Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   ESPN NFL 2K5 Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Wow... Just... Wow (/forums/showthread.php?t=49376)

PadresFan104 09-03-2003 02:44 PM

Wow... Just... Wow

Long time lurker... this is probably my first post on these boards...

I'm 34 and I've probably played and enjoyed every video based football game, including that great arcade one from the early 80's with the black and white x's and o's that you played with a trackball. I didn't play the demo for ESPN Football, but I did buy both Madden and Fever, and neither impressed me. I'm in my second career season with NCAA 2004, which I *am* enjoying.

Today I went to EB to pick up a copy of ESPN, and they had a copy of it playing in one of their kiosks. I am not exaggerating when I say I began grinning from ear to ear reacting to what I was looking at. The presentation of this game is what I have been waiting for since the days of the Atari 2600. My kids often ask me when video games will look like real life and you won't be able to tell the difference between reality and a game. In my opinion, this is the closest anyone has got to that mark.

I've read plenty of reviews from sites and peeps who describe the game as just like an ESPN broadcast, but until you actually see the game in action, it's impossible to appreciate what they are saying.

Still grinning, I exited the CPU/CPU mode and started up a game between the Raiders and Chargers. The pre-game was great, with only a slight hitch from Chris B. between the scripted dialog and the team names. The graphics from the ESPN broadcast were dead-on.

I only played long enough to score a TD with LT, but the game "felt" great, and the in-game presentation had me jabbering with Eddie (my favorite EB salesman) like a true video game geek.

I'm on this weird kind of video game high right now, which is rare for this jaded "older" guy, and I am certainly going to have a hard time focusing on work for the next 5 hours.

I hope to get a chance to play on line with some of you guys sometime....

Klocker 09-03-2003 02:50 PM

Re: Wow... Just... Wow

agreed....I went in to pick up the game and my local Game Crazy "buddy" threw a copy in the store TV that we played a bit....WOW.

As I was paying for my copy, I swear I had a little buzz going.

I am very pleased.

Superfly 09-03-2003 02:51 PM

I think people like us (I'm 28) who played that trackball game can appreciate these games better than most. I remember being blown away by 10-Yard Fight, thinking it was mankind's greatest technological achievement.

**DONOTDELETE** 09-03-2003 02:52 PM

Thanks for your thoughts, man. I too am an older gamer, (not quite THAT old lol!) but my advice to you is to keep on lurkin'. Stay off these cotton-pickin' boards. They're hazardous to your health!

bo69 09-03-2003 02:59 PM

Great Post! This game is great! I just hope they keep the rosters up to date. I beat you all I am "45" and even this old dude loves this game.

Aceman 09-03-2003 03:01 PM

I think I am PadresFan's younger brother (I'm only 31). But I echo your exact thoughts.

Man, bringing up that X's & O's arcade game sure brings back the memories!

dguru 09-03-2003 03:04 PM

36yr old gamer here and played them all>You can throw the old saying "IT'S OFF THE RICHTER SCALE" right out the nearest window.They need to create a whole new RICHTER SCALE for this one!Its awsome baby,just awsome............

**DONOTDELETE** 09-03-2003 03:08 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />
Superfly said:
I think people like us (I'm 28) who played that trackball game can appreciate these games better than most. I remember being blown away by 10-Yard Fight, thinking it was mankind's greatest technological achievement.

<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">

RIGHT ON!!! I've echoed those sentiments time and again. Man them young bucks who can only remember back to when PSone came out or maaaybe the Genesis can't truly appreciate games like we can. We are privileged because we are able to Marvel like no others can. Shoot, I remember when Atari 2600 was the "new" thing! LOL!
Before that, we had this little thing that plugged into your TV called interprex. It had pong, hockey, etc.