Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   PENALTY SLIDER SETS ACTUALLY AFFECT GAMEPLAY (/forums/showthread.php?t=578899)

darrenp1518 09-19-2012 08:12 AM

PENALTY SLIDER SETS ACTUALLY AFFECT GAMEPLAY

First off i want to preface this by saying that to truly be able to test this out you have to set all the penalties to the default setting and adjust each one while leaving the others at 50 so that you can see the affect it has. This is important because certain penalty sliders have a counter effect on each other.

1.) Offsides set to 100 makes defenders shed blocks much more efficiently than at 50 or 25.
2.) Clipping at 33 instead of at 50 GREATLY improves the blocking. (Theres actually a video on youtube titled terrible cpu rushing in cc...and he has the clipping at 55 in combination with offsides at 100...this is disaster for the cpu rushing game as the blockers don't seal anybody and if he sets the clipping to 33 with those same sliders the cpu would dominate in the run game.)
3.) Roughing the kicker at 99 greatly reduces the defenses aggressiveness on tackles and leads to many WTF moments where the db will stop and let a receiver run right by them after they make the catch. With this at 25 you will never see that.
4.) Defensive pass interference at 99 instead of 50 speeds up the receivers ability to get into their routes and therefore slows down the time it takes for the routes to develop for the qb.
5.) kick catch interference is very similar to the roughing the kicker slider. IMO its best to find a penalty combination that leaves this at 50 because i believe both of them negatively affect pursuit angles somehow.
6.) intentional grounding- im not sure what this does yet but i would leave it at 50 to be on the safe side so that you don't get any unwanted affects...especially since it never gets called anyway.

Please guys let me know what you think about this because the penalty sliders can greatly affect the gameplay sliders and i just want to make sure that everyone is aware of this.

SECElit3 09-19-2012 08:24 AM

So in theory, turning off the penalties completely, would provide near perfect game play? I'll play around with this a bit and give you my thoughts later.

King Gro23 09-19-2012 09:08 AM

Re: PENALTY SLIDER SETS ACTUALLY AFFECT GAMEPLAY

In the back of my head I have wondered this for the last few years playing madden but I haven't ever tested it enough and knew what to look for when testing so I kinda just threw the idea in the "Sounds cool but won't try" pile.

I've wondered if/when we crank up Pass interference if that makes the AI aware that if they get physical or contact WR they will act like it's nothing (reason we see bumps/sliding and what not, but minimal interaction in order to avoid a penalty. So they will cheat the system to avoid penalties and will be less aggressive in the air.

Clipping I noticed when it is too high the routes players take to block are hindered greatly. It's so evident on Kick-offs and Punt returns, ever notice your blockers when your running across the field or at an angle and they have a guy they could of blocked by they let them pass and they run on their back hip (So as the runner you think oh cutback and they will get smash by blocker once they turn shoulders and what not) Wrong blockers will push them in the back for a obvious dumb clip, or they we let them switch direction and cutback with you and then hold them. The infamous holding penalty happens when you change direction to extremity.

Offsides too high makes the line flinch but they never truly ever get fooled and jump offside only if you hike the ball while they are jump snap flinching & in neutral zone

Now I wonder if assuming the OP statement is true and accurate if there is a way to tune gameplay to become better and more fundamental, and still recieve flags for the games violations. I hate the lack of penalties already as is.. Not to start any problems but It was funny in anticipation for Madden 13 over the summer I would play All-Pro Football 2k8 (with updated NFL rosters) & NFL 2k5 with updated rosters and in 1 game of each I seen 11 different types of penalties I never see in madden

- Inelligble man downfield
- Throw pass the LOS
- Offensive & defensive pass interference
- Illegal touching
- Intentional grounding
- Offsetting penalties ;penalties on both teams
-Holding in the endzone
- 2 penalties on same team
- Defensive holding
-Illegal hands to face

I seen all of those penalties within a 3 game span playing APF 2k8 & NFL 2k5

I wish madden would have effective and true penalties like 2K sports could implement it opens up everything and just adds that much more realism. & The proof in the pudding was always shown in replays user control & game que'd it was awesome!
Just another madden script waiting to be debunked

darrenp1518 09-19-2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SECElit3 (Post 2044193096)
So in theory, turning off the penalties completely, would provide near perfect game play? I'll play around with this a bit and give you my thoughts later.

