Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   OS Neighborhood (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   ODogg's Love Life Thread (/forums/showthread.php?t=489183)

ODogg 04-16-2011 12:45 AM

ODogg's Love Life Thread

Can any of you guys out there who have some experience in the proposal/engagement dept. give me some pointers on where to go to get my girlfriend an engagement ring? I went to Kaye's Jewelry tonight in the mall and it seemed pretty kosher and all but then got home and googled them when I got home tonight and all I see are reviews trashing them.

Any suggestions?

Gotmadskillzson 04-16-2011 12:53 AM

Re: Where is a good place to get an engagement ring at??

Albert's

Jarrett's

JC Penny

Walmart

Sears

All depends......Me personally I prefer the smaller local dealers.

Evan_OS 04-16-2011 12:57 AM

Spoiler

I'd recommend the places Gotmadskillzson suggested. Those places are about the only places you can go to get a ring in Nashville outside of local dealers.

The GIGGAS 04-16-2011 01:00 AM

You still in Richmond, ODogg? Or were you there in the first place?

Either way, if you're in Richmond, there's a place downtown called Bachrach's that I got my fiance's engagement ring at. As I already had a diamond (she wanted to use one of the diamonds in one of her mom's wedding rings), it was relatively cheap.

If not, you can pretty much disregard my advice. But I tried, dammit, and that's what's important.

Either way, congrats on taking the step, buddy! First, kicking the *** of cancer, and now dedicating yourself to your lady. A lot of life changes happenin' for you, man!

Taur3asi3 04-16-2011 01:04 AM

Tiffany's has nice rings.

kingkilla56 04-16-2011 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taur3asi3 (Post 2042310974)
Tiffany's has nice rings.

Yeah I would say Tiffany's. But then again, I have never shopped for an engagement ring. Congrats of having the girl you want to propose to. All the best to you man.

IndianBird 04-16-2011 07:40 AM

I have had no problem with Kay's. It's certainly not a discount store by any means. My now wife loves her ring and still gets compliments daily on it. Btw, don't cheap out. Get the lifetime protection package if you go with Kay's. It's like $120 and that gets you a couple free inspections every year as well as cleaning, which you'll need. Also, while you are still paying for the ring it has a warranty for replacement. Also, check out eBay bc people are always selling their Christmas bucks on there. I got like $900 worth for $120. Every little bit helps when you are buying an expensive piece of jewelry.

DickDalewood 04-16-2011 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndianBird (Post 2042311256)
I have had no problem with Kay's. It's certainly not a discount store by any means. My now wife loves her ring and still gets compliments daily on it. Btw, don't cheap out. Get the lifetime protection package if you go with Kay's. It's like $120 and that gets you a couple free inspections every year as well as cleaning, which you'll need. Also, while you are still paying for the ring it has a warranty for replacement. Also, check out eBay bc people are always selling their Christmas bucks on there. I got like $900 worth for $120. Every little bit helps when you are buying an expensive piece of jewelry.

This. Despite their terrible commercials, Kay is great. And like Indian said, ABSOLUTELY get the lifetime protection; you get it cleaned every six months, and if the diamond ever falls out, they replace it, no questions asked.

Other Guy 04-16-2011 09:52 AM

Got my girl's ring at Robbin's Brothers. Really nice store, but I don't think they have many B&M stores.

Blue Nile is good for a huge selection too.

SPTO 04-16-2011 11:57 AM

BTW congrats ODogg!

I've never shopped for engagement rings but sometimes the best thing to do is go to a smaller dealer. The best when it comes to the big ones is probably Kay.

Matt Diesel 04-16-2011 12:17 PM

Dude you're getting married?!!? Noooooooooo.. JK man. Congrats. Welcome to the club.

The smaller dealers had the more unique pieces when I was shopping around years ago. Don't discount them in your search.

It is also possible to buy the diamond from one place and a band from another to create a really unique ring. That is what I did and the difference is negligible. Sometimes a lot cheaper.

Buckeyes_Doc 04-16-2011 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndianBird (Post 2042311256)

I went to Kay also. My wife loves it and other people compliment on it a lot. I would just go to a lot of different jewlers around you and find one you like at a price you can afford.

