Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Gameinformer review (/forums/showthread.php?t=505001)

jorge380 08-26-2011 11:16 AM

Gameinformer review

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/ma...26/fumble.aspx

Sublime12089 08-26-2011 11:26 AM

Re: Gameinformer review

Wow, not that I place much stock in them but mainstream reviews dont seem to be too flattering so far. Thanks for posting btw

bh446066 08-26-2011 11:27 AM

very contrary to what being reported here. Interesting.

jagsrock95 08-26-2011 11:31 AM

What BS I was looking at their NCAA 12 Review and they gave it a glowing 9.0 while pointing out some of the same issues.

JohnDoe8865 08-26-2011 11:59 AM

Just one review, but so far one of the most damning... not sure if I need this game on release day anymore.

Spanky 08-26-2011 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagsrock95 (Post 2042768028)
What BS I was looking at their NCAA 12 Review and they gave it a glowing 9.0 while pointing out some of the same issues.

They gave that P.O.S. NCAA 12 a 9? Is you serious?

That destroys any credibility they have, as far as I'm concerned.

kjcheezhead 08-26-2011 12:03 PM

Wow, this review stuns me. I have never seen Madden score less than 8 on any review by anyone on these systems, going all the way back to the nightmare games of 06 and 07.

Thankfully I plan on focusing on online play and knew about online franchise going in. If I was a offline guy, I'd def hold off after reading this.

Cpterp22 08-26-2011 12:09 PM

I would trust OS reviews more than these anymore.. Not saying he is right on with his review, but he did give NCAA 9.0 :boxing:

Giants4Natic 08-26-2011 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnDoe8865 (Post 2042768111)
Just one review, but so far one of the most damning... not sure if I need this game on release day anymore.

One bad review which makes zero sense and you are now saying you wont get it.

Might as well not bother getting it if your opinion is swayed by one bad review compared to many good ones.

jpdavis82 08-26-2011 12:14 PM

This review is a real head scratcher, NCAA 12 gets a 9.0 when it actually improved less than Madden 12, way less compared with NCAA/Madden 11 IMO. Also the fact that this review seems to be the only one scoring the game this low. I think anything lower than 8 for Madden 12 is probably not warranted based on what I know and have read about it from other reviews, mainly what Pastapadre had to say about it and he has had spent more time with the game than just about any of these guys and his impressions are very in depth, it's a great overview of the game IMO and I highly recommend everyone read it.

CYST2000 08-26-2011 12:19 PM

Well I was going to buy the collectors edition, but now I know better. And please stop this, "It's just one review" BS! I remember them also giving NCAA a 9.0, but if the glaring issues from that game gets a 9.0, then how bad is Madden? I for one like GI, and a lot of their reviews seem to be pretty spot on, so I will take the review to heart.

And besides, they reviewed the un-patched version of NCAA 12. You know, the one everybody that got it early was raving about, but as soon as the day one patch came out is when all the issues arrived.

Josh_Looman 08-26-2011 12:21 PM

At the end of the day, we made the game for the fans, not reviewers.

I never designed one franchise feature this year with any thought to how Game Informer would like it.

Keep in mind....they gave Head Coach 09 a 25 out of 100.

Everything we added in franchise mode was requested by you guys...at the end of the day, if you guys are happy = reviews don't matter.

KCsFinest5 08-26-2011 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh_Looman (Post 2042768180)

I never designed one franchise feature this year with any thought to how Game Informer would like it.

Everything we added in franchise mode was requested by you guys...at the end of the day, if you guys are happy = reviews don't matter.

Don't worry, the bottom line here is results. You guys have always delivered for me.

bkrich83 08-26-2011 12:23 PM

Quote:

This says it all. I found HC 09 to be groundbreaking in it's franchise mode. It was literally everything I could ask for, and they gave it a 25.

Not that I put any stock in to reviews or review scores anyway. For my tastes the best reviewer and the only one I trust is myself.

Initially, and I've only played 1 quarter, I would say outside of the commentary my impressions of Madden are positive. Which is odd, since I normally hate Madden.

JohnDoe8865 08-26-2011 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giants4Natic (Post 2042768147)

Might as well not bother getting it if your opinion is swayed by one bad review compared to many good ones.

