Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   wr overalls (/forums/showthread.php?t=594969)

blocknose 12-11-2012 02:51 PM

wr overalls

Has anyone else noticed that if you have a wr under 65 ovr the computer will not cover him no matter how many times he has caught the ball during the year

Old School SD Fan 12-11-2012 03:44 PM

Re: wr overalls

Quote:

Originally Posted by blocknose (Post 2044518577)
Has anyone else noticed that if you have a wr under 65 ovr the computer will not cover him no matter how many times he has caught the ball during the year

Why in the world would I allow a 65 slug WR on my roster anyway? So of course, I wouldn't know. :y6:

purplerat 12-11-2012 05:14 PM

I've never seen this to be the case and I've played some very lowly rated WRs as well as some completely out of position (i.e. offensive tackles) players at WR. The only explanation I can think of as to why you might see this happening is if you are playing a low rated WR as the 4th or 5th receiver and he's being covered by a LB.

Many low rated WRs are actually very effective if used correctly and just lack balance resulting in a low OVR rating. For if you have a guy with great speed, acceleration, release and/or spec catch but piss poor everything else he can still be a very effective deep threat even though his OVR is in the 60s.

Arrow218 12-11-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old School SD Fan (Post 2044518739)
Why in the world would I allow a 65 slug WR on my roster anyway? So of course, I wouldn't know. :y6:

If he's 6'7 with 99 speed and acc and 80 catch but he has 5 awareness.

CloudFuel 12-12-2012 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrow218 (Post 2044519516)
If he's 6'7 with 99 speed and acc and 80 catch but he has 5 awareness.

LOL! Exactly.

DrDoctor 12-12-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old School SD Fan (Post 2044518739)

I find this mentality of putting so much stock in OVR hilarious. OVR means nothing.

I just won ROTY with a 66OVR WR in my online CCM. In fact, he was in the running for MVP. He had piss poor AWR, but great speed and elusiveness, and I was able to develop his catching skills to be solid over the course of the season. He was constantly able to get behind coverage and make big plays, despite being a "slug". :wink:

purplerat 12-12-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDoctor (Post 2044521031)
I find this mentality of putting so much stock in OVR hilarious. OVR means nothing.

I just won ROTY with a 66OVR WR in my online CCM. In fact, he was in the running for MVP. He had piss poor AWR, but great speed and elusiveness, and I was able to develop his catching skills to be solid over the course of the season. He was constantly able to get behind coverage and make big plays, despite being a "slug". :wink:

Exactly. In my Online CCM I broke every single game and single season receiving record with a sub-70 WR. Great speed and acceleration + high spec catch = lots of big plays.

blocknose 12-12-2012 11:13 AM

exactly overall is a pointless rating that is used for beginners to make easy roster moves. I would say 50% of the overall is coming from the awareness rating. For wr this awareness will only effect if he choses the correct route for option routes.