Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Packers Passing 101 (/forums/showthread.php?t=509128)

baller7345 09-09-2011 10:35 PM

Packers Passing 101

Ok sit down and prepare to take a crash course in the Packers playbook. This is just the passing section and I warn you now it is a long one as I use every last bit of the playbook. I may do the rushing section later but as every playbook as essentially the same running plays (power o, stretch, zone, iso, etc) I may not even bother with it.

If one of the concepts come up in multiple formations then I more than likely won't list it again as the work essentially the same.

Single Back Ace Pair

Slants-great for beating man can hit the slant hook against zone checkdown is the back and the slant hook

Flanker Dig- Beats cover 2 with the dig route if thrown right when the cut is made also can beat man thanks to Jennings route running. Checkdowns are the back and TE with Driver running the deep corner as a last resort.

TE Attack- drives cover 2 crazy as well as man coverage. Against zone attack the player the zone doesn't go after as one of the TE's will be open. Against man it is usually the inside TE.

Close PA Sail-Prepare to to get massive gains against cover 2 and can be thrown at cover 3 but is harder to complete.

PA TE Flood- This is a strong flood out of a PA so just use what I said in the previous posts.

Drive- Beats man and can separate the zones to hit the deep out. Most of the time the drag is your completion.

Curl Combo- Cover 3 beater look for the curls out wide as the flat routes take that guy down. Last resort is the slant curl.

Single Back Ace

Double Sluggo- pump right as the make the cut and if against man you can get some huge gains with thefake.

PA Deep In-Look for the deep in as soon as the PA is over against cover 2, the comeback against cover 3, and the TE against man.

Z-spot- Slant curl all the occasionally the deep corner will be open against cover 2 and man. Same for every Z-spot in the book

Flanker Drive- Same as Drive

Wing PA F Slide- Cover 3 will be open for the TE. Crossing route may be for man and can always go deep.

PA Rollout- Look for TE on flat first then TE on cross then reciever on corner. If you see cover 2 hit the corner if you have time.

Corner strike- Cover 2 beater for every single version of this. Can be used on cover 3 but tighter window.

Curl Flats- Cover 3 dies against every variation of this play.

Single Back Flex

Packer ins- This play has a lot of mini concepts going on. The curl flats on the right beats cover 3 while the short in will take the zone of cover 2 leaving the deep in open if you throw right at break. The short in will be open underneath if you don't get that look and the TE in the seam can be hit as a last resort.

PA HB Curl- Cover 3 go to the deep post if you want to gamble the comeback otherwise. The dump off to the back is a good bet here too.

PA power O- When you want to go deep don't forget the dump off routes if the deep ball is covered.

TE post- Great for getting Finley involved and the drag gives a good dump off as does the back to the flats. Occasionally get the deep corner but not as consistent as other corner routes.

Single Back Ace Twins

Stick- Learn to love all the iterations of this concept especially out of 5 wide.

Smash- Same as stick except the one out of Packers Trips is the killer one just because Jennings is running to the seam.

Single Back Bunch

Spacing- Out of this formations and the shotgun bunch this play is hard to cover. Nelson is normally your target on the slant hook but if that is covered then Jennings on the stick route and if that is covered then driver on the Slant...Finely is a last resort.

The End around package- 3 plays 2 run 1 PA. Hit the Back on the PA and use these plays to play with your opponents mind.

PA Pin Deep- Against Cover 3 hit the weird skinny post as he makes his cut against man hit same but the in may be open instead.

Single Back Tight Flex

Said no run but using the FB flanker package you can motion Kuhn down and form the I to give it great flexibility.

Bench- Cover 3 and Man get beat by this as is tight for cover 3. Cover 4 the out routes are open. Cover 2 hot route the two out routes into streaks and hit the corners.

PA Waggle- Look for the crosing route then the flat. Scrambling is possible on this play haven't had much success with the deep corner.

I form Pro

PA Boot-- The comeback will be open against cover 2 and 3 and the TE's are your read against anything else.

Packers Post- Can rifle the post route against cover 3 though it is really tight. Best case is you'll run this against cover 0.

PA Scissor- Good bye cover 2. Can hit Wide out against man.

