaining. The next game against Pittsburgh, I won 27-10, so nothing special there. I think I found some good sliders, haha.

essyweb 02-21-2011 03:10 AM

I love games that come down to a last second FG or TD
:duel: