Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Missing Features When Playing From a Flash Drive (/forums/showthread.php?t=520574)

Art01 10-27-2011 08:01 AM

Missing Features When Playing From a Flash Drive

I play NCAA on my 4GB 360 with the game installed to an 8GB Flash Drive. Features I cannot use include the following:

1. Cannot save videos to highlights.
2. Have never heard any sideline commentaries, such as injury reports, etc. - no Erin Anderson.
3. No post game commentaries (if there are any).

What other game features, if any, am I missing by not having the game installed to a 360 HD? I am trying to decide whether or not those missing features are worth trhe price of adding the HD, since the only 360 game I play is NCAA - or occasionally Madden 2010.

mtoo22 10-27-2011 08:43 AM

I see the same thing happening to me.....not just you

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

blkrptnt819 10-27-2011 09:01 AM

Happened to me too. I didn't have my recruiting advisor. And before ppl jump down your throat it's Erin Andrews.

speedy43 10-27-2011 10:19 AM

Re: Missing Features When Playing From a Flash Drive

It's because you are playing on the 4gb console. That particular model doesn't have the memory to save highlights and snapshots so they disabled those features when played on the 4gb Xbox 360.

Art01 10-28-2011 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedy43 (Post 2043030159)
It's because you are playing on the 4gb console. That particular model doesn't have the memory to save highlights and snapshots so they disabled those features when played on the 4gb Xbox 360.

By "they", do you mean EA Sports? I wonder how the game knows what type of system I have and why it disabled the features when I installed the game to the Flash Drive plugged into my 360, which has over a Gig left after game installation.

Slim4824 10-28-2011 05:57 PM

It takes a lot of memory to save HD video. The game knows because it looks at how much space is left on the hard drive. Then it determined there is only enough space to save essential information.

Art01 10-29-2011 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slim4824 (Post 2043034856)
It takes a lot of memory to save HD video. The game knows because it looks at how much space is left on the hard drive. Then it determined there is only enough space to save essential information.

Too bad the game is unable to look at whatever memory is available, including use of a Flash Drive. In a sense, EA is defeating itself by limiting the memory search to the HD - the fewer features I use, the more likely I am to become disenchanted with the game.

I don't miss Erin Andrews at all. The other commentary is banal enough for me.

CM Hooe 10-29-2011 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art01 (Post 2043034127)
By "they", do you mean EA Sports? I wonder how the game knows what type of system I have and why it disabled the features when I installed the game to the Flash Drive plugged into my 360, which has over a Gig left after game installation.

If it's anything like the Apple iOS SDK (used for software development on iPhones and iPads), the XBOX SDK undoubtedly has built-in software functions EA can use to identify the model type of the console the game is being played on. Using this, they can enable / disable certain features.

Reading from and writing to to a USB flash drive, in comparison with a dedicated hard disk, is also painfully slow. That could be another factor in locking highlights to that end.

Related, there's really no reason to not have a hard disk for one's video game console anymore, if one can afford it. Particularly with the XBOX 360, where installing games to the HDD can reduce one's chances of seeing the RROD by reducing wear on the moving parts of the DVD drive.