Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   kick and punt return not feeling rihgt? (/forums/showthread.php?t=505345)

icicle22 08-27-2011 06:53 PM

kick and punt return not feeling rihgt?

Is it just me or is this completely worthless this year? I am playing as the Browns and Cribbs has got mad skills but when he catches the ball, he moves like molasses. I cannot get away from any of the defenders as they all seem to catch up to him immediately, there is no blocking, 2 of my players stand in front of me to block, then when I catch it, they appear to just move out of the way. I cannot get an angle to the sideline as all pursuit catches up or cuts me off.

In addition it seems to zoom in rather far once i catch the ball so my vision of the field is limited. So far my best bet is to run forward and just let them tackle me for a 5-6 yard return. If I try to go left or right or make anyone miss I end up lossing yard.

Last years game was better than this....right? I know there were issues before but it seems to have gotten exponentially worse. Am I the only one seeing this.

I know there is an impressions thread but I was hoping we could have a discussion specifically about the return game and how we can improve it ourselves.

Thanks.

jhoff80 08-27-2011 07:33 PM

Re: kick and punt return not feeling rihgt?

I don't know, I'd say I'm having the opposite issues. I've returned 3 for TDs with Jeremy Kerley and 1 with Kyle Wilson (Jets). I've had 2 run back on me as well, 1 by the Patriots, and I can't remember who the other was.

All on All-Pro, and I've played maybe only 6 or 7 games so far.

PolkHigh33 08-27-2011 07:44 PM

In 4 games of my Franchise I've returned 1 Punt and 1 Kickoff .. but there is sometimes no blocking, for the most part I can get decent gains ..

Just gotta break some tackles once in a while .. my only gripe is everytime I break a tackle is seems to take my player forever to recover from it, allowing people to close in so quickly .. I know sometimes it happens but for the most part players are slow out of broken tackles ..

Has been this way for too many years ..

arsenal123gunners 08-27-2011 08:09 PM

Change the Speed Threshold so there is a larger gap between speed

icicle22 08-28-2011 09:49 AM

I am going to attempt the speed threshold as a test but does this mess up other issues as well? I haven't played as or against the titans but do players like Chris Johnson have these issues? He should be able to pull away from guys at the stock speed. Now, I know that Cribbs isn't as fast as him, but for testing purposes I gave cribbs a 99 speed and he still feels very sluggish on returns. So I have not even come close to returning one and in fairness, the CPU hasn't either. Truth it so far the field seems so congested as you try to return it that it's hard to even see daylight....ever.

In fact, it even seems as though this year there is very little running after the catch. Almost always getting hit right when I catch the ball for minimal YAC. Reminds me of my 2k5 days. I loved that game overall but felt the CPU defense was way to tight on receivers and allowed little YAC. Madden, from that year, was better at this aspect and allowed for more variance after you caught the ball.

Generally speaking, Madden this year seems so much more congested to me at this point. at least on the surface. Will keep trying.