No i dont think so because certain penalty adjustments enhance the gameplay and if you turn penalties off the affect would probably be the same as the default 50 setting...But ya tell me what you think because im definitely seeing an impact on gameplay

darrenp1518 09-19-2012 09:16 AM

Ya i definitely agree with you about how penalties aren't called effectively in madden 13 but im not sure that will ever be addressed. But im glad you saw what i saw with the clipping. Because if clipping is set at 55 you wont see any crack back blocks like the one on sean lee last sunday. But if you set it to 33 you will see blockers going out of there way to come back and throw blocks. But when it comes to offsides im not really able to get the defense to go offsides either but the dline plays with alot of aggression when the penalty slider is at 100 and maybe they are just plain quicker and faster. But if you leave all the penalty sliders at default and play a few plays. Then go back and put offsides to 100 you will notice how the dline explodes off the ball.

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Gro23 (Post 2044193182)
In the back of my head I have wondered this for the last few years playing madden but I haven't ever tested it enough and knew what to look for when testing so I kinda just threw the idea in the "Sounds cool but won't try" pile.

I've wondered if/when we crank up Pass interference if that makes the AI aware that if they get physical or contact WR they will act like it's nothing (reason we see bumps/sliding and what not, but minimal interaction in order to avoid a penalty. So they will cheat the system to avoid penalties and will be less aggressive in the air.

Clipping I noticed when it is too high the routes players take to block are hindered greatly. It's so evident on Kick-offs and Punt returns, ever notice your blockers when your running across the field or at an angle and they have a guy they could of blocked by they let them pass and they run on their back hip (So as the runner you think oh cutback and they will get smash by blocker once they turn shoulders and what not) Wrong blockers will push them in the back for a obvious dumb clip, or they we let them switch direction and cutback with you and then hold them. The infamous holding penalty happens when you change direction to extremity.

Offsides too high makes the line flinch but they never truly ever get fooled and jump offside only if you hike the ball while they are jump snap flinching & in neutral zone

Now I wonder if assuming the OP statement is true and accurate if there is a way to tune gameplay to become better and more fundamental, and still recieve flags for the games violations. I hate the lack of penalties already as is.. Not to start any problems but It was funny in anticipation for Madden 13 over the summer I would play All-Pro Football 2k8 (with updated NFL rosters) & NFL 2k5 with updated rosters and in 1 game of each I seen 11 different types of penalties I never see in madden

- Inelligble man downfield
- Throw pass the LOS
- Offensive & defensive pass interference
- Illegal touching
- Intentional grounding
- Offsetting penalties ;penalties on both teams
-Holding in the endzone
- 2 penalties on same team
- Defensive holding
-Illegal hands to face

I seen all of those penalties within a 3 game span playing APF 2k8 & NFL 2k5

I wish madden would have effective and true penalties like 2K sports could implement it opens up everything and just adds that much more realism. & The proof in the pudding was always shown in replays user control & game que'd it was awesome!
Just another madden script waiting to be debunked

hanzsomehanz 09-19-2012 09:22 AM

Absolutely! I say that in response to the title of the thread. Great work man on providing this evidence - this will minimize the amount of tweaking we do directly with the skill sliders!

footballfan41 09-19-2012 09:26 AM

So where are u saying to set all the sliders in that group at??? 50???

hanzsomehanz 09-19-2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footballfan41 (Post 2044193233)
So where are u saying to set all the sliders in that group at??? 50???

He's saying to default Everything and work with the penalty sliders alone and see the effect they produce! C'mon man.. it was the first thing he said..

Quote:

Originally Posted by darrenp1518
First off i want to preface this by saying that to truly be able to test this out you have to set all the penalties to the default setting and adjust each one while leaving the others at 50 so that you can see the affect it has. This is important because certain penalty sliders have a counter effect on each other.

He included some initial findings and now you and others can lab the experience. Start a clean slate and see how much Gameplay improvements you get by altering the Penalties alone.

Getting the penalties right will keep the game skill sets as close to default as possible and save a lot of tax time on the skill set modifications.

It's a revelation for myself. I never considered taking down a penalty slider unless I saw it was being exploited. He's opened our eyes. It's a very meaningful thread, mate.