Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Madden 12 Scouting (/forums/showthread.php?t=508633)

ryan36 12-28-2011 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rudyjuly2 (Post 2043156725)
I tried it in my second year and it helped but it still felt like I was completely in the dark. Right now I'm playing some video game basketball and taking a break from Madden anyways.

This is how I feel. Draft picks are worhless without the exploit. We should NOT unlock combine type stats , these are common knowledge. I wish they'd just move all scouting to the offseasons or let us decide exactly what positions were looking for.

TheDelta 12-28-2011 08:29 PM

Re: Madden 12 Scouting

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryan36 (Post 2043211961)
This is how I feel. Draft picks are worhless without the exploit.

That's simply wrong. Yes, there are some positions that are tough to draft. Getting great Dline, CBs or WRs can be tough, but you can easily pick up great QBs, HBs, FBs, OLs, LBs and safeties with the scouting system as it is.

Getting good players at other positions takes a bit of luck, but still, if you play your cards right and you know what are your positions of need, your picks are far, far from worthless.

I've drafted 8 players in my first draft with my Vikings franchise, all of them were players I targeted, yes, two of them were worse than what I hope for, but two were true studs, the rest are solid rookies. That's a good hit rate if you ask me, and I never had to exploit anything to make those picks.

KBLover 12-29-2011 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryan36 (Post 2043211961)
This is how I feel. Draft picks are worhless without the exploit. We should NOT unlock combine type stats , these are common knowledge. I wish they'd just move all scouting to the offseasons or let us decide exactly what positions were looking for.

I agree that when the Combine comes around, those ratings should be unlocked for all players. How often does a team not even know how fast someone runs, especially at HB or WR?

I also hate how you're completely in the dark on some guys - you know NOTHING about them. Not realistic either, imo.

awkwardmoment 12-29-2011 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KBLover (Post 2043212784)
I agree that when the Combine comes around, those ratings should be unlocked for all players. How often does a team not even know how fast someone runs, especially at HB or WR?

I also hate how you're completely in the dark on some guys - you know NOTHING about them. Not realistic either, imo.

Completely agree. Such a weird, unrealistic way of "revamping" rookie scouting. I wish we could hear the meeting when they discussed this new feature. I cant believe this is how they wanted it to work in the final product.

TheDelta 12-29-2011 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awkwardmoment (Post 2043213189)
Completely agree. Such a weird, unrealistic way of "revamping" rookie scouting. I wish we could hear the meeting when they discussed this new feature. I cant believe this is how they wanted it to work in the final product.

You can't? Because I easily can.

It may not be realistic, but given the huge role speed and acceleration play in Madden, I can understand that giving us 40 times like they did in year before would be a HUGE help for players. I mean, in M11 and before, I could simply ignore every LB with a 40 below 4.45 or something, and a CB with a 40 slower than 4.35 wasn't even worth looking at.

In reality, you don't have to be crazy fast to be good, in Madden you do, so yes, I'd also like for us to at least get 40 times and stuff for players, but I understand why we don't.

KBLover 12-29-2011 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDelta (Post 2043213214)
In reality, you don't have to be crazy fast to be good, in Madden you do, so yes, I'd also like for us to at least get 40 times and stuff for players, but I understand why we don't.

I don't know about crazy fast. 85 SPD would struggle (as would a 85 SPD WR) but I think 90 is sufficient. Given the ratings scale, 90 wouldn't qualify as crazy fast. Maybe to be top tier, you need that 95+ SPD/ACC/AGI, I know my top CB has 97/99/99 there, but I think to be a solid guy that won't embarrass you, I think 88-90 is okay. Just depends more on his other skills.

I have guys like that who are solid. I wouldn't man them on someone like Desean Jackson, but I don't cringe when I put them on the field (unless they suck at AWR and stuff). Sure, a low AWR/PRC/*CV CB with high speed can "outrun his mistakes" probably a bit too much, but he's still making mistakes, and that's not how I'd want to run my pass defense - hoping guys "outrun their mistakes" :)

awkwardmoment 12-29-2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDelta (Post 2043213214)
You can't? Because I easily can.

It may not be realistic, but given the huge role speed and acceleration play in Madden, I can understand that giving us 40 times like they did in year before would be a HUGE help for players. I mean, in M11 and before, I could simply ignore every LB with a 40 below 4.45 or something, and a CB with a 40 slower than 4.35 wasn't even worth looking at.

So it's all or nothing, is it? Either we get all the exact ratings or we get absolutely nothing relevant? Sorry, I'm not willing to accept that.

There is a way to give a purpose to scouting without giving away everything. Some in this thread have talked about rating ranges and other things. Personally, I like the way NBA 2k11 did it with letters range for ratings and written comments from the scout comparing the kid to league players and giving their areas of strengths and weaknesses.

Another thing I would like to see is team comparaison ie "this rookie WR will have a CIT rating higher than [the WR currently #2 on your depth chart]"... Without giving us numbers, it would give an idea where the rookie would fit in the depth chart and then you have to do the work to evaluate how highly you value that spot.

All I know is that right now some positions are worthless to scout and it shouldn't be so.

TheDelta 12-30-2011 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awkwardmoment (Post 2043213802)
So it's all or nothing, is it? Either we get all the exact ratings or we get absolutely nothing relevant? Sorry, I'm not willing to accept that.

Um... where exactly did I say ANYTHING like that?

To be precise, several times, even in this very thread, I have asked for the same thing. But the question was not "Why do we get exact ratings and not comparisons or ranges?", so I didn't answer that question. The question was "Why don't we get 40 times and other measurables?" and I think the answer I've given was probably close to what the designers thought when they made the decision to keep those stats away from us.

In reality, 40 times are interesting, but they only tell you so much about a player, because RL speed and quickness are so much more than just how fast you can run 40 yards in a straight line. In Madden, Speed is a single integer, so obviously, if we got 40 times, they needed to be based on the speed stat, so giving us the 40 time would give us either the exact stat or at least a very close approximation of that players speed stat, which would be a HUGE help for the user in the scouting process, so I guess they decided against giving us that help. Not saying I like it, but that's like it is.

The only other option would be to make 40 times more independent of speed, but that would open a whole other can of worms, because you'd get dozens and dozens of people complaining on these forums then about how they just drafted a guy with a 4.25 that turned out to somehow only have 89 speed or something, so that's not an option, either. It would just lead to people complaining about other stuff.