Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB The Show Last Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   MLB '12: The Show Review (PS3) (/forums/showthread.php?t=542520)

RaychelSnr 03-15-2012 04:43 PM

MLB '12: The Show Review (PS3)

The best sports games, at least on the simulation side of things, are those that best reproduce the sport they represent. We can hopefully project that one day a perfect sports game will be produced; one that completely mirrors its real-life counterpart in every way.

Here’s the problem: because the game it so closely imitates doesn’t change from year to year, this perfect reproduction -- the same down to the smallest detail -- doesn’t change either. And because we expect big innovations in our virtual sports, but not the real ones, it’s called “stale,” “repetitive,” and “boring” by both users and critics.

To be clear, MLB 12: The Show is not that perfect game, and has a long way to go until it is. However, I believe MLB 12: The Show to be the closest and truest representation of a sport on consoles today. You, like me, may find parts to be lacking, and I think that “stale” does accurately describe certain aspects of the game. But taken for what it is -- another step in the quest for the “perfect game” -- MLB 12: The Show is one of the best.

Read More - MLB '12: The Show Review (PS3)

Perfect Zero 03-15-2012 04:47 PM

Re: MLB '12: The Show Review (PS3)

I agree with the majority of this article, except I would dock the game on online just a bit more. Online is simply unplayable, and since one of the biggest new modes (Diamond Dynasty) is dependent on it, it really hurts the game. Otherwise, solid score.

pistolpete 03-15-2012 04:52 PM

Singles off the wall and kick saves by pitchers are realistic?

DeathJohnson 03-15-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pistolpete (Post 2043470985)
Singles off the wall and kick saves by pitchers are realistic?

Heh, yeah, the pitchers make ridiculous "saves" this year. Last year a hit up the middle was a base hit almost all the time, this year it seems like half of them just bounce off the pitcher and go to another fielder who can throw you out easily from there. I don't believe I've seen that yet in the MLB.

pistolpete 03-15-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeathJohnson (Post 2043471002)
Heh, yeah, the pitchers make ridiculous "saves" this year. Last year a hit up the middle was a base hit almost all the time, this year it seems like half of them just bounce off the pitcher and go to another fielder who can throw you out easily from there. I don't believe I've seen that yet in the MLB.

Generally when a ball hits a pitcher it's worldwide panic.

DJ 03-15-2012 05:15 PM

Good, balanced review.

jkra0512 03-15-2012 05:24 PM

Great review. Definitely agree with most everything here. I don't play online so I don't know about that component.

bukktown 03-15-2012 05:34 PM

The online modes and mini games are very glitchy right now. I think it's too early to review them.