Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   draft/scouting question (/forums/showthread.php?t=505502)

madden1976 08-28-2011 03:46 PM

draft/scouting question

Been reading on here and some reviews about how you dont know approximately which rounds the generated rookies are going to be drafted, which is not how it is in real NFL scouting life. So, for people who have played offline franchise so far, how do you to decide who to scout if it's completely random? And, what about gems in the 5th round? Would it be a complete accident to come across one of these guys now? Is there no info given on players you DO NOT scout, like standard knowledge stuff like 40 times or tackling ability?
Thanks.

Inapprope 08-28-2011 03:54 PM

Re: draft/scouting question

I'm working my way through my first offline franchise season now. I'm in week 11 and I've been able to scout 15 different players 3 times so far. They do show a "Projected Round" that they will be drafted in, but no other info besides height and weight before you scout. This first scouting round during the regular season you "Unlock common ratings like stiff arm, spin move and play action" and an unsettled overall rating so far with a question mark beside it.

Since there is no "potential" category that you can see you pretty much just have to prioritize what positions you want to go after and in what round. My two biggest needs are QB and HB so I'm scouting more of those in the first two projected rounds, but still selecting a few in later rounds trying to happen across a sleeper. I still haven't figured out the best strategy for this yet, but this is what I've been doing so far.

madden1976 08-28-2011 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inapprope (Post 2042776810)
I'm working my way through my first offline franchise season now. I'm in week 11 and I've been able to scout 15 different players 3 times so far. They do show a "Projected Round" that they will be drafted in, but no other info besides height and weight before you scout. This first scouting round during the regular season you "Unlock common ratings like stiff arm, spin move and play action" and an unsettled overall rating so far with a question mark beside it.

Since there is no "potential" category that you can see you pretty much just have to prioritize what positions you want to go after and in what round. My two biggest needs are QB and HB so I'm scouting more of those in the first two projected rounds, but still selecting a few in later rounds trying to happen across a sleeper. I still haven't figured out the best strategy for this yet, but this is what I've been doing so far.

Thanks for the info. I know you haven't reached the draft yet, but I wonder if any of the attributes of unscouted players are available on draft day, as in years past like speed and acceleration and strength. I heard they got rid of that pentagon-shaped thing. Also, if you can edit players in this year's game, it would feel very tempting to "fix" the guys you got who didn't end up being as good as you wanted, which would kind of ruin the whole scouting thing anyway.

feeq14 08-28-2011 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madden1976 (Post 2042776881)
Thanks for the info. I know you haven't reached the draft yet, but I wonder if any of the attributes of unscouted players are available on draft day, as in years past like speed and acceleration and strength. I heard they got rid of that pentagon-shaped thing. Also, if you can edit players in this year's game, it would feel very tempting to "fix" the guys you got who didn't end up being as good as you wanted, which would kind of ruin the whole scouting thing anyway.

No pentagon, but now you cant even see general combine measurables that everyone should be able to see like 40 time, bench etc.

Its better but still not good enough in my opinion. There is waaaay to litle info and certainty about players going into the draft, you basically should just draft the 5 players you bring in for a workout cause all the rest seem to be very mucha crap shoot