Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Operation Sports Content and Other News (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   Sports Gaming on the Wii-U (/forums/showthread.php?t=580492)

RaychelSnr 09-25-2012 11:51 AM

Sports Gaming on the Wii-U

I was in college when I first bought a console with my own hard-earned cash: the very popular (at the time) Nintendo 64. And while I could show off Goldeneye 64 to my dormmates with a Playstation, they typically made fun of my sports game options.

For a number of reasons, recent Nintendo consoles haven’t been the best platforms for sports gaming. For every exclusive gem (Home Run King, Wii Sports, Power Pros), there’s a bad port or worse: an empty space on the shelf.

With the Wii U now priced and dated, here’s a quick look at how Nintendo’s new offering is shaping up for sports gamers.

Read More - Sports Gaming on the Wii-U

Gramps91 09-25-2012 12:25 PM

I'm a big nintendo guy, but this is the thing I always had against them. Up until the Wii I was full fledged nintendo. What got me angry though was the fact that the Gamecube only had 2k2 and 2k3 after that 2k stopped making games for Gamecube. What was even worse was that there was no college bball games on the gamecube with the exception of 2k3, which is so rare that in all my years of gaming I've never actually seen a gamecube copy with my own eyes. Eventually I just had to get a ps2 and didn't even bother with a Wii, I got a Ps3 instead. My sister though got a Wii so I play hers.

Nintendo makes great games(especially the Zelda series) and I still find myself playing gamecube games or wii games on my sister's Wii. But for the love of mankind, Nintendo start focusing more on your sports titles.

I'm waiting on getting a Wii U as well. Don't know when I'll get around to buying one.

Sotendo 09-25-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaterofworlds888 (Post 2044221016)
I'm a big nintendo guy, but this is the thing I always had against them. Up until the Wii I was full fledged nintendo. What got me angry though was the fact that the Gamecube only had 2k2 and 2k3 after that 2k stopped making games for Gamecube. What was even worse was that there was no college bball games on the gamecube with the exception of 2k3, which is so rare that in all my years of gaming I've never actually seen a gamecube copy with my own eyes. Eventually I just had to get a ps2 and didn't even bother with a Wii, I got a Ps3 instead. My sister though got a Wii so I play hers.

Nintendo makes great games(especially the Zelda series) and I still find myself playing gamecube games or wii games on my sister's Wii. But for the love of mankind, Nintendo start focusing more on your sports titles.

I'm waiting on getting a Wii U as well. Don't know when I'll get around to buying one.

Nintendo's first party games/exclusive games are the only reasons why I ever wanted a gamecube or Wii.

Well I wanted a Wii since I could play gamecube games and accessories and try out motion controls.

Money99 09-25-2012 04:38 PM

Re: Sports Gaming on the Wii-U

I wonder how much better the Wii (or Wii U) would do if they weren't so far behind in the graphical race compared to MS and Sony.

Wii U games are looking nice, but they're not that much of an improvement over the current 360 and PS3.
Now if it boasted power like the 720 and PS4 are rumored to have, I think they could do a lot better.

Does the Wii U even play DVD's or BR discs?
It may be different in Canada vs the US, but over here, streaming isn't nearly as prevalent so most movie watchers still rely heavily on physical formats. Having BR functionality would go a long way for a consumer like me.

Profit89 09-25-2012 05:58 PM

What a bizarre launch by Nintendo. A PR nightmare IMO.

bigsmallwood 09-25-2012 11:35 PM

I hope that Wii U ends up with all sports titles College and Pro. Looking forward to launch!

rudenwoydreamin 09-25-2012 11:42 PM

as an avid nintendo fan some of the responses to this blog leave me baffled. Statements like PR nightmare and Mentions of PS4 and Xbox 720 always gets me, I really wonder how much better do people think video game graphics are gonna get the only way to move gaming forward is to innovate. And Nintendo does this very well and are very profitable because of it. I guarantee anything coming from sony or microsoft will be a blatant rip off at what nintendo is doing with Wii U. As far as sporting is concerned it depends on how far devs wanna take it. Wii U will improve upon any and all sports genres with its innovative controller. If Nintendo inks something with rockstar for GTA combined with the current launch schedule which I think to be the best in video game history Wii U is already a success.

BrettMadden 09-26-2012 11:49 PM

I think it's wise to stay away from most annual sports' titles when they appear on a new console. Remember the 360 version of Madden 06? I rest my case your Honor ;) I enjoy various sports' franchises on all 3 current generation consoles. The Wii may not host those sough after HD titles however niche games like MLB Power Pros was a fantastic series, even Pro Evolution Soccer made nice use of gesture gaming adding more of a moving chess game to the digital pitch.

Personally I think 13 may be the last titles I buy for all 3 systems. If the Wii U launches without incident I am confident quality games will emerge. I mean they are set to release a console combined with a controller-tablet interface. Even the small nooks you see in FIFA 13 for the Wii U look very interesting to say the least.