Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Ratings no longer mean as much? (/forums/showthread.php?t=505404)

Lord Favre4 08-27-2011 11:40 PM

Ratings no longer mean as much?

Hey guys,

Let me first start by saying I've been an avid madden gamer since 2000 and stumbled upon the OS forums years ago, but never took the time to post. Although, something has ruffled my feathers enough to get me to finally give my input here.

Before I light a fire, let me say this madden is much improved overall. However, in my labbing of this year's game (season ticket) I've come to the conclusion that the threshold of the rating system is flawed.

Strength: For those who don't know, this is what dictates push in the run game. Modifiers like run block strength dicate how well the strength attribute is utilized, i.e. pushing a d-lineman forward without him "ripping" the blocker with a power move.

Anyone who knows how a 3-4 defense works realizes the nose tackle is the bread and butter of run support. So how then, does casey hampton with 98 strength get blown out of the hole by some center with some low 80s strength (without guard help)?

This happens far too often. The colt's d line and steelers' d line play about the same more or less against the front five of, say, miami. Last year I feared big 3-4 teams, but now? Everyone can pound the rock.

Route running: Terrible. Every receiver (or running back for that matter)runs every route with the same crispness. Check it yourself, a 75 rte runner will run routes like Davone Bess who has 97 route running. FWIW, that crispness isn't where it should be IMO.

Speed: Last year the game seemed too wide open. However, this year I think they over compensated on speed threshold. Listen, I hate raider users as much as the next guy, but the deep ball is GONE thus far. Mike Wallace (98 Speed) gains virtually no seperation from a much slower corner with no safety help.

These are just some pieces of constructive criticism, as I do like the improved aspects of the game. Don't get me wrong, but I personally thought madden 11 played head and shoulders above madden 12 in these aspects. Aspects I consider possibly game-breaking.

Let me know what you think, I appreciate the feedback

sharebear420 08-27-2011 11:46 PM

Re: Ratings no longer mean as much?

I think you need to change sliders. I see lots of separation

warren123 08-28-2011 12:04 AM

I've been able to hit a few deep balls with success. I had Jacoby Ford get behind Tramon Williams, not by a lot but by enough.

I think they made speed less of a killer. You won't have Heyward-bey running drag routes getting open vs any CB which is good.

Lord Favre4 08-28-2011 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharebear420 (Post 2042774952)

I should clarify this is a big gripe with ranked online play, where its hard to get a big community with appropriate tunings.

@Warren123 Yes, the drag route coverage is excellent. I'm just saying there is no need to play off coverage anymore. My bigger concerns are with the other aspects

Black59Razr 08-28-2011 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Favre4 (Post 2042774928)
...Strength: For those who don't know, this is what dictates push in the run game. Modifiers like run block strength dicate how well the strength attribute is utilized, i.e. pushing a d-lineman forward without him "ripping" the blocker with a power move...

These attributes have not worked for years. Many videos out there of 5'9" 150lb centers with 0 strength and 0 blocking abilities whooping stud DTs.

Dogslax41 08-28-2011 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharebear420 (Post 2042774952)

Agreed. Mike Wallace is a nightmare for me to cover with the Bengals (shocker) he is always getting deep on my secondary and it takes one bit of hesitation by my db or for him to turn the wrong way and Wallace is gone.

I can also tell a huge difference using B. Scott as opposed to C. Benson when I get either one out in space. Scott can outrun pursuing LBs and Benson usually gets clipped from behind or hawked in the open.

baller7345 08-28-2011 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black59Razr (Post 2042775119)
These attributes have not worked for years. Many videos out there of 5'9" 150lb centers with 0 strength and 0 blocking abilities whooping stud DTs.

Those videos are done on all madden difficulty which is programmed to make every player the cpu has superior to your players no matter what they start as. This take on difficulty really ticks a lot of people off but as essentially every game does this "cheating" to some extent in difficulty raises due to A.I. simply not being able to make the complex and snap decisions that a human brain can make.

Put it on All Pro and he will get beat badly about 75-80% of the time and even more if you play on pro (which is where the game is most balanced in player skill between cpu players and user controlled players). Any times he isn't beat is due to a small increase in their ability in all pro or simply getting unlucky and losing your "die roll" as any game that uses a number rating system is essentially using a random number generator with the ratings as various bonuses to the final generated number. The highest number wins and in some cases this leads to unrealistic or in some peoples minds impossible results.

Holt81 08-28-2011 01:36 AM

I changed the speed threshold and the sliders and ratings from what I see matter very much. Got the Eagles up against the Packers and I saw Vick throw a long bomb to Desean Jackson as he burned his cb.

Patrick Willis is a tackling machine, seeing him all over the field. Seeing the pass rushing de's like Peppers and so forth get pressure.