Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Someone explain this potential thing to me (/forums/showthread.php?t=511561)

Patscanes 09-19-2011 01:26 PM

Someone explain this potential thing to me

I'm a little perplexed. In my Franchise I had a story book season. I threw for 45 TDs with Brady and went 14-2.

I rushed for 1400 Yards and 15 TDs with Benny ( The Law Firm ). I do all the off season stuff and sim to the regular season. He's listed as an 83 overall with B potential. How can that happen?

A guy rushes for that many yards and TDs and only goes up a point? I can tell you if that was to happen in real life, the next madden that player would be at least rated a 90 probably higher.

So is progression only affect some players? is it still broken? is there a work around for this?

I know I can edit ratings this year but doesn't that change players roles?

TeamBuilder 09-19-2011 01:55 PM

Re: Someone explain this potential thing to me

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patscanes (Post 2042876487)
I'm a little perplexed. In my Franchise I had a story book season. I threw for 45 TDs with Brady and went 14-2.

I rushed for 1400 Yards and 15 TDs with Benny ( The Law Firm ). I do all the off season stuff and sim to the regular season. He's listed as an 83 overall with B potential. How can that happen?

A guy rushes for that many yards and TDs and only goes up a point? I can tell you if that was to happen in real life, the next madden that player would be at least rated a 90 probably higher.

So is progression only affect some players? is it still broken? is there a work around for this?

I know I can edit ratings this year but doesn't that change players roles?

Classic problem/debate with progression/re-evaluation.

Every year that Madden is released Donny Moore gets to re-evaluate players. But in your Franchise Mode if your player has a killer season (like BenJarvus), he is not re-evaluated.

Instead, he is locked down by the constraints of predetermined player potential. It's ridiculous, and EA has not gotten player re-evaluation/progression right since old gen Madden 06 (the one with McNabb on the cover).

TeamBuilder 09-19-2011 01:58 PM

Basically, your player can only become as good as Donny Moore says he will be.

EDIT: This is a link from 2 years ago about player potential...
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ey-debate.html

Patscanes 09-19-2011 04:32 PM

I appreciate the response. That is incredibly bad how that's set up. How hard would it be to incorporate a system that the CPU uses to re-evaluate each player in franchise?

So if I was to draft a Wr in the 7th round and he has 85 Rec. 1000 Yards, and 7 TDs his rookie year, he won't progress from the let's say 72 overall all because he has a D or C potential? Man that's whack!

Does anyone know if you edit ratings in franchise if just one player loses their player roles or does every player lose them?

Example would be I edit Benny to go up to a 92 overall. He doesn't have any Roles but does Tom Brady all the sudden lose Playoff Performer?

TeamBuilder 09-19-2011 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patscanes (Post 2042877360)
I appreciate the response. That is incredibly bad how that's set up. How hard would it be to incorporate a system that the CPU uses to re-evaluate each player in franchise?

So if I was to draft a Wr in the 7th round and he has 85 Rec. 1000 Yards, and 7 TDs his rookie year, he won't progress from the let's say 72 overall all because he has a D or C potential? Man that's whack!

Does anyone know if you edit ratings in franchise if just one player loses their player roles or does every player lose them?

Example would be I edit Benny to go up to a 92 overall. He doesn't have any Roles but does Tom Brady all the sudden lose Playoff Performer?

In my experience it is just the player you edit that loses his role. After the season is over and player roles are redone, the player you edited has a chance to again gain a role.

bucky60 09-19-2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

In real life, every player has a max or a potential. No one has unlimited potential. How can it happen? It happens in real life all the time.

Quote:

In real life, potential is not a number formulated based on stats. The guy is right in that Donny has the opportunity to re-evaluate each and every year, but a game does not have that opportunity to watch the real live player and change ratings based on how that player performs in real life. You have to update rosters to get that.

Quote:

Progression is NOT broken. It just needs to be greatly enhanced. Progression should be simulated more closely by how it actually happens in real life. The players work ethic, smarts, caches ability to teach, mentors at his position, etc. It should NOT be based on stats. Stats based progression is just BAD. It leads to a very imbalanced franchise and is highly unrealistic. A player should get better stats because they progress, they shouldn't progress because they get better stats.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeamBuilder (Post 2042876607)
Instead, he is locked down by the constraints of predetermined player potential. It's ridiculous, and EA has not gotten player re-evaluation/progression right since old gen Madden 06 (the one with McNabb on the cover).

It's not ridiculous. No one has unlimited potential. Having that in the game would make it HIGHLY unrealistic. Every body has a potential max. It's part of real life. That players in the game have a ceiling for there potential is HIGHLY realistic.

Quote:

I appreciate the response. That is incredibly bad how that's set up.

No it's NOT incredibly bad how it's set up. It's going down the correct path, but far from complete. Every one having unlimited potential would be an incredibly bad way to set it up.

Quote:

What's whack is getting 85 receptions and 1000 yards out of a crappy receiver. The limit on potential and not basing potential or progression on stats is fine, and the way it should be.

Patscanes 09-19-2011 05:56 PM

Alright you make fair enough points. I see them. But in my situation how does Benny only go up 1 point?

Maybe it's not broken but is surely needs to be tweaked. I'm not asking the game to make Benny a 99 but only a 1 point overall increase seems unfair.

bucky60 09-19-2011 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patscanes (Post 2042877724)
Alright you make fair enough points. I see them. But in my situation how does Benny only go up 1 point?

Maybe it's not broken but is surely needs to be tweaked. I'm not asking the game to make Benny a 99 but only a 1 point overall increase seems unfair.

If you can get 1400 yards and 15 TD's out of the guy when he's rated at 82 using your current settings and current team, then why would he need to have his ratings increased? Guy's doing great for you with his current rating.

And how does Benny only go up one point? What's his potential ceiling? Is his great productive season helped by the system he's in? This is where the game needs lots of enhancements. Much more of Head Coach should be in Madden, and they should take things even farther than they did in Head Coach (if we really want more realism).