Phobia 04-16-2011 03:42 PM

ODogg, congrats man on the big steps lately. I remember years ago you talking about struggling to meet a lady. Then find out you got cancer, your mom and her smoking issues, and then you meet someone. It is good to hear you have gone through the rough patches and come out in a better place. Congrats brother!!!

DickDalewood 04-16-2011 06:28 PM

Odogg's year so far:

1. Beats cancer
2. Getting engaged
3. NCAA Football finall has dreads

You sir, are on one hell of a roll :)

SPTO 04-16-2011 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DickDalewood (Post 2042312603)
Odogg's year so far:

1. Beats cancer
2. Getting engaged
3. NCAA Football finall has dreads

You sir, are on one hell of a roll :)

Maybe he'll win the Mega Million next.

The 24th Letter 04-16-2011 06:41 PM

Grats man!

Kays is great man. Thing about online reviews is that no matter what youll look up, youll find someone trashing it...

Kays gave me a excellent deal on my wifes ring

Aggies7 04-16-2011 11:52 PM

Congrats ODogg. I'd say check Jared's. Buddy of mine bought one there and it was nice.

countryboy 04-17-2011 06:03 PM

No ODogg!!!! No!!!!!

PVarck31 04-17-2011 10:08 PM

I am just throwing it out there and take it for what its worth. The big stores like Jared and even Kay's have some huge markups even for the lower quality diamonds.

I went to a local shop and got one for $800 where the exact same diamond would have cost $1500 at jared.

I would consider checking out some local places before making your decision.

Oh and congrats Odogg!!!

SuperBowlNachos 04-17-2011 11:29 PM

My brother got his at a store called The Jewelry Exchange

http://www.jewelryexchange.com/

He had 4k to spend so he wasn't going cheap. He got a pretty big stone and white gold band. They have stores around the country.

PVarck31 04-18-2011 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olliethebum85 (Post 2042315872)
My brother got his at a store called The Jewelry Exchange

http://www.jewelryexchange.com/

He had 4k to spend so he wasn't going cheap. He got a pretty big stone and white gold band. They have stores around the country.

Yep, jewelry exchange is a good place. Friend of mine got a ring there and it was very nice and priced very well.

Dog 04-18-2011 01:16 AM

Just subscribing to the thread to see any future responses.

gez20 04-21-2011 02:10 AM

My buddy bought one from Tiffany's, his girl was happy. I think he spent a pretty penny on it though.

BTW are you getting engaged to the same girl from that thread you made about relationships?

If so, nice work on progressing that relationship. I got into a relationship around the same time and I'm not even near that step.

Congrats.

Dallasin2K3 04-21-2011 03:10 AM

I have two posts not too long ago from a thread on the same subject:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2041869664

GL and congrats!

Wasted Penguins 04-21-2011 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODogg (Post 2042310928)
Can any of you guys out there who have some experience in the proposal/engagement dept. give me some pointers on where to go to get my girlfriend an engagement ring? I went to Kaye's Jewelry tonight in the mall and it seemed pretty kosher and all but then got home and googled them when I got home tonight and all I see are reviews trashing them.

Any suggestions?

Congrats bro!

I got my fiancées at Ashcroft and Oak. Exceptional customer service. Won't go anywhere else for any jewelry now!

http://www.ashcroftandoak.com/

FlyingFinn 04-22-2011 06:52 AM

Get you diamond at Blue Nile... best price and quality around. As for the actual ring, you can get a decent one any where.

fishepa 04-22-2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODogg (Post 2042310928)

Any suggestions?

I haven't read this whole thread, but I just wanted to suggest a local jeweler. And no price is set in stone, don't be afraid to haggle.

Trevytrev11 04-22-2011 11:42 AM

Stay away from the chain stores. Their markup is outrageous, even when you are getting 60% off.

Someone recomended the jewlery exchange. Most big cities have places like this. They deal in high volume and you can usually find a good deal.

Also, someone recomended bluenile.com. Another good place. Their reviews are very high. My brother went through them and was completely satisfied.

Also, check Sam's Club or Costco. They sell only higher quality diamonds and you pay very little markup compared to a Kay or Jared. You probably won't find much at a Sam's or Costco smaller than a carat, but you will pay 20-30% lower than the other major retail chains.

mgoblue 04-22-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevytrev11 (Post 2042330418)
Stay away from the chain stores. Their markup is outrageous, even when you are getting 60% off.

