Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Fiu dynasty (/forums/showthread.php?t=550575)

Clemsonpanther 05-05-2012 05:45 PM

Fiu dynasty

Any advice?

elijah53johnston 05-05-2012 06:19 PM

Re: Fiu dynasty

I don't have any advice,but they are a tough team to use. I am 2-5 so far in year 1.

bknutz 05-05-2012 08:31 PM

I'm using fau. I imagine it's roughly the same. I Think they are sleeping giants with the recruiting talent in Florida. The conference doesn't help too much. Troy looks good in my dynasty, but that's about it for help with the schedule. I'd go after the big boys in your non-conference schedule. Take control of Florida. And you could build a power.

Clemsonpanther 05-06-2012 11:23 AM

Should I adjust the sliders? I beat NT 46-33 ish last night on 10 min quarters

BigSteveTN09 05-07-2012 12:09 AM

I've done this a few times. I loved playing with FIU when things got boring with Tennessee.

For clarification, I play on 10 minute quarters on Heisman using the sliders from one of the threads in the sliders section that makes the game harrrrrrd.

Early on, recruit Florida ONLY. You get bonus points for them being in-state, there's a ton of talent in Florida anyway, and you can usually get some speedy guys.

Try to find a 2 or 3 star recruit that's flying under everyone's radar with AT LEAST B+'s in speed and acceleration. This will be your play maker early on returning kicks/punts and lining up in the slot.

If I remember correctly, FIU has DECENT WRs already. I actually think one of them got taken in this year's draft which was heartwarming considering I've played with Hilton over the years. I know they've got some speed at HB and WR so you should be able to get a good year or two out of them.

QB - Carrol and Medlock end up performing well enough. I recruited whoever wanted to come at this position. I didn't care if they were a scrambler or a pocket passer, I just needed an arm on the team. I went after scramblers early because I was using a playbook that was geared more towards that.

RB - Mallary ended up being a big playmaker for me for a few years when I played with them. I recruited little speedy zippy backs for the RB position early on. You won't get a well rounded guy for a few years. Make up for the skills with speed.

WR - I know that Hilton and Younger always played well for me. Coleman was always someone I could count on as well. I remember Times showing out a few games as well. You'll be able to recruit some speed early from the 2-3 star talent. Just gun hard for a speedy recruit, it makes things a lot easier in that conference and you'll have your go-to guy for the big games.

Be sure to set the WR catching to "conservative." I can't tell you how many times I had guys that would drop balls, especially playing better teams. In my second season one year I was playing Alabama and I had 8 dropped passes. Ever since then I've rocked the conservative catching with poorly stocked teams.

When recruiting, just aim for speedy guys. You're going to need guys that can get open QUICK until you get your OL up to par.

I rarely used TEs, as I would attempt to spread the field with 4-5 WR sets. Not really cheesing, I just didn't like the idea of a team with a subpar line trying to run plays that had to develop (ie PA passes). Basically any package where my QB lined up under center I was getting blasted pretty consistently. Not to mention that good teams pretty much camped out in the backfield if I attempted to run a more conventional offense.

I used Mississippi State's playbook to great success and I think I tried Oregon's a few times. Either one works out well if you recruit accordingly.

OL - like I said, I didn't really use conventional single back or i-form packages with this team because I didn't trust the line. Maybe when you've had time to build a line that you can count on, go for it, but I didn't run with it. I had greater success spreading the field out and attacking it that way.

Sweeps, draws, 4-5 WR passing packages, screens of all sorts, WR sweeps. A lot of things that I wouldn't run with other teams usually, but things that I found myself using because I had no reason NOT to open up the playbook. FIU is not a deep team, so using unconventional plays was a way to keep the defense on edge. I'm sure that the computer's defense wasn't like "oh he's opening up the playbook big time! These plays are so intense and there's no method to this madness!", but it made me believe that I was using them to success, which was important.

