Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   NCAA Football Sliders (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Which Quarter Length Gives Realistic Play Totals (/forums/showthread.php?t=497135)

RogueHominid 07-25-2011 10:08 AM

Which Quarter Length Gives Realistic Play Totals

Self-explanatory thread. I see the general tendency in the sliders threads is 8 minutes, though Matt10 goes 10. I'm at 8 right now but am considering going up to 9 or 10. Thoughts on this?

Also, for those who like longer quarter lengths and realistic numbers of plays, do you do anything slider-wise to keep scores realistic?

miamikris 07-25-2011 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trojan Man (Post 2042649971)
Self-explanatory thread. I see the general tendency in the sliders threads is 8 minutes, though Matt10 goes 10. I'm at 8 right now but am considering going up to 9 or 10. Thoughts on this?

Also, for those who like longer quarter lengths and realistic numbers of plays, do you do anything slider-wise to keep scores realistic?

For most realistic play totals I would say 9 or 10 min.Unless you run No-Huddle the whole game,then I would say 8.I don't run alot of No-Huddle and I play 9 Coach-Mode style.I usually get anywhere from 115-150 depending on the teams and how much No-Huddle is run.The NCAA average for plays a game is I believe around 136-140 per game.

RogueHominid 07-25-2011 11:02 AM

Re: Which Quarter Length Gives Realistic Play Totals

Quote:

Originally Posted by miamikris (Post 2042650126)
For most realistic play totals I would say 9 or 10 min.Unless you run No-Huddle the whole game,then I would say 8.I don't run alot of No-Huddle and I play 9 Coach-Mode style.I usually get anywhere from 115-150 depending on the teams and how much No-Huddle is run.The NCAA average for plays a game is I believe around 136-140 per game.

OK. I'm probably 25 plays per game short on average @ 8 mins. I really want to get those numbers right, but I don't want consistent scores in the 30s and 40s for both teams, which is what I feel like I'd get.

While I don't like the idea of messing more with the speed threshold slider any more than where MK has it (43), it might be necessary to up it so that the extra plays don't equate to too many more big plays. As it stands I already see more than my share of long plays with the speed threshold where it is.

Are there other ideas about how to increase the number of plays while not creating bloated scores that don't include manipulating the speed threshold slier?

mudtiger 07-25-2011 11:40 AM

Quarter lengths depends on how fast a play caller you are. If you call plays quickly and get a lot off, something shorter than 10 minutes definitely. If you get plays off with about 10-15 seconds left on the play clock give or take 5 seconds, 10 minutes works out pretty well.

The game can be tweaked for realistic total plays, average yards per play, and average points scored over the course of a season for at least weaker teams (army) with 10 minute quarters. Not sure about decent teams with more powerful offenses though. You'd need to probably bump D up some to produce more stalled drives.

RogueHominid 07-25-2011 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudtiger (Post 2042650294)
Quarter lengths depends on how fast a play caller you are. If you call plays quickly and get a lot off, something shorter than 10 minutes definitely. If you get plays off with about 10-15 seconds left on the play clock give or take 5 seconds, 10 minutes works out pretty well.

The game can be tweaked for realistic total plays, average yards per play, and average points scored over the course of a season for at least weaker teams (army) with 10 minute quarters. Not sure about decent teams with more powerful offenses though. You'd need to probably bump D up some to produce more stalled drives.

Yeah, I think defense-heavy sliders would have to be a must. You want QBs to complete a decent percentage of passes, but at least I want for those passes to go for fewer yards on average than what I'm currently seeing, both from the HUM and CPU perspectives. That's probably the trickiest part. I feel like the run game is a little easier to tweak to give realistic results.

What sliders are you using to get good total scores and stats at the 10 minute level?

mudtiger 07-25-2011 01:21 PM

see

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...2-sliders.html

Specifically post 15 for a comparison of real life army 2010 stats and my 2011 army season stats.

dochalladay32 07-25-2011 03:49 PM

I play 10 minutes and always fall in the correct range, no matter my style.

0 no huddle teams = 120-140

1 no huddle team = 130-150

2 no huddle teams = 140-160

Works just fine for me. It's different for each person.

RogueHominid 07-25-2011 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dochalladay32 (Post 2042651228)
I play 10 minutes and always fall in the correct range, no matter my style.

0 no huddle teams = 120-140

1 no huddle team = 130-150

2 no huddle teams = 140-160

Works just fine for me. It's different for each person.

Cool, and your stats and scores seem about right? I'm gonna look at those sliders you posted, Mudtiger.

Doc Halladay, what are your sliders at?

Thanks!