Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Whatever happened to enjoying games (/forums/showthread.php?t=568722)

BezO 08-22-2012 10:30 AM

Re: Whatever happened to enjoying games

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuttingteeth (Post 2044038355)
You missed the whole point and quoted only a partial context. The overall point is that the people who EA only listens to ARE the knowledgeable gamers...but they are ones they employ at lower levels and then perhaps their friends, too. Even if some avid gamers from here get to go give EA an ear full, too, that's still just having the few making the decisions for the masses.

Like folks have said since, they are NOT listening to knowledgable gamers. LBzRule has been to CD, I've been there, PG, AJ... I've witnessed pages of notes, discussions, emails, etc. If they made the game based on what knowledgable gamers are suggesting, we wouldn't be asking whatever happened to enjoying games. We'd be enjoying games, sharing knowledge & strategies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuttingteeth (Post 2044038355)
Now, I agree their voting on ratings this year was moronic, but that was flawed because of the design of it all. More to what I said, if you read it, to have a completely open ballot of all possible features sent out to everyone...then and only then will you even remotely find out what "everyone" wants.

I'm not even talking about the ratings votes. It's silly & will get swallowed up by the 1st roster update... hopefully.

I'm talking about who the game is made for. I can no longer be convinced that EA is attempting to make the most realistic football game possible. Every year decisions are made proving that's not the case. Madden has consistently gone for flash over substance. If you're up to it, look at LBzRule's post history. Dude drops knowledge in every post with video examples. He's been doing it for years. If they were making the game based on what he wanted & not Joe Casual, most everything you see on Sundays would be in the game already. We'd be talking about "the little things".

Quote:

Originally Posted by Only1LT (Post 2044038455)
Agree with pretty much everything you said.

The one small thing I disagree with is that they should be soliciting the LBz', Bezo'z, Shmyttee's of the world to help with designing the game. Love all you guys, but it wouldn't do a lick of good. That's the reason why I put absolutely zero stock in the CD's and GC's and any other program of that ilk.

Two reasons.

1- People can have delusions of grandeur if they want and believe that Tiburon put in a major feature or fixed a major issue cause they hounded them, but the truth is that they have their plan and they deviate from it little. Small additions and changes that they can implement with little time and effort, they will do. Their customer service is not that bad that they wouldn't. It's a little ridiculous though to believe that a focus group can have so much sway as to effect real change though, and then in the next breath say that we should cut the devs slack cause they are at the mercy of the "suits". Huh???? Not addressing this to you Bez.

2- And most important. Even before the exclusive, EA/Tiburon had access to experts that are actually in the industry. Since the exclusive, they have said (claim?) that the partnership is even closer knit and that they have a level of access beyond our wildest imagination. If the game is in the state it's in, and they have complete access to everything NFL (and NCAA for that matter), as much as I respect the posters I mentioned, and many more that I didn't, what more do you think can be done?

Tiburon makes the game. You can go to as many CD's and be a proud GC all you want. Nothing will change until Tiburon wants to change how they develop the game. Period.

Feel free to point out issues with the game. It may be an issue that they aren't aware of, or never looked at in a certain light, and they may, at the very least, put it on the docket for things to discuss at the next meeting, but be realistic as to what impact you can actually have in changing the business practices of a multi-billion dollar company.

I know I'm replying to you, but I'm just speaking generally. I'm not one to make threads, so sometimes a post will make me go on a tangent lol.

Apologies.

Agreed!

I'm talking ideals. IF EA WAS interested in making the most realistic football game possible, that's what they would need.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LowerWolf (Post 2044038478)
To a certain point, I agree. But, you have to remember, the fans are the ones playing the game. You have to have balance between being a sim and being fun - not that the two are mutually exclusive. If you make a game that goes over the majority of your fans' heads, you're going to lose your fanbase pretty quick. It has to be dumbed down somewhat. It's a fine line.

Using your car analogy, if the engineers design a technically perfect car, but the average person has no idea how to drive it, how many people are actually going to buy that car?

