Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Pro Hockey (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Leafs fire Ron Wilson (/forums/showthread.php?t=539603)

BlueNGold 03-02-2012 08:26 PM

Leafs fire Ron Wilson

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=389346

Quote:

Ron Wilson has been fired as head coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs after nearly four seasons behind the bench.

With another season slowly slipping away, general manager Brian Burke felt the need to remove Wilson of his duties; the move coming just a few months after Wilson was given a one-year contract extension in late December.

Wilson's replacement has not been named.

Chants of "Fire Wilson!" echoed through Air Canada Centre when the Maple Leafs fell 5-3 to the Florida Panthers on (Tuesday) Feb. 28. The game marked Wilson's 1,400th career NHL game coached, tying him with Pat Quinn for fourth on the all-time list.

Hired in 2008, Wilson was unable to guide the Maple Leafs to the playoffs during his tenure. They currently own the NHL's second-longest playoff drought at seven years.

Wilson recorded a 34-35-13 mark in his Maple Leafs debut, the club finishing 12th in the Eastern Conference. The following year, the team posted a 30-38-14 record and finished last in the Conference. Last season, Wilson had his first winning season with the Maple Leafs, going 37-34-11, which was good enough for 10th in the Conference.

Through 64 games this season, the Maple Leafs are 29-28-7 under Wilson.
Um, wow. Not that this should come as a surprise, but there's not even 20 games left in the season. I at least thought they would wait until the end of the season.

Kobalt 03-02-2012 08:29 PM

Re: Leafs fire Ron Wilson

Took them long enough, hopefully they don't hire Carlyle :p

BlueNGold 03-02-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kobalt (Post 2043420654)
Took them long enough, hopefully they don't hire Carlyle :p

That's what it sounds like they're going to do.

Ottawa fans are cheering right now because the scoreboard just showed this news. :lol:

SidVish 03-02-2012 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueNGold (Post 2043420661)
That's what it sounds like they're going to do.

Ottawa fans are cheering right now because the scoreboard just showed this news. :lol:

I'm watching the Hawks game and got a good laugh at that. I was wondering what the heck they were cheering about.

BlueNGold 03-02-2012 08:38 PM

Watching Leafs fans celebrate this on hfboards is hilarious.

Quote:

I wasn't planning on going out and getting hammered tonight...

BUT THIS DESERVES A CELEBRATION!!!!!!

Kobalt 03-02-2012 08:56 PM

James Duthie tweeting Randy Carlyle is the new coach.

bad_philanthropy 03-02-2012 11:08 PM

At first I was like :59:, but then it was announced Randy Carlyle would be the replacement and I was all :y13:.

BlueNGold 03-02-2012 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy (Post 2043421090)
At first I was like :59:, but then it was announced Randy Carlyle would be the replacement and I was all :y13:.

That's the same reaction I'm reading from other Leafs fans, if not worse. :lol:

What's so bad about Carlyle? I get that he's in a similar mold to Wilson in that he can be a hard-*** (pause) to his players and isn't exactly a fan of the media, but unlike Wilson he has won a Cup.