Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Back to Madden... (/forums/showthread.php?t=54328)

Hooligan 10-02-2003 01:01 AM

Back to Madden...

So I got Madden when it came out, played it, tried my hardest to tweak it, got mad because I have the Xbox version and draft classes didn't work, bought ESPN NFL Football, had a blast with it, sold original madden, then this week got the replacement disk back...

And after playing ESPN for almost a month straight, I still really enjoy madden, and think it does some things MUCH better than ESPN.

Another thing I noticed, the game plays GREAT on default All-Star. I've had two great preseason games so far, not high scoring or anything. The only two things I changed were Penalties and quarter length.

I think I got too worked up over slider settings that I didn't give the game time, and play it default for a bit. It really plays very very well.

I guess my advice, after being away from Madden for a bit, is go and play some Default All-Pro games. See what you think. Although ESPN is definitely an AMAZING game, I think I'm going to have a great time with Madden and NCAA running simultaneous dynasties/franchises, watching players go through college and get to the primetime of the NFL.

Kanobi 10-02-2003 01:07 AM

Re: Back to Madden...

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />
Hooligan said:
Although ESPN is definitely an AMAZING game, I think I'm going to have a great time with Madden and NCAA running simultaneous dynasties/franchises, watching players go through college and get to the primetime of the NFL.

<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">

Yeah, man. Thats one thing I absolutely love about NCAA/Madden is how you can basically wtach players develop from straight out of high school til they retire in Madden. Not just that but being able to go back and check the stats of draft prospects. I love how you can load up NCAA and go over how Madden rookie prospects performed in college. Hell, a few of them you might have faced first hand while playing your NCAA dynasty. Sweet! Especially with Madden and NCAA's franchise/dynasty modes being so deep. Good stuff!!!!

Jistic 10-02-2003 08:55 AM

And whats more is that they can even become coaches someday after they retire.

Whaaaazuuuuup 10-02-2003 09:53 AM

Hooligan said:
So I got Madden when it came out, played it, tried my hardest to tweak it, got mad because I have the Xbox version and draft classes didn't work, bought ESPN NFL Football, had a blast with it, sold original madden, then this week got the replacement disk back...

And after playing ESPN for almost a month straight, I still really enjoy madden, and think it does some things MUCH better than ESPN.

Another thing I noticed, the game plays GREAT on default All-Star. I've had two great preseason games so far, not high scoring or anything. The only two things I changed were Penalties and quarter length.

I think I got too worked up over slider settings that I didn't give the game time, and play it default for a bit. It really plays very very well.

I guess my advice, after being away from Madden for a bit, is go and play some Default All-Pro games. See what you think. Although ESPN is definitely an AMAZING game, I think I'm going to have a great time with Madden and NCAA running simultaneous dynasties/franchises, watching players go through college and get to the primetime of the NFL.

i totally agree. i've yet to touch a single slider in MADDEN 2004. if feel there's a problem, i'd just practice more o those siuations. default is not perfect, ut man, it's close...

onetonmartin 10-02-2003 10:40 AM

Hooligan said:

I'm pimpin' ESPN right now, but I'm not gonna lie.. Madden &amp; NCAA has the best out of game setup ever.. out of anybody... even without the new owner mode. I really miss those little subtleties. I can't tell you how many times I would play an EA game &amp; say "OMFG, they come up with everything." or "OMFG, this is the greatest game I've ever played." I feel the EA games on next gen. consuls have the chance to separate from the pack again. The only things IMO that separate ESPN &amp; MAD on the field are momentum physics &amp; graphics. All of which can be changed if EA wishes to do so. I don't see physics changing though because my opinion is not a popular one.

Hooligan 10-02-2003 10:58 AM

The other thing I didn't mention, but after playing both extensively is, I do think that Madden is a bit smarter. I just think the AI is better and more accurate towards real football. You can really see teams change to how you are playing. I never really saw this in ESPN, and some of the griping about ESPN was that defenses wouldn't adjust.

Oh, and one more thing... Madden has player tendencies down VERY well. Played my 2nd preseason game against the Bears, and Kordell was very prone to run, forcing me to run a lot of QB spy defenses. That is just something that wouldn't really happen in ESPN. In madden you have to be worried about facing a Kordell, Daunte, or *gulp* Vick or McNabb.

Just some more simple musings

Bonez420 10-02-2003 11:13 AM

Hooligan said:
The other thing I didn't mention, but after playing both extensively is, I do think that Madden is a bit smarter. I just think the AI is better and more accurate towards real football. You can really see teams change to how you are playing. I never really saw this in ESPN, and some of the griping about ESPN was that defenses wouldn't adjust.

Oh, and one more thing... Madden has player tendencies down VERY well. Played my 2nd preseason game against the Bears, and Kordell was very prone to run, forcing me to run a lot of QB spy defenses. That is just something that wouldn't really happen in ESPN. In madden you have to be worried about facing a Kordell, Daunte, or *gulp* Vick or McNabb.

Just some more simple musings

You know what's weird though? Against me, Kordell and McNabb didn't really run. Vick ran a little bit, but the biggest person I've played that's run is McNair. Now, if I have to ever play the Titans, he worries me more than Vick or McNabb, because he is speedy and actually does take off often. Aaron Brooks always TRIES to take off but gets caught early by the defense.

Kanobi 10-02-2003 12:40 PM

Hooligan said:

The adaptive AI in espnfl is unmatched. I played several seasons in Madden 2004's Franchise Mode and was able to succeed quite easily with the same strategy against every CPU opponent. In Espnfl's Franchise Mode you have to keep changing your playcalling/gameplan because the CPU AI will definitely adapt to what you're doing as if you're bieng scouted...like the CPU watches film on you in a sense.

Hooligan said:

The QBs scramble realistically in espnfl as well and guys like Vick, McNabb, etc are just as dangerous if not moreso than they are in Madden.