Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Basketball Dynasties (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=190)
-   -   The Legend Of Kobe Bryant: Los Angeles Lakers Dynasty (/forums/showthread.php?t=490882)

CoachGreg 06-30-2011 01:12 AM

The Legend Of Kobe Bryant: Los Angeles Lakers Dynasty

2 Attachment(s)

Hello everyone,

I would like to take the time to thank you for viewing and following my thread. I am not only a Los Angeles Lakers devoted fan, but I'm also a devoted fan to Kobe Bryant. Since he was drafted and traded to the Lakers I have been a loud voice for him in conversation, chat rooms and forums. His off the court matters are not relevant to his basketball career on the court. Many young people today did not grow up watching Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, but since I'm 30, I got to see all three of them play a majority of their career. I was boring after Magic Johnson had led the Lakers to the 1980 championship and it wasn't until I was at least 3 years old that I remember watching my first Lakers game with my grandfather. I have seen every game that Kobe Bryant has ever played even though there are a vast majority of people who have a biased opinion of him as a person they refuse to acknowledge or give him his due credit. No question that he has been the NBA focal point for marketing and unquestionably the player of the decade through 2000-2010. Regardless of who he played with during his five championships he was instrumental in every single championship. Him being compared to Michael Jordan as the greatest player ever is a comparison that I do not indulge in. I do not believe that Michael Jordan is the greatest to ever play the game because of the great players that came before him and the great players that have come after him to this date and in the future. I will say that he was the best player in the game during his era (1990-1998) and that after Magic and Bird were gone he grabbed the top spot and did great things with it. The records that Kobe Bryant has either broken or set during his career shouldn't be compared to Jordan's because it's two different era's. Jordan did great things on the court and so does Kobe Bryant and to compare them to each other does both of them a disservice. Personally, I would not want to be called the next "Michael Jordan", but I'd rather be referred to as the first "Kobe Bryant."

So to honor Kobe Bryant for his incredible work ethic to his profession and his utter desire to succeed I am making this franchise (dynasty).

Now for a little background on this dynasty...

This will take place at the start of the 2010-11 season. All player movement such as the Carmelo Anthony trade, Kendrick Perkins trade, Shane Battier trade, all those player movements are included into this custom roster set that myself and others on here created. The roster set is based on the KG roster that was re-edited using the OS collaboration roster set. I helped with the data input on tendencies and also on freelance tendencies. So I will being this Lakers franchise (association mode) with the 2010-11 season just about to get underway and I will run this franchise on NBA 2K11 until Kobe Bryant decides to retire.

I hope you all have a great time reading and if you have any suggestions on how I can make this thread and the information even more exciting I welcome all your thoughts.

CoachGreg 06-30-2011 01:24 AM

The Legend Of Kobe Bryant: A busy off season

1 Attachment(s)
After one of the most watched and admired NBA Finals matchups in NBA history, the Lakers come into the free agent period with a wondering eye on how to add some veteran poise and some athleticism to their bench mob that was a question mark during their latest championship run. Not quite sure if they have the cap space to retain several key free agents of their own, the Lakers will most likely have to look to other candidates with the desire to play for less with the chance to win that ring. It's one of the rare selling points the Lakers have when it comes to signing free agents. Mitch Kupchak, Jerry Buss, Jim Buss, and the entire Lakers organization is committed as always to competing at the top level and for a championship. Anything less than that is unacceptable in this organization and failure is never tolerated. While the Lakers might not win every championship at the very least to play for the championship is what this organization is all about. Now with 16 NBA championships, only one behind their biggest rival, the Boston Celtics, the Lakers hope to come into the 2010-11 season with a rejuvenated fire and purpose. Only two other franchises have done what the Lakers are attempting to do and that is win three consecutive championships (1960's Boston Celtics, 1990-92 Chicago Bulls & 1996-98 Chicago Bulls). The Lakers have themselves collected three consecutive championships at the beginning of the decade (2000-2002), but now on course to complete this mission that only two other franchises have achieved.

CoachGreg 06-30-2011 01:59 AM

The Legend Of Kobe Bryant: Lakers free agent signing

1 Attachment(s)
Lakers start free agent period with veteran point guard
Attachment 33813
LOS ANGELES, CA - The Los Angeles Lakers have agreed on a four-year, $16 million contract with veteran point guard, Steve Blake. Blake refused offers from five other teams for a chance to play alongside Kobe Bryant as the Lakers go for a third consecutive championship next season.

The highly-sought after backup point guard will earn $4 million salary in each of the four seasons of his contract, and all of the money is guaranteed.

It is not yet clear whether Blake will come off the bench or start for the team, as this year’s starting point guard Derek Fisher has not been resigned by the team.