AFTER all the Football gets into the game, sure, Joe Casual tests it out. From there you implement difficulty levels. But Joe Casual doesn't need to understand every aspect of football to play the game. Outside of the engineers & developers, I'm not sure who could tell you what drives run defense, so Joe Casual not knowing what a run fit is, for example, won't detract from his fun. Current method or more realistic, he wouldn't know what the front 7 assignments were.

Back to the cars, Mercedez doen'st make cars for the 75 year old lady that tops out at 35 mph & takes turns at 5 mph. They don't use simple, outdated technology, hoping she'll understand how everything works. They make the highest performing car they can, that can do things most of us don't have the skill to do, but can also go as slow as that old lady needs it to.

inkcil 08-22-2012 11:09 AM

Djordan you really hit the nail on the head in response to the OP...it's just too difficult for me to enjoy Madden when the rate of progression is slower now than it was 10 years ago. For over 10 years Madden improved every year, especially when it came to new consoles. But ever since this current gen, it has completely fallen off. It used to be that Madden graduated to the next "grade" at the end of every school year, but for the past 8 years, they have only gone from Kindergarten to 4th grade on this gen, when they should be in 8th grade. Madden used to "compete" with the best games on the PS One, PS2 and older systems...now it can't even "compete" with other top notch sports franchises in hockey, basketball and soccer, much less with games like Uncharted 3, Infamous or even a Little Big Planet 2.

Madden used to be arguably the best at what it did, just as those games I just mentioned are today.

Today, for many of us, when we pick up Madden it's more about "giving it a chance" or "hoping we enjoy it" or it's just because we love the NFL and videogames so much we will invest in the marraige between the two, even when we have only one choice, and even if that means it will be just a rental or an early trade-in.

Mixing the NFL and Videogames should be like mixing peanut butter and chocolate, instead it's like mixing peanut butter (NFL) and vinegar (EA).

inkcil 08-22-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mooch49 (Post 2044025117)
It seems nowadays most look to find everything wrong with the game, rather than just enjoying it for what it really is, a videogame. I realize in todays technology, we expect as close of emulation to the real thing. But we often forget that games originally intended to be fun. This years Madden, like in previous ones, may not emulate the NFL perfectly and completely. But it still is a darn good representation of football, while also serving as a enjoyable gaming experience. When I want the real thing, I watch the real thing. When I want to fantasize about it, I play Madden. Simple as that.
Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2

To ur question, it's hard for me to enjoy Granny's apple turnover nowadays when she burns it, or burns the edges, or uses bad apples, or gives it to me with sour milk - epecially when I can remember there was a time where she used to give it to me fresh out of the oven and it was so good that it won a ton of bakeoff awards. "

How could she make the crust so light and fluffy 9 years ago, but today she can't help but burn the edges? Shouldn't her recipe have improved over time?"

What ever happened to enjoying games that improved for their time at the progression level that the new technology and past acheivments afforded? You have to be in a forum where that game exists today.

People are enjoying games, but its just sad when certain games you want to enjoy aren't as enjoyable as they used to be (for the day and time that they are in).

We love sports, and arguably none more than the NFL. I'm of the opinion that the biggest, baddest sport should have the biggest, baddest game. Anything less is underachievement. Especially when you consider that the NFL is NOT ONLY one of the biggest sports in America, it is one of the biggest Pop Culture Icons, one of the Biggest Past Times, one of the Biggest Money Makers not only for itself but also for whole Cities and Communities, one of the most Visible and Reported on Industries, one of the Most Storied Businesses, one of the most Philanthropic, one of the most profitable makers of young millionaires and entrepeneurs, one of the most exciting, the nature of which appeals to our most basic instincts to engage in activity, sport, competition and teamwork...I mean I could go on and on.

Can I say the same about treasure hunting? No. So why is the treausre hunting game so much better at what it does than Madden is? Can i say the same about dressing up like a bat and fighting crime? No. So why is the bat game so much better at what is does than Madden is? Can I say the same about greek mythology? No, so why is the greek mythology game so much better at what it does than Madden is? And if you want to pull the "development cycle" card, remember that it wasn't always this way.

You are asking the wrong question good man. The wrong question.