I see we are going off the deep end today. I never said I wasn't gonna get it, I'm undecided. What I said was that I'm not sure I need it on RELEASE DAY anymore, b/c of some of the issues that bother me. I decided after NCAA's debacle that I was going to wait for reviews/impressions and that's exactly what I'm doing. If after a week or so, people are still high on Madden on OS, and aren't screaming for a patch, like NCAA 12 needs, then I'll look at picking it up.

:34:

bkrich83 08-26-2011 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnDoe8865 (Post 2042768200)
I see we are going off the deep end today. I never said I wasn't gonna get it, I'm undecided. What I said was that I'm not sure I need it on RELEASE DAY anymore, b/c of some of the issues that bother me. I decided after NCAA's debacle that I was going to wait for reviews/impressions and that's exactly what I'm doing. If after a week or so, people are still high on Madden on OS, and aren't screaming for a patch, like NCAA 12 needs, then I'll look at picking it up.

:34:

JD, I will say initially, as someone who normally doesn't like Madden, the game has potential to be a very good game. Really liked what little time I had with it. Will play more today obviously. It's still very early, but I am optimistic after a little bit of play time. I'll be posting stuff on Twitter later today as I play.

mattbertz 08-26-2011 12:29 PM

Quote:

IGN gave it a 25/100. Game Informer gave it a 6.75/10.

TombSong 08-26-2011 12:30 PM

As with all reviews all that really matters is what was true and what was not true in what he said ?

Quote:

"I love this concept, but you can’t find out enough info on players even if you scout them multiple times. Worse yet, you don’t even have the combine numbers for the players you don’t scout."
Is that true or not true ?

Quote:

"Why do plays disappear in the GameFlow menu when I cycle through them, and why can’t I see the formations these plays are run from?"

Quote:

The presentation, with its cool NFL Films-like shaky cams, can’t correctly name the Gatorade Impact Player of the Game. I once saw it call out a QB with a rating of 13.9! Finally, more legacy gameplay problems must be cleared up. Linebackers still jump obnoxiously high to block passes on the higher difficulties, players can be unaware of the ball, secondaries drop many gimme INTs, WRs lack any aggression going after the ball, true gang tackles are missing, and punt and kickoff blocking is still horrible.

Ultimately we can scream on peoples opinions of the game one way or the other, but when they are pointing out specific stuff, you can't ignore it and at the very least have an explanation for it.

CYST2000 08-26-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Listen, I'm happy you put the franchise mode first this year, but the bugs are truly unacceptable. I as a consumer really rely on the reviews of certain games, especially in these trying times, but if I have a good feeling that the game hasn't made true strides in becoming an overall better product, then I will take my money elsewhere. I truly appreciate you for coming on here and defending your product, but I will not be buying Madden for the second straight year.

Spanky 08-26-2011 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpdavis82 (Post 2042768163)
This review is a real head scratcher, NCAA 12 gets a 9.0 when it actually improved less than Madden 12, way less compared with NCAA/Madden 11 IMO. Also the fact that this review seems to be the only one scoring the game this low. I think anything lower than 8 for Madden 12 is probably not warranted based on what I know and have read about it from other reviews, mainly what Pastapadre had to say about it and he has had spent more time with the game than just about any of these guys and his impressions are very in depth, it's a great overview of the game IMO and I highly recommend everyone read it.

Out of all the reviewers, I put more stock in PastaPadre's reviews and thoughts than anyone else's -- including the staff of OS, which tends to be biased towards EA.

I trust PastaPadre to be honest and not a company shill who's bought and paid for. He clearly is through and spends a lot of time with games.

7points 08-26-2011 12:33 PM

I take these reviews about as serious as I would anyones from this site, the only review that matters to me is my own.

JohnDoe8865 08-26-2011 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkrich83 (Post 2042768213)
JD, I will say initially, as someone who normally doesn't like Madden, the game has potential to be a very good game. Really liked what little time I had with it. Will play more today obviously. It's still very early, but I am optimistic after a little bit of play time. I'll be posting stuff on Twitter later today as I play.

Good to know Bk. I'm following you on twitter as you know, so I'll be reading your updates/impressions when you get more time to play.

Josh_Looman 08-26-2011 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattbertz (Post 2042768214)
IGN gave it a 25/100. Game Informer gave it a 6.75/10.

My mistake. Just looked back and 1up.com gave it a 25.

IGN gave it a 7 out of 10.