Blake is a seven-year veteran who was considered among the few quality point guards available in this year’s free agent market. While many other teams are looking to land big-name free agents like LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh the Lakers instead found themselves trying to shore up their one major weakness.

Going into the offseason the defending champions understood that they needed to find a solution to their point guard problem. Even if Fisher does resign with the team, he is no longer considered capable of playing starters minutes throughout the duration of an entire season. The uncertain status of Jordan Farmar, who has expressed interest in starting even if it is for another team, made Blake a “must-get.”

Blake averaged 6.8 points and 6.1 assists last season with the Clippers, and hit 43% of his three pointers. While a little small at only 6-3, he is considered a solid defender and should be no worse at guarding the elite point guards of the league than the players currently on the Lakers roster.

The Lakers will be Blake’s sixth team after time with Washington, Milwaukee, Denver, Portland and the Clippers.

CoachGreg 06-30-2011 02:14 AM

The Legend Of Kobe Bryant: Lakers add two more free agents

2 Attachment(s)
Lakers continue overhaul of bench mob with two more additions
LOS ANGELES, CA - The Los Angeles Lakers have signed free agent forward Matt Barnes, it was announced today by General Manager Mitch Kupchak. Per team policy terms of the contract were not released.

Barnes, a seven-year NBA veteran, appeared in 81 games (58 starts) last season with Orlando, averaging 8.8 points, 5.5 rebounds and 1.7 assists in 25.9 minutes while posting five double-doubles and leading the Magic in scoring six times, in rebounds on four occasions and in assists twice.

Originally selected by the Memphis Grizzlies in the second round (46th overall pick) of the 2002 NBA Draft, Barnes has averaged 7.3 points, 4.4 rebounds and 1.7 assists in 444 career games (162 starts).

A 6’7” forward, Barnes played four seasons collegiately at UCLA where he became the 43rd player in school history to reach 1,000 career points and helped the Bruins reach the NCAA Sweet 16 in each of his last three seasons.

Attachment 33816
The Los Angeles Lakers have also signed free agent center Theo Ratliff, it was announced today by General Manager Mitch Kupchak. Per team policy terms of the contract were not released.

“I’ve had a long and very rewarding career, and joining a storied and legendary franchise such as the Lakers adds an even more special element,” Ratliff said. “I look forward to playing for Coach Jackson and with great players such as Kobe, Derek, Pau, Lamar, Ron Artest, Andrew Bynum and all my other new teammates, and hopefully to helping the Lakers win a third straight championship.”

Ratliff, a 15-year NBA veteran, appeared in 49 games (29 starts) last season with the San Antonio Spurs and Charlotte Bobcats, averaging 3.6 points, 3.2 rebounds and 1.24 blocks in 16.4 minutes. Acquired from the Spurs on February 18, Ratliff started 26-of-28 games with Charlotte, averaging 5.1 points, 4.2 rebounds and 1.54 blocks while finishing the season ranked 12th league-wide in blocks per 48 minutes (3.63).

“Theo has long been considered to be one of the best defensive big men in the league,” said Kupchak. “He is a consummate professional and a welcome addition to our team. Together with Bynum, Gasol, Odom and Artest, he gives us a formidable and deep front line.”

Originally selected by the Detroit Pistons in the first round of the 1995 NBA Draft (18th overall), Ratliff has twice been named to the NBA All-Defensive Second Team (1999 and 2004), has led the league in blocked shots three times (2000-01, 2002-03 and 2003-04) and is one of seven players in NBA history to capture the blocked shots title three or more times. Voted the starting center in the 2001 NBA All-Star Game, Ratliff ranks 18th in NBA history in career blocked shots (1,963) and owns career averages of 7.3 points, 5.7 rebounds, 2.45 blocks and 25.5 minutes in 800 games.

CoachGreg 06-30-2011 02:23 AM

The Legend Of Kobe Bryant: Lakers sign draft picks

2 Attachment(s)
Lakers continue to add to roster with signings of 2010 draft picks
EL SEGUNDO - The Los Angeles Lakers have signed forward Devin Ebanks, it was announced today. Per team policy, terms of the agreement were not released.

Selected by the Lakers with the 43rd pick in the 2010 NBA Draft, Ebanks, a 20 year-old early entry candidate out of West Virginia University, played two seasons for the Mountaineers, averaging 11.2 points, 7.9 rebounds and 2.6 assists in 69 games. Named to the Big East All-Rookie and All-Tournament team as a freshman and selected All-Big East Third Team as a sophomore, the 6’9” forward posted 16 career double-doubles at West Virginia and led the team in rebounding during each of his two seasons.

Additionally, Ebanks started all five games for the Lakers 2010 Summer League entry in Las Vegas, averaging 15.0 points, 3.6 rebounds and 1.4 assists in 33.3 minutes.

