Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Few questions, regarding schemes, types, development (/forums/showthread.php?t=595107)

49ers510 12-12-2012 12:20 PM

Few questions, regarding schemes, types, development

ok i have used the search feature, so if that is all you came in to say then please do not bother.

I want to start a ccm, creat my coach and have a 3-4 attacking defense, and power run offense. So when i scout/draft players do i have to pick players that just fit those schemes in order to get the best overall ratings?

Usually i just draft the best player available, For example, a CB that is made for a 4-3 has better ratings than a cb that is made for a 3-4 defense. Do i pick the 3-4 CB because he fits my scheme?

Also with Development, why does development matter, if you just use xp to make your players better? If a player has superstar development does that just make him earn more xp?

From what i read the schemes dont really matter on the field, as the players will play to their ratings, so i just want to clarify if the schemes matter or just go for best player available

vicaddict 12-12-2012 12:30 PM

Re: Few questions, regarding schemes, types, development

Development actually makes your players earn more XP than players with a lower dev. level. Quite simple.

As far as the schemes go... I believe that some people believe that the player earns extra XP if he fits your scheme. However, I never experienced something like that and nobody every gave proof. I believe that it really doesn't matter. If it would matter, there would be O-linemen with the vertical scheme, etc. Its like 60% of all QBs are balanced, 80% of all linemen are balanced, which would clearly favour these schemes. Since I never encountered players that have those schemes, I think it doesn't matter.

I thought that scheme would somehow influence CPU teams when it comes to FA signing or drafting, signing only Power Run players, if they run a Power Run offense. This doesn't happen. They sign the best player available.

So basically I have no clue whatsoever, what schemes do und why they are in the game in the first place. They would be a great addition to the game, preventing you from signing the best player available, but well...

I tend to sign only fitting players none the less. Its kind of a restriction, making the team building process a bit more difficult.

RogueHominid 12-12-2012 08:56 PM

One small bit of advice when putting the full roster together and assessing OVR rankings:

When you set your positional preference, like "Possession" for WR, your WHOLE WR corps will be determined by their strengths in "Possession" categories. When you build a team, though, you obviously want a guy or two who can stretch the field, though they may not be the best route runners or have the best hands. With your positional preference set to "Possession," those guys will be rated low, but you still need them.

So I'd say the best approach regarding player types is to fill your roster with a set number of guys who fit the mold, but make sure you have guys with other skill sets that you'll need to use.

nolan887 12-12-2012 10:51 PM

Positional schemes for your coach also dictate what your players yearly milestone goals are. I.e. Big Mauler milestones might be 25 rushing TDs while pass blocking linemen might be 4000 passing yards.

Pielet 12-12-2012 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMP (Post 2044522624)
One small bit of advice when putting the full roster together and assessing OVR rankings:

When you set your positional preference, like "Possession" for WR, your WHOLE WR corps will be determined by their strengths in "Possession" categories. When you build a team, though, you obviously want a guy or two who can stretch the field, though they may not be the best route runners or have the best hands. With your positional preference set to "Possession," those guys will be rated low, but you still need them.

So I'd say the best approach regarding player types is to fill your roster with a set number of guys who fit the mold, but make sure you have guys with other skill sets that you'll need to use.

So WR1 scheme controls depth chart 1
WR2 controls depth chart 2

What controls the slot and farther down?

Old School SD Fan 12-13-2012 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pielet (Post 2044523102)

Nothing. And as far as I can tell the #2 settings don't work.

Also IMHO schemes are meaningless, only styles affect player overalls, and oddly, matching styles between your schemes and starters doesn't always produce the highest overall. I've had pocket passers whose overalls were highest if I set scheme style to field general for example.

Me, I draft best available for most positions then adjust scheme style to match. Certain positions like WR that can be tricky. For example I have two red zone threat starters with scheme style set to match to max them out but a speed guy in the slot. His overall is not optimal since he doesn't match but still solid.

vicaddict 12-13-2012 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolan887 (Post 2044522964)
Positional schemes for your coach also dictate what your players yearly milestone goals are. I.e. Big Mauler milestones might be 25 rushing TDs while pass blocking linemen might be 4000 passing yards.

Are you sure about that? If so, is there a list where I can see what style/player role triggers what goal and when are the goals triggered? You could change the styles to achievable goals and then change them back as soon as they are locked in.

I have the feeling that WR are always going for 110 catches, so do TE's and the only positions that have different goals are HB's and OL, either going for yards or TDs.

RogueHominid 12-13-2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pielet (Post 2044523102)

Yes. You can tell that this is the case by choosing, say "Power Back" as your HB setting. Given that I use the Raiders, McFadden drops to an 82, so he does have some power, but otherwise good HBs like Goodson drop into the 60s (from the high 70s). Conversely, if you go "Speed Back," then McFadden, Goodson, and Jones will be reasonably rated and Jeremy Stewart, who actually plays pretty well in the game, will be rated in the 50s.

It's a weird system in that regard, so you just gotta know how it works and make sure you have guys with important skill sets that don't fit the designed parameters perfectly. You want a "Possession" guy in your WR corps even though you might have the overall preference for "Speed," etc.