Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   How do you recognize coverages pre-snap (/forums/showthread.php?t=537616)

WestMag 02-19-2012 03:21 PM

How do you recognize coverages pre-snap

How do you recognize coverages pre-snap?

Post snap?

Best way to tell man vs. zone?

bgeno 02-19-2012 05:03 PM

For me, it's all about the safeties Pre-snap... One safety high and it's cover 3 or cover 1 (man). Two safeties high and it's cover 2 (or 4 on rare occasions). This doesn't always hold true, as sometimes the strong safety will stay back and play "robber" to get to his zone assignment or lock onto a man, but it is a good barometer.

Post-snap, again, your first look should be the safeties. If they "rotate" (one goes back and the other comes up and essentially stands his ground) its cover 1 or cover 3. At that point, you can watch the corners to decipher if it's 1 or 3. If the corners bail out and go deep, it's a cover 3 shell. If they stand their ground a bit, they're in man. Obviously, if both safeties bail out, it's cover 2 (or 4).

For man v zone, the easiest way pre-snap is to send a receiver in motion. If the corner follows him, it's man. If he passes him off, it's zone.

Someone else can probably add some more tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pielet 02-19-2012 06:24 PM

Man the defenders IMMEDIATELY move out of the huddle to cover their man.

Zone they slowly move towards their position then SLIDE over to the man to mask the coverage.

Cover 3 ALWAYS has a safety slide up to the middle.

Blitz1942 02-19-2012 06:30 PM

Re: How do you recognize coverages pre-snap

Another way to tell is to put a receiver in motion. If the corner covering him follows him all the way across the formation, it's man coverage. If he doesn't, it's zone coverage.

bigman334 02-19-2012 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pielet (Post 2043378864)

Zone they slowly move towards their position then SLIDE over to the man to mask the coverage.

this is how i make my pre-snap reads

bgeno 02-19-2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

I really wish I hadn't read that. Now i'm going I notice it, and it's a cheap way to read defenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pokes404 02-19-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Really wish EA would get CPU defenses to try to disguise their coverages better, but you're right on all 3 points.

Pielet 02-20-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pokes404 (Post 2043379592)
Really wish EA would get CPU defenses to try to disguise their coverages better, but you're right on all 3 points.

Agreed. I hope mr haumiller reads this and changes this. Just posting a fact that is all.