Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Madden 12 Scouting (/forums/showthread.php?t=508633)

asterisk 09-28-2011 11:52 PM

Re: Madden 12 Scouting

Fantastic job Baj, this is a ton of help!

One suggestion: edit your post to add some color to the attributes unlocked indicating how relevant they are to the position. For example, make the really key attributes red, the not-so-important attributes blue and keep the useless ones black, like this:

3rd Stage (Pro Days):
-QB: CAR, CTH, RTE, RLS, THP, THA, SAC, MAC, RUN, PMV, FMV, BSH, MCV, ZCV, RBS, RBF, PBS, PBF, KPW

It'd make browsing your list easier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostlight85 (Post 2042914795)
The thing I really like about this year's scouting is that you really end up with only 15 or so players that you know a lot about, and only 5 that you know potential for. Makes drafting challenging and fun

I do enjoy having to pick and choose my targets and refining my team's big board, but it really bugs me that we don't have pre-draft measurements.

KBscholar 09-29-2011 02:32 PM

What I would do is in week 1, before you scout anyone, look at each draft prospect. Then sort by potential from what should be best to worst (the triangle indicator next to POT should be pointing up). As of that time, all the potential ratings will have "??", but they are just hidden.

Now, write down the top 10 or so players in the order of potential that you currently see. Those guys will most likely have the best potential, but not necessarily have that same draft projection.

I create my draft board in Excel, so I can focus on players that I need to acquire. This will also allow me to see a player that has a top 5 potential, but that are currently projected to be drafted in the later rounds.

This method should ensure you of a great draft.

NoCode416 09-29-2011 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KBscholar (Post 2042919227)
What I would do is in week 1, before you scout anyone, look at each draft prospect. Then sort by potential from what should be best to worst (the triangle indicator next to POT should be pointing up). As of that time, all the potential ratings will have "??", but they are just hidden.

Now, write down the top 10 or so players in the order of potential that you currently see. Those guys will most likely have the best potential, but not necessarily have that same draft projection.

I create my draft board in Excel, so I can focus on players that I need to acquire. This will also allow me to see a player that has a top 5 potential, but that are currently projected to be drafted in the later rounds.

i've done this as well, and it does appear to be sort of a cheat... it works pretty well... too well, maybe. but i've had a very small sample size.

Baj32279 09-29-2011 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KBscholar (Post 2042919227)

So I tested this trick of yours and it does work. I just want to point out that this thread is a guide to supplement your LEGIT draft. This kind of cheating is not what I made this for. If any of the people reading this particular thread wanted to cheat, then I'm sure they would have read the Complete Draft Guide thread instead. I do not condone cheating.

That being said, great job finding this trick. I never would have thought that Madden would be lazy enough to truly hide players true potential.

NoCode416 09-29-2011 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baj32279 (Post 2042919776)
So I tested this trick of yours and it does work. I just want to point out that this thread is a guide to supplement your LEGIT draft. This kind of cheating is not what I made this for. If any of the people reading this particular thread wanted to cheat, then I'm sure they would have read the Complete Draft Guide thread instead. I do not condone cheating.

That being said, great job finding this trick. I never would have thought that Madden would be lazy enough to truly hide players true potential.

yes, very disappointing that EA wouldn't disguise this.

problem is, i believe it works even beyond the very first week of scouting. even after players have accumulated a XX? potential rating, when sorted, the remaining players will still line up in order.

basically, you can never sort by potential, or else you will see the top potential players (whether you want to or not)

KBscholar 09-29-2011 06:30 PM

Baja, if you like, I can remove my post. During my franchise, I control all 32 teams, which allows me to cut, sign, trade anyone I like. I do all of those things with fairness in the franchise, to make it as real as possible. For instance, if a CPU team has a guy get injured for the rest of the season, I will put that guy on the IR, and sign a free agent that would fit that teams scheme.

So during my draft, I will draft players realistically. This just prevents me from having a crappy draft, like so many others are faced with.

Baj32279 09-29-2011 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KBscholar (Post 2042920145)
Baja, if you like, I can remove my post. During my franchise, I control all 32 teams, which allows me to cut, sign, trade anyone I like. I do all of those things with fairness in the franchise, to make it as real as possible. For instance, if a CPU team has a guy get injured for the rest of the season, I will put that guy on the IR, and sign a free agent that would fit that teams scheme.

So during my draft, I will draft players realistically. This just prevents me from having a crappy draft, like so many others are faced with.

I'm not asking you to do that. I think it's great that you found a strategy that works for you, and I never want to hinder someone's ability to speak freely in this thread. It does make it easier for people to take "the easy way out" and not scout players though. With your strategy you don't even have to scout. You could just wait until the draft and sort by potential. It just takes away the importance of this thread. I don't want you to take it down though because now people have a choice, and who doesn't like choices? :y1:

Also, I understand how it's satisfying to get good players in the draft, but that's not realistic. I mean there's some big duds in real life that went first round. I believe in doing enough research and making the best judgement call in the draft. If he ends up being a C or worse then that's life, but it does happen in the real NFL.

houseofbacon 09-30-2011 07:01 AM

I used the "Draft Guides" with Madden 11, the Excel spreadsheets showing projected rounds, Potential, and OVR. It quickly got to be a bit too much, and by my 8th or 9th season, my entire team was A potential. I had 5 CB's over 93OVR, my entire D-Line was 95+. It was fun smoking people, but I didn't feel I had earned it, so this year I'm definitely going with knowing HOW to draft, not WHO to draft.

Good to hear 1 A and 1 B counts as a good draft, I had much higher expectations for myself going in, likely due to last year's self-cheapness. I expected to walk out of there with 5-8 new starters.

Regardless, I won't be sorting by potential.