On defense I set the adjustments to aggressive stripping and pass defense. Anything to force turnovers. You're not going to have a lot of success on defense. Just blitz blitz blitz and force turnovers is really all you can do. I always came out with one extra DB. So if they came out in a 2 WR set, I'd come out in nickel. I valued speed. A lot of the LBs couldn't get to the ball, and if they did, they weren't tackling. So I just put a lot of guys out there who can at least get to the ball and slow the runner down so they'll eventually get gang tackled.

Another reason that I came out with so many DBs was for blitzing purposes. I blitzed my nickel a LOT. A whole lot. Your LBs don't have elite speed, so getting to the QB is a must.

I also came out in 1-5-5 to blitz a lot.

Whatever you can do to get to the quarterback, do that. Use blitzes that you're comfortable with. Doesn't matter if they're man or zone, just get back there.

Honestly, if you dropped every guy back in zone or had everyone manned up you'd get picked apart. Later on, when you've had time to recruit well or you get some guys that you trust in your secondary, or a great pass rusher, you can go back to a conservative D. In the meantime, you have to create pressure. The guys that you're bringing in for blitzes wouldn't do their job anyway, so put them to good use.

DL - I tried my damndest to get a pass rushing LE that I could use. It took me a few years to get a good defensive line corp that I could depend on.

LB - Dillard is THE MAN. Keep him in as much as possible. He can anchor your D on blitzes or dropping back in zone. Solid player. I recruited speed early on for blitzing and to catch speedy RBs.

CB - Cheeseborough is top 10 favorite DBs I've ever played with on NCAA. He was Mr. Dependable many many times. If I remember correctly, your best DBs are younger guys, so they'll step up in a big way in your second season. As far as recruiting goes for these guys, I went after speed early. Simply because I was blitzing a lot and needed guys who could track down WRs that were open or players that would break outside.

I remember Griffin being a pretty good kicker, but I didn't play with them on NCAA12, only 10 and 11. Special teams is special teams. Try to strip the ball a lot and go for big hits. Anything to give you a fumble recovery on ST plays.

If you start playing well, you'll get at least 1 or 2 solid transfers that will come in and contribute. I picked up a LB from Florida one year. I also got a DB from USC as well. Either way, you'll pull in some guys that are top notch and can help out a lot. If you're really lucky, you'll get a RB or WR from somewhere that has a lot to offer.

Like I said, I went after speed a lot while recruiting. Speed helps a lot early on until you can build a great team. It helps open the playbook too, on both sides of the ball.

My FIU team was at its best when I had:
QB - Balanced that had low 80s speed.
RB - 2 speed backs that I would put in a dual back shotgun spread a lot. That offered a lot of audible options.
Line - great pass protectors

DL - a pass rushing LE and 2 HUGE DTs
LB - FAST OLBs and a strong MLB
DBs - guys that were FAST and great in man coverage

It got to a point where I didn't have to blitz that much anymore and my line would create pressure while my DBs actually covered their guys. I had some amazing DBs come through and some record-setting DEs while I was there. It was great.

You'll have a real fun time with this team. I loved them and I had a blast playing as their coach in multiple installments of NCAA. I usually filled my open weeks with ACC opponents looking to move there, but I feel like my success never got me a spot in the ACC. I did move up but I can't remember where.

Your first 3 or 4 seasons are going to be awesome. It's very rewarding to move a team like FIU to a 6 star prestige school with a lights-out defense and a potent offense. I wasn't scared of any teams anymore and so I left for Tulane after like 8 seasons. Have fun!

BigSteveTN09 05-07-2012 11:39 PM

I forgot to mention to always rock the black jerseys lol

TomSellecksMustache 05-09-2012 12:18 PM

solid post...good info

maybe Ill try them out in my next dynasty

Jakeboutte 05-09-2012 03:38 PM

SPEED! Recruit Speed! You need fast guys! Go for SPEED!