Wing PA Power O- Same as all other PA Power O just a different look

Curls- Same as Curl Flats

Texas- This is another great way to get Finely involved but if he is covered hit Kuhn on the angle route. The out route can be open against cover 3 and man.

I Form Slot Flex

Most of the concepts are already listed so anything you have a question back find in the previous. The HB draw play is great as you get a lead blocker.

Mesh- Hit a drag that's about it.

PA Comebacks- As with all comebacks hit them against cover 3. Nelson can get good gains against man in the slot.

I Form Tight

Goal Line Fade- Great play in the redzone especially with Finely out wide.

Formation is mostly used for running but some of the PA's can be good. Formations concepts are already on here just apply them with a more compressed look.

I form Tight Pair

PA Out and Up- Same as the sluggos. If the Pump works against man you get a big gain, if not dump it off.

Weak Pro

Many similar concepts.

PA Packer Y Go- This will get Finely open deep if not hit the comebacks against cover 3 and the back if nothing else is available.

PA F Slide- Hit the TE against cover 2 and cover 3

FB Screen WK- Nice to get Kuhn involved in the passing game.

Strong Close

Use the same endaround techniques that you use out of single back bunch.

WR Out- Hit Jennings against man and Finely against anything else. If Finely is covered hit Kuhn Make quick reads.

Y Trail- The Middle can be attacked with either Driver or Finely but if it looks like Jennings is getting a clean release and their isn't safety help over the top his route is really good to just snap 3 steps and lob.

Full House Wide

Always run Dual FB package if you plan to run the ball.

PA Waggle- Only different concept in the book normally will be hitting the FB in the flats but occasionally the crossing route or deep corner will be open. Great for getting away from blitzes as there is a lot of blocking.

Angle Swing- Hit the sluggo if you get a bit on man. Deep Corner against cover 2. Dump off against everything else.

Guns Double On

Flanker Dig- Use like every other flanker dig (hit against cover 2 right as break give time to separate against man). This is my favorite Flanker Dig concept.

HB Circle- Safe play and Grant will usually be open.

Inside cross- Works a lot like mesh. You know what to do with the Comeback.

Packer Fade- Maybe the best play to run in the red zone. Do what you did with Goal-line fade and put Jennings in the slot if you want. Hot Route Driver to a fade as well if you want to have two options to go to up top.

FL Screen- Use every WR Screen the same. Off coverage is your best bet. Cover 4 and off man will get you good yards. Snap and thow.

Guns Y, Trips WK

Packer Smash- Not the best Packers Smash in the book but still should beat cover 2. Has more check downs than other smash concepts.

Strong Flood- Destroys all cover 3 learn to love it

PA Y Out- Nothing to the flat but can still beat cover 3.

Stick Nod- Can beat man and certain zones. If they take the underneath route with a zone then look for the stick nod route otherwise look for the in.

Packers Slot Seam- Great play and can gouge cover and cover 3 as well as man. The seam can be forced against cover 2 and cover 3 if you are good with pass leading. The deep in breaks away sort of like a post so you can loft it over LB's in zone.

Spacing- Different take on spacing as there is no slant. Same concept find the opening in the zone and hit the short throw.

Other concepts are essentially things that we have already covered.

Gun Double Flex

Slot Outs-Will beat Man more often than not and can attempt to go over the top against cover 2. The angle route run by the back is a good dump off.

Deep Curl- Throw the curl against cover 3 the seam against anything else. The curl may open up against some cover 2's.

Smash Check- Different look on the smash concept. Should beat cover 2 although since no route takes the deep zone away from the sideline it will be tighter.

Inside Cross- Haven't found a way to get the deep post open often enough to mention but the other routes drag, in , and RB out are all viable.

Gun Normal Y Flex Tight

Packers Y Curl- The curl can open up against cover 3 and some cover 2's (depends on how wide the hook zones go)

Packers Y Sail- Will beat cover 2 (not cover 2 sink) and Cover 3 while getting you good yardage. Need protection as the route takes time to develop.

Rest of the plays use a jumble mix of various concepts that I've already mentioned use them as you would out of any formation.

Gun Pack Trips

We pretty much covered the concepts in this but I'm listing plays as this is my favorite formation.

Packers Smash- Run like all smash plays but since Jennings is in the slot going to the seam enjoy having LB's on him when in man.

Packers Slants- Great play to pick up 5-10 yards. If in zone and take Jennings from the beginning hit driver most of the time you can hit Jennings though.

Slot out- Good against man and against any thing played deep off the receivers. Great for getting your 2 minute offense in gear if your opponent backs off.

Double Ins- Same concept as Packers Slants.

Everything is different version of stuff I've already covered.

Guns Flex Trey

Here we go time to go to the Big 5.

Strong Flood-- Stretches the field great and beats cover 3 as well as any Strong Flood.

Hitch Corners- Cover 2 and Man beater and one of the best deep threats in the playbook. Look for the corners against cover 2 and hit Cobb on the Post against man and can force cover against cover 3. The hitches are your dump offs.

Packer Drive- Like any drive play the drag is your best bet the In can be good. Like this play for 3-5 yards.

WR Comebacks- Use like all the comeback routes against cover 3 Probably can hit the curls on the inside against cover 4.

Curl Flats- Best Curl Flats in the book beats cover 3 like the rest but get more separation on the slant curl due to so many receivers stretching the zones.

Gun Double Flex Wing

Drive- Motion out the either the TE or the HB (which ever one isn't in the blue release route) and either hit him or the drag across the middle.

Packer Dig- Run it just like a flanker dig.

Slot Cross- Motion out either the TE or the HB (same as for Drive) Hit the cross or the motioned player.

Guns Bunch WK

Spacing- use the same as you do out of the single back. All the plays are essentially the same as the single back formation.

MileHighSalute30 09-09-2011 10:38 PM

Re: Packers Passing 101

So is this the best p book in the game?

baller7345 09-09-2011 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MileHighSalute30 (Post 2042834449)

It is for me but give me 3 years to learn the ins and outs of any of the playbooks and I could probably write just as much on them. I had a guy ask about the Packers playbook on another site and I ended up with this breakdown so I thought I'd post it here as well.

bichettehappens 09-09-2011 10:57 PM

Thanks for the info. This thread makes me want to truly delve into the ins and outs of other playbooks

On a Packers note though, I remember there was a PA play I used in the demo, where Finley blocked, then snuck out to the right... easy money for a TD within 10. can't remember the name though.

baller7345 09-09-2011 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bichettehappens (Post 2042834550)
Thanks for the info. This thread makes me want to truly delve into the ins and outs of other playbooks

On a Packers note though, I remember there was a PA play I used in the demo, where Finley blocked, then snuck out to the right... easy money for a TD within 10. can't remember the name though.

There is quite a few of them actually. The PA roll-outs out of several formations have him do this as well as some other PA plays that I can't remember now that I've closed out of practice mode.

EccentricMeat 09-09-2011 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MileHighSalute30 (Post 2042834449)

Best passing playbook is EASILY the Colts.

Best running playbook is hard to say.

Best overall playbook may be the Pack, Texans, Colts (for a pass-heavy team), or Pats.

PGaither84 09-09-2011 11:50 PM

Depends on what you want to do. I love the Patriots Playbooks from Madden 11. There are tons of fun short routes that take advantage of having a #2 WR [Welker] with 95+ Agility and acceleration. Lots of double moves, change of direction, screens, interesting route combinations, and so forth. I love to stretch the defense horizontally. It allows you to get skill players into one-on-one match ups in open space.

It also opens up the running game through the draw. It's difficult to run the ball with a Danny Woodhead/Reggie bush type player when the defense stacks 8 in the box, but when the defense has to respect your passing game, you can chew them up with quick agile runners.

On the other hand, if you prefer to line up with big offensive linemen and pound the ball, you aren't going to want to use the NE playbook. So, again, it all depends on what you want to do. The same thing is true defensively. I prefer the NYJ defenseive playbook in Madden 11 becasue I love almost every formation and play in that book. Far more than the NE or other 3-4 books.

MileHighSalute30 09-10-2011 12:18 AM

I want a good balanced playbook, without without wildcat formation, and traditional running formations.