Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Does age play a roll in how well you enjoy Madden 13? (/forums/showthread.php?t=589291)

GoBlue! 11-02-2012 02:35 PM

Does age play a roll in how well you enjoy Madden 13?

I guess this really is a question for ANY sports game but does age play a factor in what you are willing to over look etc.? I see folks getting all worked up about small uniform errors (not big ones like orange pants) for example the helmet bumpers being wrong and saying it makes the game unplayable? Or "super LBs" making it not worth buying.

Really? I mean back in the day we played with players that looked like cartoons (RBI Baseball) and were happy if we held the blocky looking Bo Jackson to under 400 yards against our best friend. (Tecmo Bowl)

I personally am loving this version of Madden. Is it just a matter of what you grew up with. The reality based gaming vs. my generation where our goal was to beat the other team by triple digits and then try to do it again?

DirrtySouth78 11-02-2012 03:10 PM

Re: Does age play a roll in how well you enjoy Madden 13?

I agree. Yes there are some quirky things that pop up but those of us that have played games for awhile seem to be able to let it slide alot easier than those that didn't.

Yes they can be a lil irritating when it happens at the wrong moment, but just kinda say "Ah well" something going wrong in a video game will not ruin my day. Some people just seem to look for something to find to complain about.

Yes the game does have some glaring issues at times, but ya just learn to let it to. Alot of gamers have been spoiled in this day and age. "OMG, the refs stripes are off, They better fix it with a patch or this game is garbage" I reember time where there were no patches. Games were as is, broken or not.

Not every game is going to be perfect, just way it is. If you read reviews online about people complaining about an issue, then buy game anyways and said issue happens well ya knew about it beforehand so why bitch?

Or you've been dissapointed by a product for years, why keep buying it only to be dissapointed again?

Not saying Madden 13 is perrfect or doesn't need impovement, but for me it is entertainment and I enjoy it. Thats all that matters to me

warchild511 11-02-2012 03:15 PM

I don't know if it's an age-specific thing, really. I enjoyed the early games for what they were, but I was glad the the subsequent games moved more towards realism. I figured my complaints about the various games were specific to me. For example: I'm an NFL history geek. I don't wanna see some fifth receiver wearing #19 for the Colts. A lot of people have complaints about the online aspects of the game. As the only football fan in my family, I never played head-to-head against other people, let alone online, so online aspects are not a big concern. The sixteen-year-old me loved Tecmo Bowl, and the thirty-nine-year-old me loves Madden 13. I must admit, the super LBs irk me, though. :whitsmile

brandon27 11-02-2012 03:28 PM

I definitely think it is.

Younger generations now are ... well to put it nicely... spoiled. We've become a very demanding society. Which makes sense really. If we fork out the kind of cash we do for these games, you want it to be worth it. However, everyone seems to have the opinion that it needs to be 100% perfect to THEIR needs. It has to be what they want, do what they want, look like they want it to, and if it doesn't, it sucks, they want their money back, and they want to file a class action lawsuit now it seems.

Hell, I remember playing Madden in the early 90's. I remember Joe Montana Sports Talk Football for sega. You want to talk jaggies? hahaha Your players were literally walking jaggies. Nobody complained then.

We're just all spoiled now. That's really the bottom line to me. Nobody can just enjoy it for what it is... a video game. An entertainment experience. If you aren't entertained, trade it in, sell it, or just... don't buy it. Rent it first. Don't complain about little tiny issues, because really, at the end of the day... nobody cares.

I find with myself, personally, I enjoy the game. I don't notice alot of the little flaws that people complain about until i come here and read about all the complaints. Some may say its because I'm a casual gamer, or I'm not "sim". However... I don't agree with that. It's neither of those. The fact of the matter is, im old enough, and mature enough (in my opinion lol) to realize that at the end of the day, its just a video game. If I wanted real football, I'd go out and play it. Or watch it on TV. Clearly when I'm playing Madden, or NHL, or Tiger Woods I want to be lazy, and sit on my couch with a beer and just... kill time by entertaining myself with a video game. There's two distinct worlds we're talking about here, one is the video game, the other is real life. Theyre only connected by doing one, in the other. That's it. The video game isnt real life. Madden isnt real life football. It's video game football. The sooner people realize that difference, and that it's never going to be 100% accurate in a video game, the better off everyone will be.

Sports are unpredictable, always. you can't script that into a game. However it seems that's what people want. It's definitely age based IMO. Nowadays, people expect it. Before we just enjoyed it for what its worth. Nobody in the younger generation IMO enjoys anything for what its worth. There's always something to complain about, something thats not good enough...
It's definitely

chickenhed 11-02-2012 03:33 PM

Young punks! Get off my lawn! *shakes fist

In all seriousness, I agree. I think that is the case in ALL things in life. Perspective, in my humble opinion, is one of the most important things in the world to have. Without it, you appreciate very little and feel consistently unfulfilled. Those have been close to death, appreciate life more. Those that have gone through tough times, look at challenges with more confidence, etc.

And of course, those of us who grew up with Techmo Super Bowl and Madden 92 (oh the memories) would likely look past the cosmetic problems (and other nagging things) that are in Madden 13.

Perspective is everything.

californ14 11-02-2012 03:41 PM

I believe it has a lot to do with what people believe or know a sports game is capable of being at the current time, compared to what they are getting....Madden series has failed to meet what it is capable of in comparison to what other games, can do currently and previously....Add in the exclusive rights deals and people get tired of the half-arsed performance....

NYwRiter94 11-02-2012 05:01 PM

I think it sorts people very generally, but there are obviously many exceptions and I don't think age automatically plays an inherent role. I'm 17 and I expect a high level of realism from my games. However, I understand that at the end of the day, they have to create (from the ground up) a digital representation of natural, real-life processes that are incredibly difficult to reproduce. I've begun basic computer programming and I understand how difficult it is to simply display a line of text on a screen, so I can only imagine how difficult it is to match the organic flow and physics-based complexities of Offensive/Defensive Line interaction.

At the end of the day, the game is what you make of it. I play CCM and put an emphasis on realism and I have a great time, as I have with every Madden I've bought in the past four years.

GoBlue! 11-02-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by californ14 (Post 2044390813)
I believe it has a lot to do with what people believe or know a sports game is capable of being at the current time, compared to what they are getting....Madden series has failed to meet what it is capable of in comparison to what other games, can do currently and previously....Add in the exclusive rights deals and people get tired of the half-arsed performance....

Like what? I can't think of a single game that doesn't have holes. NHL last year was awful, and while everyone LOVES the NBA 2K series and the Show they are hardly perfect. What games are you comparing Madden to that are so far supperior, cause I haven't played them.