Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Pro Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Total QBR: Brees vs. Rodgers (/forums/showthread.php?t=509003)

SportsTop 09-09-2011 03:22 PM

Total QBR: Brees vs. Rodgers

This is our first look at tQBR for the 2011 season and the results are in from last night's match-up between Brees and Rodgers:

Rodgers: 91.1
Brees: 71.6

Here's a link to the full article on ESPN

My early thoughts.....tQBR is just as flawed as any other QB measuring system if it is going to punish Brees for a 4th & 1 incompletion that was his head coaches fault in play selection as well as having to face five and six defensive backs nearly all of the second half.

There are certain things you can't punish a QB for and tQBR looks to be incorporating that into its formula.

I'm also curious if Rodgers was punished for his team's last two drives in which he took an 8 yard sack and short yardage completion and checking down to Kuhn on their last drive for a completion that netted them zero yards in "crunch time".

There is no doubt Rodgers had a better night, but not to the tune of an "A" grade to a "C" grade.

Palo20 09-09-2011 05:20 PM

I will take Pro Football Focus and their numbers.

Rancid Radio 09-09-2011 05:24 PM

Re: Total QBR: Brees vs. Rodgers

I had decent hopes for this tQBR but this effectively kills them. Honestly, any grading system that gives Brees a C for his performance last night is flawed beyond belief although I do believe Rodgers had the better performance.

kingkilla56 09-09-2011 05:25 PM

Anything ESPN tries to give to sports other than coverage is irrelevant. I cant believe they honestly thought people would give a damn about some system they made up to evaluate players.

Yeah...THAT Guy 09-09-2011 06:15 PM

I think there's some confusion. I believe above a 70 = MVP caliber game, not a "C" performance. A "C" performance would be a 50.

Chrisksaint 09-09-2011 06:17 PM

Lol anyone who watched that game last night knew Brees was playing almost just as well Rodgers atleast the way I saw it apparently ESPN disagrees

Yeah...THAT Guy 09-09-2011 06:24 PM

I'm more interested to see how the QBRs look after like half the season because then there will be time for the numbers to be dragged down. I mean, the highest QBR they've had in the past 5 years was an 82.3. If Brees ended the season with the QBR he had after one game, he'd have the 8th best season of any QB in the past 5 years, so again, the numbers say Brees had an outstanding game, just that Rodgers was money in the red zone and in the 1st quarter in building an early lead.

Note: I guess this kinda shuts up all the people that said QBR was flawed because you could suck for 3 quarters of a game and then dominate the 4th quarter and end up with a higher QBR than someone that dominated in the beginning and then played decent the rest of the way.

iAM-IncReDiBLe- 09-09-2011 06:30 PM

I felt like Rodgers out played Brees. So it looks good to me.

Sent from Luke Skywalkers Evo