Someone recomended the jewlery exchange. Most big cities have places like this. They deal in high volume and you can usually find a good deal.

Also, someone recomended bluenile.com. Another good place. Their reviews are very high. My brother went through them and was completely satisfied.

Also, check Sam's Club or Costco. They sell only higher quality diamonds and you pay very little markup compared to a Kay or Jared. You probably won't find much at a Sam's or Costco smaller than a carat, but you will pay 20-30% lower than the other major retail chains.

Yeah, my girlfriend has a crazy friend who is very picky with rings and that girl would flip if someone went to the mall. They're not horrible, but you can find places elsewhere where you can get a better deal. I think crazy girl creates rings at the Shane Company website (you can create and buy rings there)...

AUChase 04-22-2011 02:26 PM

Best place I've found for jewelry is Diamonds Direct.

It may not be a nation wide company, though.. so I'd suggest a local place too.. big name jewelers are usually more pricy

skitch 04-22-2011 07:41 PM

Pawn shop.

65South 04-22-2011 09:48 PM

Congrats ODogg! Coming up on my first year anniversary, so a lot of this stuff is still fresh in my mind. A few others have mentioned on a national footprint, Sam's club, Costco, Blue nile -- for the diamond itself. I'll list a few places I went to here in Indy but not for sure where else they are available. I went to the following during my search; Jared, Shane Company, Distinctive Diamonds and Reis Nichols.

Good luck!

ODogg 06-18-2011 12:02 AM

Relationship advice

Hey all, ive been seeing my g/f for over a year, we live together now. Most of the time things are great but one issue. Whenever we watch a movie, listen to music , go to the movies, etc she seems to reject about everything I like and we always (well 95% of the time anyways) end up going with her movie, music, etc. I'm sick of it to be honest. We only watch her shows, enjoy her music in the car, etc.

Today I told her I wanted her to check out a movie I knew she would like and she just was adamant she absolutely would NOT watch it and we were going to watch a program she wanted. I finally gave her the remote and told her to watch whatever, that I didn't care anymore.

So any ideas? Am I just going to have to resign myself to a lifetime of only watching and listening to what I want whenever she is not at home?

bkrich83 06-18-2011 12:07 AM

re: ODogg's Love Life Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODogg (Post 2042501481)
Hey all, ive been seeing my g/f for over a year, we live together now. Most of the time things are great but one issue. Whenever we watch a movie, listen to music , go to the movies, etc she seems to reject about everything I like and we always (well 95% of the time anyways) end up going with her movie, music, etc. I'm sick of it to be honest. We only watch her shows, enjoy her music in the car, etc.

Today I told her I wanted her to check out a movie I knew she would like and she just was adamant she absolutely would NOT watch it and we were going to watch a program she wanted. I finally gave her the remote and told her to watch whatever, that I didn't care anymore.

So any ideas? Am I just going to have to resign myself to a lifetime of only watching and listening to what I want whenever she is not at home?

She must think you need her more than she needs you.

kingkilla56 06-18-2011 12:09 AM

I vote talk to her about it!

jeremym480 06-18-2011 12:10 AM

Either find a way to compromise or get a DVR.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Bighoff 06-18-2011 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingkilla56 (Post 2042501495)
I vote talk to her about it!

I second this, have a chat with her and find out why she's like this.

areobee401 06-18-2011 12:12 AM

You need to express to her how you feel about the situation. One of the best things about a serious relationship is the other introduces you to things you otherwise would have never given a chance. Both people will watch , listen , or go to a event they don't want to because it's important to the other.

Does that mean you give in every time? No , of course you don't. But for you to be the one to give in all the time is ridiculous. I think you need to explain the issue to her and go from there. If she isn't willing to attempt to honestly try on something as simple as this you may have a bigger problem to deal with.

Relationships just like almost everything in life are a 2 way street.

ODogg 06-18-2011 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkrich83 (Post 2042501488)
She must think you need her more than she needs you.

I think you're right..

Gotmadskillzson 06-18-2011 12:19 AM

That sucks.......You need to speak up now and nip it in the bud. Either she starts watching some of the stuff you like to watch or she needs to move on.

Can't just have it all one way. She must have grown up an only child or something and not use to sharing. My wife don't like my movies, but she will watch them, just like I will watch her boring chick flicks from time to time.