Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   does the running game seem a bit strong? (/forums/showthread.php?t=490511)

Broncos86 06-29-2011 02:38 PM

Re: does the running game seem a bit strong?

Quote:

Originally Posted by humb1e (Post 2042535809)
Confidence

79 rating-
slower acceleration when cutting through holes
less likely to break tackle because of lack of aggression
when changing direction it takes longer

89 rating
faster acceleration when cutting through holes
more likely to break tackle because of aggression
faster when changing directions

This is what I have come up with in 2 min. of brainstorming. I can answer your other questions which will take more brainstorming if you wish.

With a group of 60+ devlopers sitting at a table I am sure they could come up with better things but we are talking about ea....

If I am not mistaken those aren't ratings in madden games?(don't buy football games)

Madden will need an engine on par with the battlefield 3 engine to make a true to life football experience because madden doesn't replicate the sport in the slightest.

We're getting a confidence rating, and it works differently. Let me put it this way: It's up to me, as a gamer, to direct that player within the confines of the physical abilities of whoever I'm controlling. You will see a firestorm of upset "stick skill" gamers who will complain that their "baller" isn't right.

An integral part of Madden is that when I'm controlling a player, then my decisions trump whatever their life counterpart would've made.

humb1e 06-29-2011 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broncos86 (Post 2042535921)
We're getting a confidence rating, and it works differently. Let me put it this way: It's up to me, as a gamer, to direct that player within the confines of the physical abilities of whoever I'm controlling. You will see a firestorm of upset "stick skill" gamers who will complain that their "baller" isn't right.

An integral part of Madden is that when I'm controlling a player, then my decisions trump whatever their life counterpart would've made.

So what is the point of the confidence rating if your decisions trump the real life counter-part? Players should notice a difference between Chris Johnson and Deangelo Williams.

BezO 06-29-2011 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broncos86 (Post 2042535921)

Maybe EA could have an arcade option that eliminates transition animations... once they implement them.

I don't think the answer is to take away control. I think the answer is to include different transition animations for rating tiers. For example, many of us would like to see foot planting animations for changes in direction. Agile RBs would have quick plant & accelerate animations. Less agile RBs would have slower plant & accelerate animations. And I think gamers would be OK with it knowing Chris Johnson is quicker than Brandon Jacobs.

Outside of that I think the current ratings can handle it. For example, a RB with less confidence may be slower & less agile in traffic.

Broncos86 06-29-2011 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humb1e (Post 2042536068)
So what is the point of the confidence rating if your decisions trump the real life counter-part? Players should notice a difference between Chris Johnson and Deangelo Williams.

You should read up on the new features of Madden 12.

humb1e 06-29-2011 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broncos86 (Post 2042536187)

Went to read up on the features for gameplay

All-New Collision System – Now maintain full control of players up to the point of impact – from tackling to blocking – providing the most authentic collisions in franchise history. This new system uses a player’s momentum and over 100 new tackle animations, including 40 gang tackles, to provide more impactful hits, stolen tackles, and consecutive hit tackling.

All new collision system: How is that so when I see the same tackles from 4 years ago?

Player Momentum: That couldn't be a more blatant lie because I know when I play the demo for this game I will be able to run over lineman with the quarterback and pancake a brandon jacobs with a corner.

They aint tricking me. I am sure they have made improvements to the other game modes but gameplay is what matter most when when PLAYING a video game in my opinion.

Advanced Defensive AI – Over 100 defensive A.I. enhancements resulting in the smartest Madden defense ever. Players in zone and man coverage will properly recognize and react to plays, including the ability to break out of assignments when appropriate, resulting in a defensive team that truly works together.

This sounds nice but I know we will continue to see the same issues that the community has been pointing out for years. Based on playing NCAA the zone defense has seemingly improved. I will give you that.

CRMosier_LM 06-29-2011 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humb1e (Post 2042535809)
Confidence

79 rating-
slower acceleration when cutting through holes
less likely to break tackle because of lack of aggression
when changing direction it takes longer

89 rating
faster acceleration when cutting through holes
more likely to break tackle because of aggression
faster when changing directions

This is what I have come up with in 2 min. of brainstorming. I can answer your other questions which will take more brainstorming if you wish.

With a group of 60+ devlopers sitting at a table I am sure they could come up with better things but we are talking about ea....

If I am not mistaken those aren't ratings in madden games?(don't buy football games)

Madden will need an engine on par with the battlefield 3 engine to make a true to life football experience because madden doesn't replicate the sport in the slightest.

So you don't get football games but you are qualified to bash the developers? Wow

humb1e 06-29-2011 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRMosier_LM (Post 2042536994)
So you don't get football games but you are qualified to bash the developers? Wow

Why are you so sensitive? Where in here is developer bashing. At what point in any of my posts have I called them names?

I am allowed to criticize a product I do not like.

Smoke6 06-29-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broncos86 (Post 2042536187)

Been there done that, we will be back here again soon, people are to adamant about making the game play as they see fit and for the most part its the negative side of the gaming community. Ears will be ringing and threads will be popping up everyday over whats been said in regards to the new things about M12.

More player control is a good thing, but at the least we can keep it somewhat realistic. No one should be moving full speed when making cuts or coming into and out of an animation such as a spin or a hurdle. Foot planting is the "key" ingredient in all of this and this is why...

With foot planting, proper abilities and movement can make or break your momentum, your rhythm, and your accuracy among other things. A QB who is running backwards and throws off his back foot has "improper balance and hand eye coordination. You can see instances of this in several draft combine scouting footage of QBs in the league with the main guy being Ryan Mallett. He was heavily criticized for this and John Gruden pointed this flaw out specifically.

Now lets transition this over to madden, im pretty sure I can pull up several vids of this occurring but we all should get the point right now about that aspect with the QB.

Running animation with foot planting...

This is very crucial for HB's, plant your foot wrong or improperly and i could be season to career ending injury for you, but im gonna dumb it down a bit and say it can cost you a few yards or a TD. No man on earth can maintain they maximum rate of speed when having to physically alter the position or direction in which they are traveling, we even see this with "cars". I have seen people in madden make cuts in this game on both sides of the ball that should have paralyzed them from the neck down.

On the defensive side of this its very simple, many of us have seen defenders make amazing unrealistic plays on the ball while there forward speed and momentum should have not allowed for this at all. The infamous "phsychic abilities" would not exist if we indeed have a true "foot planting system in place".

Example: You are running a route across the middle of the field and your opponent have sent an all out blitz and you read it. You strike towards the Slot WR who is manned up only to have the blitzing LB stop and turn on a dime and pick the ball off while contorting his body in a manner that is insufficient with his speed and momentum. If he would have had to have "planted his feet", then the success rate of making any kind of play on the ball would have been impossible as his forward momentum and speed would have prevent that in a way his body has to accomodate for a particular type of reaction that is only allowed during certain instances and most goes against the law of gravity and physics.

This would essentially add that Risk vs Reward factor we all have been looking for, by stopping players who go against the boundries of the physical limitations of the players in this game. No more seeing people manually bring everyone to the LOS, as this risk by far is higher than the reward in these cases.

Following me?

So yes, even if you are in denial of this fact, you are basically part of the problem. I posted some screens of madden 06 and showed just how degraded this engine had became since it launched on nex gen systems. If im not mistaken, the devs conceded to the fact that engine was not working as they expected and imo they should have stuck with it.