Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   IF they put Coaching Carousel in this year's game, what do you think it will be like? (/forums/showthread.php?t=467547)

creamsodaboy 02-04-2011 02:49 PM

IF they put Coaching Carousel in this year's game, what do you think it will be like?

This really intrigues me when it comes to talking about next year's game. I really hope it's something that they put in the game. I know many of us want it, and it would make total sense. With the way the NCAA has looked the past few years and coaches making so many changes, the business aspect of the game has really came out.

Anyways, it makes me wonder how exactly this will work. I'm sure some of my points have been pondered or explained elsewhere around the OS community, but I wanted to put in my two cents anyways.

In dynasty, I completely understand how it would work. You go to your school of choice, you have your assistants there. You have the chance to leave for a better job offer or a change of scenery, or your assistants get good enough to the point to where they earn a promotion on another staff, whether it be a position coach getting a coordinator job or a coordinator getting a head coaching gig. It all makes sense.

But what if they put a closed dynasty option in this years game, similar to the 2k College Hoops series used to have. You only get certain offers, and then you choose your assistants. Throughout the year, you obtain certain goals and feats through your season. When you complete these goals, you obtain attribute points that you can put towards things such as development and teaching. These points can be used towards yourself as a head coach, or given to your assistants.

Let's put ourselves in the position of Al Golden. He went to Temple, and turned an absolutely horrible team around. He gets a steady build going there, and Miami comes calling his name. Of course, he leaves for the Miami job. Now he has the decision if he wants to bring his staff with him (which most coaches do), or if he only wants to bring certain parts and look for new people to fill the holes, he's welcome to do that as well. Now lets say that his offensive coordinator goes with him to Miami. A couple weeks later, that OC is contacted by Temple to interview for the HC job. Temple offers him the job. He accepts. This leaves a vacant spot in the coaching staff. That you (or Golden in this matter) has to fill. He may go with a position coach and give him the promotion, he may not. If he doesn't, he goes elsewhere to fill the position. Maybe he looks at Alabama's staff, sees a young, promising WR coach that he wants to bring in for OC. You get permission to talk to that coach, and then it's up to him to decide if he wants to take the OC position or not.

I know that was a lot of rambling, but it made some sense to me. I know it may be a little complex for EA to get all in one shot, but I think that it would add an interesting and realistic aspect to the game.

BleedingGreen710 02-04-2011 05:50 PM

Re: IF they put Coaching Carousel in this year's game, what do you think it will be l

cool idea but sounds way too confusing for me :cloudy:.... lol

also I root for Temple and also just started a dynasty with them :waytogo:

I beat penn state :nocomprende:

Vaporub83 02-04-2011 06:00 PM

Re: IF they put Coaching Carousel in this year's game, what do you think it will be l

This is all great in theory, but the expectations are too high. IF the carousel were to be in NCAA 12 it would be just OC and DC no position coaches. Current college staffs have different position coaches, for example team A has a defensive line coach and team B has one Defensive End coach and one Defensive tackle coach.

That being said I would be happy for movement in the country where systems go with coaches. If the Navy coach went to Ohio State so would the triple option.

stcloudgopher 02-04-2011 06:13 PM

I think there are two ways to look at this: What we want to see, and what the devs would be expected to do. I touched on this in another thread, but I'll take this opportunity to expound on it here.

What I would like to see
1. Names don't matter. I don't care if it's "Joe Paterno" or, as it is, "PSU Coach." We have a dedicated and successful community that can tweak things to a great degree.
2. There needs to be a pretty significant emphasis on winning. To that end, there needs to be a profile built in for the schools. Temple isn't going to go crazy and fire a guy after back-to-back 6-6 seasons. Bama? Yeah, they should can a guy that can't get it done on a high level.
3. Assistants are needed as well. I do not agree with the OP about the depth of this, however. It would be great to have position coaches, but that seems a bit deep. (Just look at the difficulty with decent recruits. I could envision a scenario that involved all new coaches to be D- in pertinent categories.) Offensive and defensive coordinators would be enough.
4. Each coach should come equipped with a set of grades: Offense, Defense, Special Teams, Teaching, Leadership and Recruiting. I'll be quick with these:
Offense/Defense: The depth of game play knowledge that a coach possesses. For example: Bama Coach is an A+ defensively. This would be apparent when Bama plays a team whose coach is a C- offensively.
Special Teams: I'm not sure where to go with this one, but have a few ideas. The higher the grade, the more likely you are to get better punt/kick coverage. The higher the grade, the more likely recovery of an on-side kick would be. The higher the grade, the more likely a "Surprise On-side" show up as a selectable play -- though it would still only be a once-every-few-games-scenario.
Teaching: I thought about breaking this apart, but I would include a "strength coach" aspect to this as well. That could come or go, but the Teaching attribute would be how well you coach up the younger players. Week to week/postseason is another discussion.
Leadership: The ability to get a team focused and pumped up for a game. (Maybe that RS Fr. QB doesn't get as rattled for the road rivalry game.) Also the ability for your asst. coaches to become HC somewhere else. Though it will never, ever happen, this would be a nice addition if academic issues were brought back.
Recruiting: How well the asst. coaches recruit and/or how well the HC can close. I would love to see a revamped recruiting engine with this, but one thing at a time here.
Also tied into this is an attribute factor. If your HC and DC are both A+, maybe your D gets a decent boost (either off-season or game to game). If HC and OC are both D- defensively, maybe your D takes a bit of a hit. Same goes for the teaching, recruiting and everything else.
5. Incentive. There needs to be a reason to leave/stay. Maybe have a Legend meter for the coach. Otherwise, why would I leave my comfortable spot at Troy?
6. Make it matter. This is the biggest of all. Each coach (HC and assistants) would carry with them certain things, some of which we have now: Prestige, Experience, etc. These would be needed when recruiting athletes and while filling out a staff. But these also need to be more dynamic. The experience part should be the only thing to never fall. Prestige can take a hit with failed promises, leaving contracts with years on them, firing coaches, etc. (Yes, there needs to be a "fire coach" part.)
7. Career. So, as it stands, there is no replacement. Joe Pa is still at PSU at age 233. There needs to be some type of retirement/move to the pro's thing that happens to a few coaches each year. You get to choose when to do it for your coach.