Sublime12089 08-26-2011 12:34 PM

Also, this review and the Gametrailers one (I think) mentioned it not having any new modes. Good. I just want all aspects of offline franchise to be the best they possibly can (including gameplay and presentation). If that is good, then I am good. What is sad is that the rumor is that EA cares a lot about metacritic scores.

merchant1874 08-26-2011 12:34 PM

Why do so many people trust reviews so much? Be it good or bad?

It baffles me. Yes you can read them to get an idea but to base a purchase on someone elses opinion is insane!

Try before you buy if it concerns you. Simple

bkrich83 08-26-2011 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CYST2000 (Post 2042768221)
Listen, I'm happy you put the franchise mode first this year, but the bugs are truly unacceptable. I as a consumer really rely on the reviews of certain games, especially in these trying times, but if I have a good feeling that the game hasn't made true strides in becoming an overall better product, then I will take my money elsewhere. I truly appreciate you for coming on here and defending your product, but I will not be buying Madden for the second straight year.

Based on this review? What you do with your money is your business, so take what I say with a grain of salt obviously, and I have not put much time in the game yet. But I will say as someone who's never really liked Madden, initially at least, the game is worth at the very least a rental.

Of course as I play more I reserve the right to change my opinion. :)

bkrich83 08-26-2011 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnDoe8865 (Post 2042768234)
Good to know Bk. I'm following you on twitter as you know, so I'll be reading your updates/impressions when you get more time to play.

Working from home today. Hoping to log off early.. So this afternoon, I should post more. Our game tastes are pretty close so at the least you can get a general feeling as to how you might like or not like the game.

CYST2000 08-26-2011 12:38 PM

Quote:

So why on the NCAA special was there a big hoopla over the reviews for the game, and what the critics thought about it? I know these are two different teams, but the ideas are generally directed in the same direction.

adfletch71 08-26-2011 12:38 PM

Madden has been given a pass for years on next-gen. I think people are waking up too the fact how much Madden is behind other next- gen sports games. Madden is lacking in so many fundamental areas of football. They can't even get pass interference and a decent challenge system right yet. Still no double- team blocking on pass plays and foot planting is minimal. Immersion is not there, because it's more than INTROS EA!!! What about in-game immersion. When they stop catering too casual gamers and kids, get more sim style and make it 95% close too real life, then we can give madden what it deserves. NBA2k series and The SHOW is the standard, get on board EA, or get left behind.:boxing:

CYST2000 08-26-2011 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkrich83 (Post 2042768241)
Based on this review? What you do with your money is your business, so take what I say with a grain of salt obviously, and I have not put much time in the game yet. But I will say as someone who's never really liked Madden, initially at least, the game is worth at the very least a rental.

Of course as I play more I reserve the right to change my opinion. :)

Well seeing as there are no places within 20 miles from me to rent, and gamefly is always out of the most recent games for atleast the first 3-4 months. I really have to be careful of what I buy.

SincerelYourz 08-26-2011 12:43 PM

Quote:

good s%*T man!!! props

bkrich83 08-26-2011 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CYST2000 (Post 2042768260)
Well seeing as there are no places within 20 miles from me to rent, and gamefly is always out of the most recent games for atleast the first 3-4 months. I really have to be careful of what I buy.

I don't blame you for being cautious. I would be as well, I just have this football game buying addiction. The last decade or so I have bought Madden only to basically get bored of it within a few weeks. I am not sure that will be the case this year.

What you say about Gamefly is absolutely accurate. Main reason why I cancelled my subscription. Getting a new release was next to impossible for me.

Dogslax41 08-26-2011 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TombSong (Post 2042768216)
As with all reviews all that really matters is what was true and what was not true in what he said ?

Ultimately we can scream on peoples opinions of the game one way or the other, but when they are pointing out specific stuff, you can't ignore it and at the very least have an explanation for it.

Or you could be missing the forrest for the trees. Most of the complaints are about all new features that most of us on here begged for and now that they aren't implemented flawlessly to the standards of a reviewer people are flipping out and raising their boycott flags.

I enjoyed Madden last year for a few weeks but ended up putting it down much earlier than I wanted because it wasn't deep enough. Now they have added all kinds of depth to the franchise and this reviewer seems to be panning them for not perfecting the implementation of all these new features while the entire time saying that nothing new was added.

