Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Who would like to see real field goal % implemented? (/forums/showthread.php?t=508103)

JayD 09-06-2011 04:08 PM

Who would like to see real field goal % implemented?

So far each kick meter or joystick function that EA has given us is no challenge at all and being that the special teams sliders are global we can't reduce the slider due to the fact it effects the computer as well. I think Implementing real field goal %, like in NBA 2K, would give us more of a sim experience and make drafting or signing a decent kicker/punter more of an importance. If you are not familiar with this all you do is hit the shot button and it brings a players real life field goal % as a factor into missing or making a shot. Now I don't think they should strictly use real field goal % but give us the option to use it or the meter. So who else would think this would be a great addition to Madden?

arsenal123gunners 09-06-2011 04:10 PM

Re: Who would like to see real field goal % implemented?

I want to be able to control whether my kick goes in, not some algorithm

JayD 09-06-2011 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arsenal123gunners (Post 2042817551)

This is obviously targeted to more of the sim player and being that the meter is almost a guarantee that you are going to make it is pretty much a let down. I also stated that an option to use real fg % or meter should be available.

xxDHAINESxx 09-06-2011 04:15 PM

i like this idea, but i think the difficulty of the kicking meter is where this should be implemented. for instance, a kicker like nate kaeding should have the meter go kind of slow, but not too much, as to a kicker like sebastian janikowski, who can be erratic at times; so make the meter go much faster, which could affect both power and speed. he's probably the best kicker in the game solely because accuracy means nothing if you hit the right spots on the meter; therefore, this is where i believe the change should be made.

you should be rewarded for getting the meter right and landing a perfect kick, but i believe the change should make ratings affect how good a kicker is and how accurate he is, and not just how strong his leg is.

T5063 09-06-2011 04:21 PM

I'd rather have the K's ratings used to determine how difficult the meter is. Ei. power for maximum distance, accuracy for how small the accuracy window is and maybe a composure rating to add shake or something like that as a third variable (during big games, road games, game winning kicks).

Cryolemon 09-06-2011 04:44 PM

I voted yes, as long as it's optional. As has also been said, the actual kicking mechanic could be improved as well.

bc3po 09-06-2011 05:24 PM

I vote yes, for the reason that it doesn't matter who your kicker is, as long as they have good kick power, your good from 60 yards and in. I would like to see an option so i don't know i have three points. I think it would make it more suspenseful

fistofrage 09-06-2011 05:28 PM

Yep, just make it an option like basketball games that have the option of real FT%. They also need to make it harder for those who wish to control the kick. Having a great kicker should be very important, and you should feel the difference between really accurate kickers and run of the mill 2 years in the league and out kickers.

Patriots1996 09-06-2011 05:34 PM

I would like to see something along the lines of a kicker's real life FG% determining their accuracy, and then accuracy rating determine the size of the white target. So, a kicker who is automatic, like Adam Vinatieri will have a big white target, whereas a guy who is less consistant, like Janikowski, will have a smaller target.

woodjer 09-06-2011 05:44 PM

I'd love to have this option. I was just thinking the same thing the other night, actually. This year is a little bit tougher but, in the end, it's still all about learning the timing of the meter. It wouldn't be such an issue if it wasn't always the EXACT same speed regardless of the player or situation. I'd play with real FG% turned on if it was an option, no question. I want some suspense to my FGs!

Another way to address it would be to make the meter travel at different speeds based on a variety of factors--not even just the kicker's ratings. Clutch game-winning field goals on the road with streaky kickers should be tough. First-quarter field goals with a solid and steady guy at home should be a piece of cake.

TMJOHNS18 09-06-2011 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arsenal123gunners (Post 2042817551)

There's plenty of qb's that have arm strength around 87, yet all have different accuracy's, so not all of them can make the same throws. Yet, it only matters how much power a kicker has because the meter isn't that difficult.

Accuracy should play a bigger part in kicking and the amount of power chosen should effect accuracy as well.

misterkrabz 09-06-2011 06:17 PM

When I first read the thread I didn't like the idea, but the more I think about it, the more I think it could work. I also think it would be better than a meter that allows me to knock down 50 yarders with ease, which is what we have now. They could implamment a combination of things, still allow users to use a meter and adjust aim for the wind but also have the miss percentage apply...so let's say a given kicker kicks with 87% accuracy between 30-40 yards..if you hit the kick meter perfectly and are aimed correctly accounting for the wind, then the kick ahs a 87% chance (kicked from that range)...this allows for a combination of skill and chance. I would also have the aim arrow pulsate back and forth (or move) with some sort of randomness to add to the challenge.

bkrich83 09-06-2011 06:32 PM

I've been asking for this for years.

WolverineFan 09-06-2011 06:39 PM

Fantastic idea. I voted yes.

tfctillidie 09-06-2011 07:00 PM

kicking difficulty needs to be seperate from game difficulty.

and there also needs to be about 3 tiers of difficulty beyond what AM gives us.

varying speeds in the meter would be a good challenge.
smaller window for a straight kick too.

dickey1331 09-06-2011 07:19 PM

I voted no. If it was optional then Im all for it.

