Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB The Show Last Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Does it matter how long you hold X with classic pitching? (/forums/showthread.php?t=543895)

Kiboshed 03-24-2012 06:19 PM

Does it matter how long you hold X with classic pitching?

Does it affect accuracy if held too short or too long?

What bout speed if held too short or too long?

I know if held too long there's a vibration but I don't know what that means.

Can anyone confirm?

nemesis04 03-24-2012 06:41 PM

Re: Does it matter how long you hold X with classic pitching?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiboshed (Post 2043499293)
Does it affect accuracy if held too short or too long?

What bout speed if held too short or too long?

I know if held too long there's a vibration but I don't know what that means.

Can anyone confirm?

The vibration means max effort you are putting behind the pitch. So you can have varying degrees of effort applied to the pitch giving you more or less movement depending on the pitch.

Joey 03-24-2012 06:45 PM

I believe they call the vibration max effort. I know a lot of people have their own ideas about it, but I've always used it and found the best results for me is when I hold the button until the top of the leg kick or beginning of stride (if no leg kick). Try it and see what you think.

nomo17k 03-24-2012 07:34 PM

It was confirmed by Ramone@SCEA that the vibration means the max effort (also see Brian@SCEA's most recent thread on Research Poll).

You'll get more movement and/or velocity but will lose a bit of command with the max effort I believe. I think there was a brief description in the in-game strategy guide (Pitching section) as well.

chuckm1961 03-26-2012 02:13 PM

Also, keep in mind, a pitcher throwing from the Stretch will usually release much quicker than from Windup.

So you have less time to work with when pitching from Stretch.

I love Classic Pitching!!

jtott 03-26-2012 09:01 PM

I too play with classic pitching... have been for years. The longer you hold "x" down, you do get more "umph" behnd the pitch , but you lose accuracy with it... example : lets say you're throwing a fastball on the corner, down and outside.. holding the x button down too long could cause that pitch to go way outside , up and out of the zone, or if your lucky .. right where you wanted it... but the latter rarely happens.

Now lets say you are throwing a curveball ... holding down the x button too long usually puts that ball in the dirt... or leaves it hanging .... and it gets crushed!

chuckm1961 03-27-2012 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtott (Post 2043504980)
I too play with classic pitching... have been for years. The longer you hold "x" down, you do get more "umph" behnd the pitch , but you lose accuracy with it... example : lets say you're throwing a fastball on the corner, down and outside.. holding the x button down too long could cause that pitch to go way outside , up and out of the zone, or if your lucky .. right where you wanted it... but the latter rarely happens.

Now lets say you are throwing a curveball ... holding down the x button too long usually puts that ball in the dirt... or leaves it hanging .... and it gets crushed!

But if the longer button press "works," your fastball will be faster and move better. Your curve will have more bite.

It's a risk-benefit game .... the longer you hold the button the riskier territory you are in. Just like real life, when you throw harder, good or bad things can happen.

And the results are dictated more by player ratings, and less by my ability to push buttons in time with watching stuff. A four-year-old can do that.

I love Classic Pitching!

Cavicchi 03-27-2012 09:05 AM

I use classic pitching and this thread may help me pitch better. I find my control better with certain pitchers, the ones with a high kick. Maybe I should make all my pitchers have the same delivery :)

Seriously, this thread is really great information for those of us needing help with Classic pitching. Thanks to all who contributed :waytogo: