Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   5-2 (/forums/showthread.php?t=523069)

QBKILLAR 11-10-2011 08:36 PM

5-2

Anyone else out there running the 5-2? I've schemed up some blitzes and have this d works great for me. I been thinking and since this d drops the de's into coverage that maybe I should sub in a couple of lb's with good coverage skills and decent block shredding for some speed on the outside. Anyone see any drawbacks to this or have any tips on this scheme?

vaeath 11-10-2011 08:47 PM

Re: 5-2

I dont like using the 5-2 because some of the plays have the DE's as Man coverage. Unless i could recruit some strong LB's and sub them at the DE spot,i probably wont use this.

QBKILLAR 11-10-2011 08:57 PM

Yeah I hardly ever run man d in 5-2 because of that exact reason. But seems really good at stopping the run and pass in short to medium yardage situations. But I'm thinking of subbing in some coverage LB's to cover the flats in the zones.

fcboiler87 11-10-2011 08:58 PM

I think it's hard to justify the use of the 5-2 in college as a primary defense because of the amount of spread offenses you have to defend. If you want the same look, just run a 3-4 defense, because if you drop both ends, that's essentially what you get. If you're base 3-4, then your OLBs are already at least decent cover guys.

If you're talking situationally, it's a good defense. Maybe 3rd and a few. It gives you a middle ground between a 3-4 and a straight goal line defense.

That's just me personally. If you like it, roll with it.

BlastX21 11-11-2011 03:30 AM

I tried it a few times, but I just got absolutely killed by the outside run, so I couldn't afford to use it anymore.

ZSnatchIt 11-11-2011 04:06 AM

It's a good defense if you got speed at DE, I use it to stop screens and plays out in the flat

MIFB13 11-11-2011 11:37 AM

What I've done is subbed in DEs at the two outside DT spots, and subbed in OLBs at the DE spots, so that you're basically playing a 3-4 with five players with their hands on the ground.

QBKILLAR 11-11-2011 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIFB13 (Post 2043077203)
What I've done is subbed in DEs at the two outside DT spots, and subbed in OLBs at the DE spots, so that you're basically playing a 3-4 with five players with their hands on the ground.

Thats a really good thought. Only problem is I have recruited stud DT's in my dynasty and they clog up the middle great so I dont want to lose that but my DE's are pretty good too so it might just work. I recruit heavy on the D line so it is always stacked and have pretty good sucess stopping the run this way so I think by adding the DE's at the DT spots I wont lose much. Thanks.