Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   College Basketball Official Team Threads (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   Kentucky Wildcats 2012-2013 Thread (/forums/showthread.php?t=591613)

PhantomPain 11-17-2012 12:42 PM

Kentucky Wildcats 2012-2013 Thread

Figured it was time to get this going.

UK, these days, has a recurring theme of having a young team. This year is the youngest by far of Cal's UK teams. With that said, I am pretty pleased with the progression so far. There is still a lot of work to be done but overall they are starting to get it.

Poythress doesn't realize how good he can be yet but he is getting there and will be absolutely dominating if he figures it out. Goodwin is an elite athlete and once he learns to play fast but keep his mind slow, he will be dangerous. Wiltjer can straight up shoot but unfortunately he is not a very good defender. Good news for him is he will likely be back next year and hopefully get stronger. Noel has way more offense than I anticipated plus he is playing hard on every possession which is hard to teach (see Poythress). Harrow has health issues (flu) at the moment and will hopefully be back very soon. He isn't the PG that the other guys were but he can be good and definitely good enough. Cauley-Stein has a chance to be a very very good player. I am hoping he is back next year so he can continue to develop plus gives us some veteran presence.

UK will be more dangerous by the end of the year than people realize. While they are no where close to last year's teams, neither are any other teams outside of IU and UL and UL doesn't scare me in the slightest (definitely not at the end of the year).

They looked good last night but they were playing an absolutely nobody that was without their leading scorer. But that doesn't hinder a fan from seeing the progression on some of the players. Should be an interesting year.

Who leaves after this year?

Definitely Gone

Noel
Poythress
Goodwin
Mays
Beckham

Possibly Gone but not likely

Cauley-Stein
Wiltjer

Definitely Back

Harrow
Hood
Polson
Walk-ons

That's how I see it anyway.

Sportsforever 11-17-2012 12:45 PM

Re: Kentucky Wildcats 2012-2013 Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomPain (Post 2044440475)
Figured it was time to get this going.

UK, these days, has a recurring theme of having a young team. This year is the youngest by far of Cal's UK teams. With that said, I am pretty pleased with the progression so far. There is still a lot of work to be done but overall they are starting to get it.

Poythress doesn't realize how good he can be yet but he is getting there and will be absolutely dominating if he figures it out. Goodwin is an elite athlete and once he learns to play fast but keep his mind slow, he will be dangerous. Wiltjer can straight up shoot but unfortunately he is not a very good defender. Good news for him is he will likely be back next year and hopefully get stronger. Noel has way more offense than I anticipated plus he is playing hard on every possession which is hard to teach (see Poythress). Harrow has health issues (flu) at the moment and will hopefully be back very soon. He isn't the PG that the other guys were but he can be good and definitely good enough. Cauley-Stein has a chance to be a very very good player. I am hoping he is back next year so he can continue to develop plus gives us some veteran presence.

UK will be more dangerous by the end of the year than people realize. While they are no where close to last year's teams, neither are any other teams outside of IU and UL and UL doesn't scare me in the slightest (definitely not at the end of the year).

They looked good last night but they were playing an absolutely nobody that was without their leading scorer. But that doesn't hinder a fan from seeing the progression on some of the players. Should be an interesting year.

Who leaves after this year?

Definitely Gone

Noel
Poythress
Goodwin
Mays
Beckham

Possibly Gone but not likely

Cauley-Stein
Wiltjer

Definitely Back

Harrow
Hood
Polson
Walk-ons

That's how I see it anyway.

I honestly think UF is much better than last year. Replacing Walker really will help as he was liability...we'll see how it develops, but right now I like UF over UK.

PhantomPain 11-17-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sportsforever (Post 2044440481)
I honestly think UF is much better than last year. Replacing Walker really will help as he was liability...we'll see how it develops, but right now I like UF over UK.

UF may be better than last year but I still like UK's chances, at least by the time they actually play. With that said, UK has a lot of question marks that will need to be answered by the time and my comment is based on the premise that it happens. If they don't answer some of those questions before SEC games, it could be a long year for UK. But every game puts those worries a away a little more by seeing some of the progression with some of the players.

Let's just say I am cautiously optimistic :smile:

thefakeJTS 11-19-2012 05:36 PM

My first impressions of Alex Poythress during the game against Maryland were not that great. Over the last two games, Alex has definitely proved me wrong. He might be the guy that carries this team into the tournament with his ability to get to the rim at will.

It was also nice to have all five recruits for next season sign their LOI this early and at the same time. Calipari is a really special guy, recruiter, coach, etc. to do this year in and year out.

Nathan_OS 12-09-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefakeJTS (Post 2044448019)
My first impressions of Alex Poythress during the game against Maryland were not that great. Over the last two games, Alex has definitely proved me wrong. He might be the guy that carries this team into the tournament with his ability to get to the rim at will.

It was also nice to have all five recruits for next season sign their LOI this early and at the same time. Calipari is a really special guy, recruiter, coach, etc. to do this year in and year out.

Yeah Poythress has definitely impressed me with his ability to get to the rim. He could also hit the three sometimes.

Is this kid Goodwin good or not!? He gets to the cup anytime he wants to . He lives at the freethrow line.

Harrow is still a big question mark to me.I feel if the opposing team puts a bigger guard on him, it'll be a problem.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

thefakeJTS 12-09-2012 11:02 PM

A win over Louisville is a must right now for the tournament resume. 1-3 record against possible tournament teams isn't going to cut it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

redsrule 12-09-2012 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefakeJTS (Post 2044513765)
A win over Louisville is a must right now for the tournament resume. 1-3 record against possible tournament teams isn't going to cut it.

They aren't going to miss the tourney, lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan_OS (Post 2044513468)
Yeah Poythress has definitely impressed me with his ability to get to the rim. He could also hit the three sometimes.

Is this kid Goodwin good or not!? He gets to the cup anytime he wants to . He lives at the freethrow line.

Harrow is still a big question mark to me.I feel if the opposing team puts a bigger guard on him, it'll be a problem.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Poyrhess, behind Noel has the most potential on the team imo. He reminds me a lot of MKG on what he could bring to the table if he can put it all together, maybe not the defensive package, but he hustles a ton and can hit some shots.

Goodwin is an excellent driver, but it seems when he drives he tries to get the foul call, he doesn't drive to finish.

thefakeJTS 12-10-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redsrule (Post 2044513891)
They aren't going to miss the tourney, lol.

Poyrhess, behind Noel has the most potential on the team imo. He reminds me a lot of MKG on what he could bring to the table if he can put it all together, maybe not the defensive package, but he hustles a ton and can hit some shots.

Goodwin is an excellent driver, but it seems when he drives he tries to get the foul call, he doesn't drive to finish.

I didn't say that The Cats were gonna miss tournament. I said a win over Louisville is needed for the resume if this team is going to land a good seed in March.