The Lakers other second-round draft pick, Derrick Caracter, a 6-9 big man selected No. 58 out of the University of Texas El Paso, has also agreed to terms with the team. Caracter is flying out to Los Angeles on Thursday to officially sign with the team Friday, according to Caracter's agent, Happy Walters.

Walters said Caracter's deal is guaranteed at the rookie minimum for 2010-11 with a team option in place worth approximately $788,000 for the following season.

CoachGreg 06-30-2011 02:34 AM

The Legend Of Kobe Bryant: Lakers resign co-captain

1 Attachment(s)
Lakers agree to new deal with Fisher, says "I couldn't leave Kobe"
EL SEGUNDO - The Los Angeles Lakers have been throughly enjoying their offseason so far after winning their second straight NBA title, but their much deserved downtime hasn’t come without a fair share of speculation and uncertainty surrounding next season and the possibility of competing for a three-peat.

The one thing the Los Angeles Lakers and GM Mitch Kupchak were concerned about heading into the NBA offseason was re-signing Hall of Fame head coach Phil Jackson for one more season. There was a lot rumors flying around that the Zen Master was ready to call it quits as he seemed to be heavily leaning towards finally walking away from the game.

Fortunately, Phil Jackson decided to stay for one more year in an attempt to win his fourth three-peat during his enormously successful NBA career.

Needless to say, the Lakers and their loyal fans were finally able to stop holding their breath and look forward to another championship caliber season, but it didn’t take long before the speculation surrounded the franchise once again making many Lakers fans nervous as five-time NBA champion Derek Fisher became free agent and was being pursued by the new superpower in the NBA in the Miami Heat.

Reportedly, the Miami Heat’s president and former Lakers legend Pat Riley flew the future Hall of Famer out to Miami for a meeting to talk about a possible future with the Heat. Not only was Fisher treated like royalty with a private plane, but he had LeBron James waiting for him at the airport to help convince the five-time NBA champ to sign with Miami.

Even though the Miami Heat have taken on a new look with the addition of LeBron James, Chris Bosh and a re-signed Dwyane Wade, Derek Fisher ultimately decided to return to the Los Angeles Lakers. The one big problem with the Lakers and the re-signing of Fisher was the money. The Lakers weren’t willing to pay Fisher what he wanted, but the Heat were and that might have been the main reason he would’ve signed with Miami.

Fortunately, the money didn’t turn out to be the deciding factor as Kobe Bryant said that the Lakers “need” Derek Fisher and the team should do everything within their power to re-sign him.

As a result, Derek Fisher agreed to sign a deal worth $10.5 million over the next three years with the third year being the player’s option

CoachGreg 06-30-2011 02:43 AM

The Legend Of Kobe Bryant: Lakers guard chooses to resign for rings not money

1 Attachment(s)
Shannon Brown turns down several lucrative offers for opportunity to wear another ring

El SEGUNDO - Guard Shannon Brown will return to the Los Angeles Lakers for a shot at their third straight championship.

Brown's agent, Mark Bartelstein, told The Associated Press on Thursday that the high-flying guard agreed to a two-year deal worth $4.6 million to return for his third season with Los Angeles.

The Lakers acquired Brown in a trade in early 2009, and he quickly earned a role in their rotation as a backup to Kobe Bryant. Brown averaged 8.1 points and 2.3 rebounds last season while playing solid defense for the Lakers.

After opting out of his contract earlier this summer, Brown considered more lucrative offers from several teams, including New York, Cleveland and New Orleans.

CoachGreg 06-30-2011 05:03 AM

The Legend Of Kobe Bryant: Lakers make final cuts, trade for #1 pick

1 Attachment(s)
Lakers put together opening night roster, Vujacic traded to Nets
LOS ANGELES, CA - Preparing for the 2010-11 season to get underway after a long grueling pre-season month, the Lakers finished up business today finalizing their opening night roster. To nobody's surprise the roster filled out exactly as most expected when training camp opened up at the beginning of October. The Lakers did make one final move before submitting the roster to the league office. The Lakers having decided that their back court was a little overcrowded made the decision to trade backup guard and fan favorite Sasha Vujacic to the New Jersey Nets in return for veteran power forward Joe Smith. As part of a 3-team trade, the Nets also sent forward Terrence Williams to the Rockets. The Lakers also gave New Jersey a 2011 first round pick and received two second round picks from the Nets as well as the rights to Sergei Lishchuk from the Rockets. So the Lakers roster is now complete and has been submitted to the league for opening night. The Lakers enter the regular season for the first in awhile with the maximum 15 players on the roster, but are expected to send Johnson, Ebanks and Caracter to the D-League to get some work in with the Baskersfield Jam.