I will be the first to admit that I still favor the other football game from 05, but I don't see any reason to be so closed minded and slam a game for moving backward by adding new features that aren't 100% flawlessly implemented. And if developers are going to listen and start putting in features that we ask for I am more inclined to accept a couple issues with those features while they work to improve them.

jorge380 08-26-2011 12:45 PM

Quote:

Sorry i dont want to sound like a punk,but you guys really dont care about that Metacritic score?

coolcras7 08-26-2011 12:48 PM

The review is pretty fair, you can try to deny the shot comings all you want but they still exist. Madden to me is like describing football to someone who has never seen football before you tell them the basics because trying to explain why this guy or this team is truly better than this guy/team would be too complicated.

mestevo 08-26-2011 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorge380 (Post 2042768278)
Sorry i dont want to sound like a punk,but you guys really dont care about that Metacritic score?

There's certainly some pride involved, but at the end of the day if people are happy and the game is successful, not deliberately adding some marginally useful feature just so a reviewer can't dock points for 'no new modes' doesn't really matter.

SECElit3 08-26-2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giants4Natic (Post 2042768147)

What about 4 Bad Reviews? How about the mention of bugs and glitches? Disappearing players? (They probably just made that up)

How about Pasta's impression of the Play Action, QB Passing performance, and special teams play?

How many years have those been issues?

Pour the Kool Aid down the sink...

TombSong 08-26-2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogslax41 (Post 2042768276)
Or you could be missing the forrest for the trees. Most of the complaints are about all new features that most of us on here begged for and now that they aren't implemented flawlessly to the standards of a reviewer people are flipping out and raising their boycott flags.

I enjoyed Madden last year for a few weeks but ended up putting it down much earlier than I wanted because it wasn't deep enough. Now they have added all kinds of depth to the franchise and this reviewer seems to be panning them for not perfecting the implementation of all these new features while the entire time saying that nothing new was added.

I will be the first to admit that I still favor the other football game from 05, but I don't see any reason to be so closed minded and slam a game for moving backward by adding new features that aren't 100% flawlessly implemented. And if developers are going to listen and start putting in features that we ask for I am more inclined to accept a couple issues with those features while they work to improve them.

Really we all need to stop stressing over whether we agree/disagree on whats being said in the review based on personal opinions but rather is what being said is true or not. That's why reviews should get into the meat of a game and talk more along the lines of the tech and game mechanics.

Does the game do what its suppose to do. Does X,Y,Z feature work as advertised. Whether the game is fun or not will be left up to the consumer and can be debated, but stuff thats broken/fixed, half working/working as advertised, or not done properly/innovated properly should be the focus of a review.

If what he says that people don't like in the review is true, how can they get upset ? If he is telling a lie, then yeah, or stating opinion as facts yeah, but if X is broken and its been demonstrated, how can any one argue that ?

adfletch71 08-26-2011 12:56 PM

No disrespect too JOSH, but the madden team has not been listening too the fans over the years. So many fundamentals elements of football are missing from madden, and the community have been very vocal about it.

Foot planting
Head tracking
Double team blocking on passing plays
Different animations for wr/ cb interactions
Halftime show
Non-slipping and sliding
The list goes on and on, so the proof is in the pudding and we have 2006-2011 for a track record. So tell me if the madden team has been listening to the community?:boxing:

Dogslax41 08-26-2011 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TombSong (Post 2042768297)
Really we all need to stop stressing over whether we agree/disagree on whats being said in the review based on personal opinions but rather is what being said is true or not. That's why reviews should get into the meat of a game and talk more along the lines of the tech and game mechanics.

Does the game do what its suppose to do. Does X,Y,Z feature work as advertised. Whether the game is fun or not will be left up to the consumer and can be debated, but stuff thats broken/fixed, half working/working as advertised, or not done properly/innovated properly should be the focus of a review.

If what he says that people don't like in the review is true, how can they get upset ? If he is telling a lie, then yeah, or stating opinion as facts yeah, but if X is broken and its been demonstrated, how can any one argue that ?

That was more or less my point I think I just worded it incorrectly. My point was more that his thesis of his review seems to be downgrading the game because it went backwards and didn't add anything but the body of his review is mosly focused on picking apart new features for not having certain aspects. Not saying if they are overall broken or not just dont have certain features that he wanted. The tone was what really kind of put me off to his review. And much of what he presented did seem to be throwing his opinion out there as fact.