Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Madden 12 extra disc space solution? (/forums/showthread.php?t=466937)

TheCreep 01-31-2011 05:40 AM

Madden 12 extra disc space solution?

I'm thinking the Madden team can possibly free up disc space by getting rid of the onfield player celebration cut scenes and just have it all execute in real time. It actually looks better that way in my opinion.

Keep the sideline/coach cutscenes but get rid of the onfield cutscenes.
You all tracking with me on that? Thoughts?

Cre8 01-31-2011 07:21 AM

Re: Madden 12 extra disc space solution?

I think I understand where you are coming from...

Keep celebrations, etc.... just don't switch to a different camera angle every time these things occur. Keep it more along the 'gameplay' view and it will suffice?

guaps 01-31-2011 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCreep (Post 2042080853)
I'm thinking the Madden team can possibly free up disc space by getting rid of the onfield player celebration cut scenes and just have it all execute in real time. It actually looks better that way in my opinion.

Keep the sideline/coach cutscenes but get rid of the onfield cutscenes.
You all tracking with me on that? Thoughts?

Plenty of ways to increase disc space.

1) Eliminate ALL cut-scenes and do something similar to the Real Time Presentation of MLB The Show. It makes the whole gaming experience feel more organic.
2) Reduced the game intros to the bare minimum - I've seen enough cutscenes of Peyton Manning and other QBs steeping of bus to last me a lifetime.
3) Ship the game with only a few modes like Exhibition, Practice and Franchise Mode and make other modes (Superstar, Madden Moments, Online etc.) something you have to download.

And possibly--I don't know how much disc space you would save

4) revamp the ratings system to disc space, and allocate more processing power and memory to AI and animations.

The GIGGAS 01-31-2011 09:14 AM

Posted in 2008:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA (Post 2038486294)
Yeah just to re-affirm what's already been said:

- Graphics and gameplay DO fight for space, but not in a disc space way. They fight for memory, and as someone said, 360 and PS3 both have 512. If there was 1 gig of memory tomorrow, we'd have no problem adding something like fully stocked sidelines...it would probably be a one or two week task to finish. We could also double our animation numbers as well with no problems whatsoever. I pray the next consoles have like 4 gig of RAM or something absurd like that so we can really go crazy with more characters (that's usually the big limiter...not CPU cycles).
- We are not limited in disc space...we still fit fine on a DVD-DL...with TONS of room to spare on Blu-Ray. We're actually trying to think of ways to utilize Blu-Ray more next year to give PS3 a little extra love. Tutorials, trophies, HOF videos, gifs, EA Sports Extras, etc...have little to do with the in-game product other than the fact that time was spent on them initially that wasn't spent elsewhere. And of course now they have small "maintenance" costs each year. But nothing out in the menu systems (i.e. before you get into game) is limiting anything in gameplay.

Disc space is not a problem. RAM is the problem.

RazzBerry80 01-31-2011 10:42 AM

Develope on the PS3 and port/cram whatever you can fit into the xbox360 version.

100 Proof 01-31-2011 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The GIGGAS (Post 2042081006)
Posted in 2008:

Disc space is not a problem. RAM is the problem.

Well since Ian clarified that maybe someone can help me understand why 512MB of RAM is not enough to add all the things from last gen football games that played on consoles with 36-64MB of RAM?

I am not saying 512MB is a lot of memory but it's 8x-15x more than last gen consoles. I will stop this post short before I say something rude but when putting together of all the reasons that have been given over the years for next gen Madden not adding more, it all doesn't add up.

sniperhare 01-31-2011 05:30 PM

They should just use multiple discs. It worked fine on the PS1, it can work again.

I don't ever want lack of disc space to be an excuse for things not getting done, that's just a lazy answer by developers.

EA should give them the manpower and resources to turn Madden into the type of game the NBA 2K series produce. Something that improves the fundamentals while adding new features onto the game. Not adding gimmicks but continuing to use a bad game engine.

The GIGGAS 01-31-2011 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100 Proof (Post 2042082252)
Well since Ian clarified that maybe someone can help me understand why 512MB of RAM is not enough to add all the things from last gen football games that played on consoles with 36-64MB of RAM?

I am not saying 512MB is a lot of memory but it's 8x-15x more than last gen consoles. I will stop this post short before I say something rude but when putting together of all the reasons that have been given over the years for next gen Madden not adding more, it all doesn't add up.

We've gone from pixels, to low polygon 3d models, to what we have now at high polygon 3d models. Each model on the screen is hugely detailed and takes a lot of power to have 22 of them going at once. Granted, I don't know a lot of the technology, but RAM is the bottleneck. Disc space is not a bottleneck, and won't be until there's multiple gigs of ram in every console. That was the main point.

Code doesn't take up space, either way. The major thing that sucks up disc space is music and assets (images/textures, what have you). Code is tiny in comparison.