Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB Official Team Threads (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   Toronto Blue Jays 2012 (/forums/showthread.php?t=529213)

JustOpinions 12-23-2011 02:35 PM

Toronto Blue Jays 2012

Here we are back in Blue. This section is for all things Toronto Blue Jays!

JustOpinions 12-23-2011 02:49 PM

Re: Toronto Blue Jays 2012

Just wondering how Deflated OS Jays fans out there are?
I know I personally want the source in the NY times that claimed Darvish was ours to be run from any baseball related jobs for the rest of his life!
(he does work with Jays AA team in New hampshire)

We all want Prince Fielder, so lets talk hypatheticals...
We know Jays want players in contracts at most with 5 years, but guys like Fielder dont come by that often if ever. A 27 year old who has at LEAST 5 SOLID years, this guys only missed 13 games in 6 seasons, say what you will about his body type but man would he make a world of difference.
Scott Boras (his agent) wants Fielder to be the number one paid player that means beating out Pujols' $25.4 Mil a year so my proposal is this:
5 years - $130 Mil Why?
It may seem steep considering well all be reminded of Vernon Wells' 7 yr $126 BUT Fielder is obviously a much better player with more flare and personality. He wants to be the highest paid player and unrealistically wants a 10 year deal that hes slowly learning wont happen, so BLOW THE DOORS OFF! He would get $26 Mil a year, and finally all us fans can just breathe again. AT LEAST make the offer, if the Cubs were to top that than fine, at least we tried.
AA and Paul Beeston always preach about when the times right, well it is right now, guys like Prince dont come along everyday, and with Josh Hamilton next offseason (who went on record saying he doesnt like Toronto) most likely staying with the wealthy Rangers, this is it because theres no more key free agents left for the next few years in terms of adding a big bat.

As for pitching hands down they should make a deal for Garza IMO

jaiman 12-23-2011 03:59 PM

All media could go f*** themselves at this point... using the Jays as leverage because they believe we have room to spend, agents just taking advantage and getting our hopes up. It is quite ridiculous.

As for Fielder, I completely agree. Spend whatever you have to, make sure it's a shorter deal but get it done. My main concern is that Boras is, like other using the Jays as leverage to gain interest and spike the price. Does the Prince really want to come and play in Toronto? If he does, the time is definitely not spend. Tons of potential. This could put us on the map...

SPTO 12-23-2011 04:17 PM

Regarding the media I think some of it is Anthopoulos' fault. Yeah, I know he likes to keep things close to the vest but the absolute silence when it comes to rumors or actual published reports is a bit ridiculous at times. I mean he even intimated that the Jays may not have even made a bid for Darvish! I know his silence is a brush back against JP Ricciardi's infamous running of the mouth but i've never seen an organization THIS tight lipped.

I agree with the rule in general but there's an exception to ever rule IMO. The Darvish situation was one such exception.

As for Fielder, I think the Jays would be wise to look at him for a 5 year deal and see what it does for 'em it'd be a real boost for the team in terms of being on a higher profile while at the same time providing the kind of protection Jose Bautista needs. We saw last year at times where the lack of protection really hurt the team. At least, even if they don't get Fielder it looks like Lawrie could end up being that kind of bat behind J-Bau.

As Mike Wilner said in a blog piece a while ago the Jays have a glut of outfielders on the roster right now so we should expect a deal for some pitching at some point so we may have that to look forward to.

I can understand the team being built up with homegrown talent but I don't know if the fanbase has the patience to go through that and not be a player for some good talent in free agency or available for trade. There's a frustration that this team is being run like a small market club when this team can arguably be a top 5 spending club.

I guess we'll see how things go but I expect plenty of empty seats after the home opener.

sweny5632 12-23-2011 07:28 PM

I'm not even a Jays fan but I'm really excited as a baseball fan to see what Lawrie is going to do this year. Kid looks like a stud and I think he is gonna have a big year. Also it would be nice to see Rasmus break out finally, think the guy still has alot of upside and I have always liked his talent.

JustOpinions 12-24-2011 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPTO (Post 2043198544)
Regarding the media I think some of it is Anthopoulos' fault. Yeah, I know he likes to keep things close to the vest but the absolute silence when it comes to rumors or actual published reports is a bit ridiculous at times. I mean he even intimated that the Jays may not have even made a bid for Darvish! I know his silence is a brush back against JP Ricciardi's infamous running of the mouth but i've never seen an organization THIS tight lipped.

I agree with the rule in general but there's an exception to ever rule IMO. The Darvish situation was one such exception.

As for Fielder, I think the Jays would be wise to look at him for a 5 year deal and see what it does for 'em it'd be a real boost for the team in terms of being on a higher profile while at the same time providing the kind of protection Jose Bautista needs. We saw last year at times where the lack of protection really hurt the team. At least, even if they don't get Fielder it looks like Lawrie could end up being that kind of bat behind J-Bau.

As Mike Wilner said in a blog piece a while ago the Jays have a glut of outfielders on the roster right now so we should expect a deal for some pitching at some point so we may have that to look forward to.

I can understand the team being built up with homegrown talent but I don't know if the fanbase has the patience to go through that and not be a player for some good talent in free agency or available for trade. There's a frustration that this team is being run like a small market club when this team can arguably be a top 5 spending club.

I guess we'll see how things go but I expect plenty of empty seats after the home opener.

Well said, im with you AA, I like that hes our guy but he for the first time is really irritating me (and lots of others) Silence is one thing but to not say we tried on Darvish? give me a break. He's trying to keep the Jays out of the media as much as possible but clearly its too late as mentioned in this thread, the league uses us to spike interest and money from other teams.

Building the team up through scouting and what not WAS working but heres the catch, the CBA (collective bargaining agreement) that is being put in place next offseason wont allow AA to work his magic in getting all these high draft picks anymore, at least not to the volume hes done the past 2 seasons. Which sux, The fans are frustrated but its not just the average joe fans anymore it seems more like everyone is. Even with a strong farm system right now, prospects are just that, prospects and there is always one bad one in every 3rd or so, and a stud might be one in every 4 or 5. While its very wise to build up the system and kudos to AA for doing so, that alone wont get this team to the World Series IMO

heres a fun game predict Lawrie's 2012 season

Avg. 288 HR. 22 RBI. 90 SB. 20

Just some numbers off the top of my head

SPTO 12-25-2011 12:02 PM

Brett Lawrie prediction:

.286 24 HRs 93 RBI

JustOpinions 12-29-2011 01:26 PM

I want Matt Garza as much as the next person but Theo must be off his rocker rumour has it his proposal is

Drabek, Deck McGwire, Anothony Gose and Jake Marisnick

No thanks,

Drabek, sure, Deck ok ok, but than nobody but position fillers and Gose? no way

Drabek, Snider, - Done Deal if you want thames or Rajai be my guest
Theres value with Drabek (who needs the NL) and Snider (who needs a change of scenery) but Im definitely not willing to throw away the farm for 2 years of Matt Garza