What I expect to see will come in another post.

jbrew2411 02-04-2011 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stcloudgopher (Post 2042094278)
I think there are two ways to look at this: What we want to see, and what the devs would be expected to do. I touched on this in another thread, but I'll take this opportunity to expound on it here.

What I would like to see
1. Names don't matter. I don't care if it's "Joe Paterno" or, as it is, "PSU Coach." We have a dedicated and successful community that can tweak things to a great degree.
2. There needs to be a pretty significant emphasis on winning. To that end, there needs to be a profile built in for the schools. Temple isn't going to go crazy and fire a guy after back-to-back 6-6 seasons. Bama? Yeah, they should can a guy that can't get it done on a high level.
3. Assistants are needed as well. I do not agree with the OP about the depth of this, however. It would be great to have position coaches, but that seems a bit deep. (Just look at the difficulty with decent recruits. I could envision a scenario that involved all new coaches to be D- in pertinent categories.) Offensive and defensive coordinators would be enough.
4. Each coach should come equipped with a set of grades: Offense, Defense, Special Teams, Teaching, Leadership and Recruiting. I'll be quick with these:
Offense/Defense: The depth of game play knowledge that a coach possesses. For example: Bama Coach is an A+ defensively. This would be apparent when Bama plays a team whose coach is a C- offensively.
Special Teams: I'm not sure where to go with this one, but have a few ideas. The higher the grade, the more likely you are to get better punt/kick coverage. The higher the grade, the more likely recovery of an on-side kick would be. The higher the grade, the more likely a "Surprise On-side" show up as a selectable play -- though it would still only be a once-every-few-games-scenario.
Teaching: I thought about breaking this apart, but I would include a "strength coach" aspect to this as well. That could come or go, but the Teaching attribute would be how well you coach up the younger players. Week to week/postseason is another discussion.
Leadership: The ability to get a team focused and pumped up for a game. (Maybe that RS Fr. QB doesn't get as rattled for the road rivalry game.) Also the ability for your asst. coaches to become HC somewhere else. Though it will never, ever happen, this would be a nice addition if academic issues were brought back.
Recruiting: How well the asst. coaches recruit and/or how well the HC can close. I would love to see a revamped recruiting engine with this, but one thing at a time here.
Also tied into this is an attribute factor. If your HC and DC are both A+, maybe your D gets a decent boost (either off-season or game to game). If HC and OC are both D- defensively, maybe your D takes a bit of a hit. Same goes for the teaching, recruiting and everything else.
5. Incentive. There needs to be a reason to leave/stay. Maybe have a Legend meter for the coach. Otherwise, why would I leave my comfortable spot at Troy?
6. Make it matter. This is the biggest of all. Each coach (HC and assistants) would carry with them certain things, some of which we have now: Prestige, Experience, etc. These would be needed when recruiting athletes and while filling out a staff. But these also need to be more dynamic. The experience part should be the only thing to never fall. Prestige can take a hit with failed promises, leaving contracts with years on them, firing coaches, etc. (Yes, there needs to be a "fire coach" part.)
7. Career. So, as it stands, there is no replacement. Joe Pa is still at PSU at age 233. There needs to be some type of retirement/move to the pro's thing that happens to a few coaches each year. You get to choose when to do it for your coach.

That is about what I would have posted. There are so many working parts to this but should be doable. This is what the base should be then in future editions they can add upon this.

l3ulvl 02-04-2011 07:02 PM

I also like the idea of possibly being an offensive or defensive coordinator, only playing/coaching offense or defense, and only recruiting offensive or defensive players. If your team does really well and your HC leaves, you should become a candidate for his job if you performed well, or you could receive an offer from a larger school to be their coordinator, until you eventually get a HC offer somewhere small and build your way up again.

Another twist could be total control as the HC. Your playbooks are determined by YOUR choice of who to hire as OC and DC. If you were previously an OC, you decide your offensive playbook, then hire a DC that runs a scheme you like. Maybe that guy gets a gig somewhere and you have to replace him, but there's no one else available and suddenly you're running the 3-3-5 whether you like it or not. If you want to change playbooks mid season you'll have to fire the current coordinator and your coaching prestige may be affected. I feel like I'm rambling now, so I hope this made sense.

BleedingGreen710 02-04-2011 07:30 PM

How about the coaches impact the training and progression? That would be pretty cool and realistic :y15:

illwill10 02-04-2011 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stcloudgopher (Post 2042094278)

What I would like to see

I agree. Especially with Incentives. There has to be a reason to leave/stay at school. Not money, but something like choosing your OC/DC.
Create-A-Playbook would be great addition with this. We will have to decide if we are offensive/defensive minded. What ever team you/other coaches go to the new team automatically switches. You can set perferences(ex. speed Qb, power Rb, hard hitting cb). You can also include Recruits decommitng or players leaving when you switch schools. Coaches recruiting to their playstyle. Also, Users can start at a low school and work their way up. Our coaching grades will improve/decrease depending on team stats.