Wrecktum 09-06-2011 07:23 PM

I like the current kick meter, but maybe they could add some difficulty by randomizing the speed of the meter. Sometimes it would go really fast, sometimes really slow. Higher rated kickers would have more consistent speeds and low rated kickers would have wild fluctuations between fast and slow.

I also like some of the suggestions in this thread about the size of the sweet spot being determined by real fg%

areobee401 09-06-2011 07:30 PM

I voted yes.

Real FT % works for the NBA2k franchise. Kicking field goals and shooting free throws are nearly identical in video games.

ourpurpose 09-06-2011 07:31 PM

Maybe making the kicking meter more difficult would suffice. However, real% doesn't equate realism whatsoever. If you want it that "SIM", then why not have real % for everything such as...

passing
fumbles
timeouts (in relation to when the given coach normally uses his)
run/pass (team and system are the determining factor)
formation
trades

This absurd list could continue, but EA does need to develop a better system to accurately depict the elite kickers/punters from the rest of the pack. I'm all for control/sticks, but their should be variation in ability. EA needs to implement a more difficult meter including both "power" and accuracy. Kickers NEED to have some type of clutch rating as well, to many important games are altered by these guys.

Benzhiyi 09-06-2011 07:35 PM

Love to see a slower/faster meter depending on kicking ability, distance, etc. In fact they could just copy the model used for the meter style of pitching on MLB The Show. Would fit perfectly.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.353142,-2.377368

bichettehappens 09-06-2011 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxDHAINESxx (Post 2042817575)
i like this idea, but i think the difficulty of the kicking meter is where this should be implemented. for instance, a kicker like nate kaeding should have the meter go kind of slow, but not too much, as to a kicker like sebastian janikowski, who can be erratic at times; so make the meter go much faster, which could affect both power and speed. he's probably the best kicker in the game solely because accuracy means nothing if you hit the right spots on the meter; therefore, this is where i believe the change should be made.

you should be rewarded for getting the meter right and landing a perfect kick, but i believe the change should make ratings affect how good a kicker is and how accurate he is, and not just how strong his leg is.

I agree with this solution. Definitely a varying meter speed (and size of the optimum accuracy area) based on ratings and situation would help to make kicking more of a challenge.

arsenal123gunners 09-06-2011 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayD (Post 2042817574)
This is obviously targeted to more of the sim player and being that the meter is almost a guarantee that you are going to make it is pretty much a let down. I also stated that an option to use real fg % or meter should be available.

If you just wanted an option, then why ask the question?

infemous 09-06-2011 09:51 PM

I'd rather that 'good' field goals are called. I've had and seen good FGs be called no good about 10 times already.

This would be a decent solution for online lag issues, but it's not for me. I guess people should have the choice.

DarthRambo 09-06-2011 09:59 PM

YES! I make every single FG even with accuracy at ZERO! What i am doing now is set fg accuracy to 40, which i've found very realistic cuz cpu misses!

What i do is when its 4th down(right after a failed 3rd down conversion), I go to controller select and place my controller in the middle. Then the cpu will attempt the FG for me and I just watch it. I absolutely have been LOVING THIS! I see misses realistically, and I've seen one blocked as well. The trick is however to switch over controller as soon as play is over on failed 3rd down conversion. If you don't, then you can do it for that play. IF I mistakingly forget or hit the X button on accident to get to next play by habit, I will then supersim the play and most times I make the FG, but sometimes I miss just like it should.

I would HIGHLY reccomend doing this for anyone that finds making FGs too easy as it always has in Madden, but wants that sime style of gameplay. It will make you really think about your kickers range when trying to get into FG range for that game winning kick!

Big FN Deal 09-06-2011 10:06 PM

I have always liked this idea as an option but believe they must first make User kicking more difficult for a real fg% option to be viable. What I mean is, if people can easily kick fgs the traditional way, not many will choose the more difficult option.

So I propose they make kicking fgs more like passing by snapping the ball and allowing the defense to come for the block, immediately after the User has set the direction arrow and before the kicking meter starts. This way, Users have to quickly decide, presumably based on their Kicker and the distance of the fg attempt, the best balance between accuracy and power.

I believe the main difficulty of kicking fgs in real life games is the pressure of the defenders bearing down on the Kicker. That's why kickers routinely hit 60+ fgs in warm-up but miss 25 yarders, in game.

This would give Users the option of a challenging User controlled kick or a one click automated kick based on real life fg%, neither of them being a guarantee.

kehlis 09-06-2011 11:29 PM

I would like a hybrid between the two options.

In a perfect world, I would love a percentage deciding it but I don't think I like the idea of EA using an arbitrary percentage for kickers that decide everything. I say that with the full realization that you guys would like to see the players real percentage mapped to the game but I don't see that as being realistic. They can use a 7 year average and it still doesn't make up for rookies, younger kickers, variables in averages being used etc...

I'm sure most of you remember but in the Sega days (maybe ps1, can't remember for sure) the meter speed varied based on the level of your kicker.

As it stands now, I would prefer a random option, but I would much prefer to see a meter that offers variables based on the ratings of your kicker. I don't think it would be hard to implement and I really don't want to give up control where I don't have to.