Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   College Basketball (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   College Basketball Off Topic (/forums/showthread.php?t=558364)

phenom1990 07-01-2012 10:14 PM

College Basketball Off Topic

Hey I figured this thread would be a good way to stir up some college basketball discussion in the slower months for stories that might not be thread worthy by themselves.

So I'll start it up. I'm taking a cross country flight in July and just bought the Duke Kentucky 92 book by Gene Wojo. Has anybody else read it? Also does anybody have any other suggestions for college basketball books?

phenom1990 07-11-2012 02:36 PM

Re: College Basketball Off Topic

24 Hour Marathon Announced:

Quote:

First things first. The games are as follows (all times ET):

Midnight: West Virginia at Gonzaga
2 a.m.: Davidson at New Mexico
4 a.m.: Houston Baptist at Hawaii
6 a.m.: Stony Brook at Rider
8 a.m.: Northern Illinois at Valparaiso
10 a.m.: Harvard at Massachusetts
12 p.m.: Temple at Kent State
2 p.m.: Detroit at St. John’s
4 p.m.: Butler at Xavier
7 p.m.: Michigan State vs. Kansas (Champions Classic, Georgia Dome, Atlanta)
30 minutes following MSU/KU: Duke vs. Kentucky (Champions Classic)
Butler and Xavier play a non-conference game that day and then later in the season play an A-10 conference game. I don't think I have ever seen that before.

sven 07-11-2012 05:47 PM

Looks good. Can't wait for the start of the season.

dunnyduns 07-11-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phenom1990 (Post 2043860508)
Butler and Xavier play a non-conference game that day and then later in the season play an A-10 conference game. I don't think I have ever seen that before.

10 years ago Indiana and Purdue played an out of conference neutral court game at the RCA Dome because the imbalanced schedule had them only playing once in the Big Ten. They only played OOC that one year even though the next year they also only met once in the Big Ten.

phenom1990 07-11-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunnyduns (Post 2043861641)
10 years ago Indiana and Purdue played an out of conference neutral court game at the RCA Dome because the imbalanced schedule had them only playing once in the Big Ten. They only played OOC that one year even though the next year they also only met once in the Big Ten.

Interesting. Is that the 1st year the Big Ten went to imbalanced schedules?

dunnyduns 07-11-2012 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phenom1990 (Post 2043863195)
Interesting. Is that the 1st year the Big Ten went to imbalanced schedules?

No, the Big Ten has had imbalanced schedules in basketball ever since Penn State joined. It just took until 2001 for it to rotate so that IU and Purdue played each other once a season. That IU/Purdue game in 2002 is the only time I have seen conference teams play a non-conference game. Until this season of course. So, it's probably very rare for it to happen.

phenom1990 07-12-2012 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunnyduns (Post 2043863626)
No, the Big Ten has had imbalanced schedules in basketball ever since Penn State joined. It just took until 2001 for it to rotate so that IU and Purdue played each other once a season. That IU/Purdue game in 2002 is the only time I have seen conference teams play a non-conference game. Until this season of course. So, it's probably very rare for it to happen.

The only other scenario I could see is if two teams in the same conference played in the same preseason tournament. But I can't think of any instances like that.

jake44np 07-12-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phenom1990 (Post 2043863697)
The only other scenario I could see is if two teams in the same conference played in the same preseason tournament. But I can't think of any instances like that.

Teams in the same conference never play in the same preseason tournements.