Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   NFL Head Coach (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   House Rules (/forums/showthread.php?t=541558)

gausec 03-10-2012 11:41 PM

House Rules

I have played this game a good quite a bit. And I need to a new challenge to it In my Vikings franchise I won the super bowl after one year. So what are your house rules to make it a bit of a challenge.

Mike3207 03-11-2012 12:50 PM

Re: House Rules

Only raise Performance after getting all other regular skills of that level.

No advanced GM skills

Lower the sliders

Winnipeg59 03-11-2012 05:10 PM

Avoid picking the obvious picks on whatever path you're on. Whether that means allowing your GM to scout and then going with only players scouted to a specific extent? Or something that keeps you from picking Zazzali, etc.
And, further to that, not trading up or down for obvious known commodities.

Maybe go so far as to JUST be the HC and give all control to the GM and let him do the off-season on his own??

cutter73 03-12-2012 02:50 AM

No sliders

No performance upgrades past 3

No second tier special skills for my coaches.

No using potential ratings as the sole indicator for cutting players. If I draft a QB in the first round, he get's 3 years to start, which is fairly typical of QB's in the NFL regardless of his potential. If a player wins rookie of the year, or any other league award, he gets and additional year or two as a starter regardless of his ratings. So basically, I try for realism and won't cut a player who won RotY just because i can see his potential isn't high enough.

Sign only 1 90+ FA OR 2 80+ FA's per offseason.

No trading to stockpile picks.

No trading older players, regardless of rating, for first round picks unless we're talking about a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady caliber guy.

No Jack English or Ozzie Jones draft paths.

Take over a team in a tough division. It's much more challanging to play in the NFC East in this game as the Redskins than it is to play as any of the NFC North teams for example because the competition is much better.

Hire only trainers with a below 80 rating. This is a big one. Dealing with injuries can really make for a more challenging experience.

These things usually give me a good challenge. They can make for some downright brutal rebuilding years if you take over a bad team.

gausec 03-14-2012 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winnipeg59 (Post 2043454405)
Avoid picking the obvious picks on whatever path you're on. Whether that means allowing your GM to scout and then going with only players scouted to a specific extent? Or something that keeps you from picking Zazzali, etc.
And, further to that, not trading up or down for obvious known commodities.

Maybe go so far as to JUST be the HC and give all control to the GM and let him do the off-season on his own??

I really like this idea how do I allow the CPU get free agents? or is it just sim and it will happen?

rdnk 03-14-2012 10:08 PM

Resign the guys you drafted. Lots of people I find will trade guys before they hit RFA status for high picks and draft replacements. Things get harder when you resign Campbell, Moore, ect to mega-contracts.

More rules:
No trading special teams players
No in-season scouting
Try to keep 20 M free in cap at all times (justified by working for a small market team)

Mike3207 03-16-2012 01:45 PM

Here's a idea-once your staff gets built up(it takes me about 3-4 years), instead of switching teams-fire the entire coaching staff. Do this every 3-4 years, and the level of coaching in the league should increase-corresponding with more competitive games as a result.