Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB The Show Last Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Online Pass for MLB 13 The Show (/forums/showthread.php?t=602857)

Bluejaysfan65 01-31-2013 06:01 PM

Online Pass for MLB 13 The Show

Does anyone know if they will bring back the online pass this year or if they will leave it like the previous years. I think (if not sure) that MLB 11 The Show didn't required the online pass, but I could be wrong...

MrOldboy 01-31-2013 06:12 PM

Re: Online Pass for MLB 13 The Show

I don't see why not. Seems to have become standard practice the last few years for a wide variety of games and publishers. I don't remember there being any great backlash against it when The Show did it.

Cezar24 01-31-2013 07:47 PM

I believe all Sony first party games have online passes now.

TheBleedingRed21 01-31-2013 08:10 PM

Bet your bottom dollar on it.

OriolesFanRD 01-31-2013 08:42 PM

Such a shame, too. I'm penalized for buying the game at retail. It's a freakin' joke. But The Show is a great game overall which is why they get my support monetarily.

DJ 01-31-2013 08:45 PM

Hopefully the Vita pass works better than last year. I had a heck of a time getting it to work.

Number2DJ 01-31-2013 08:47 PM

I was thinking about waiting and buying '13 used for cheaper, but after seeing the changes and improvements I'll certainly be buying it on the 5th.

I hate the whole online pass gimmick.

m1ke_nyc 01-31-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OriolesFanRD (Post 2044673144)
Such a shame, too. I'm penalized for buying the game at retail. It's a freakin' joke. But The Show is a great game overall which is why they get my support monetarily.

If you buy the game brand new it comes with the online pass. So how are you penalized ?

edwing 01-31-2013 08:52 PM

I don't know what this exactly means, but in the game description on Gamestop's site it says: "Play with friends around the world at no extra cost on PlayStation Network."

bcruise 01-31-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamaballa (Post 2044673176)
I don't know what this exactly means, but in the game description on Gamestop's site it says: "Play with friends around the world at no extra cost on PlayStation Network."

It means buy it new from them (or any other retailer) and you get a free online pass. Like it always has.

edwing 01-31-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcruise (Post 2044673184)
It means buy it new from them (or any other retailer) and you get a free online pass. Like it always has.

Ah that's what I thought as well. Don't know why that would be advertised as a feature then, especially since I don't think they change the descriptions for pre-owned games.

MrOldboy 02-01-2013 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamaballa (Post 2044673207)
Ah that's what I thought as well. Don't know why that would be advertised as a feature then, especially since I don't think they change the descriptions for pre-owned games.

Here in CA Gamestop actually agreed to advertise (although in practice this has been hard to find in store from my experience, but I have seen it and I did see ONE clerk mention the online pass to a customer) that games bought used that require online passes or came with similar buy-it-new DLC may not have the code be present or that it may be used.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/game...gs-used-games/

I'm unsure if it ever got rolled out to more states.

Azamien 02-01-2013 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamaballa (Post 2044673207)

That's actually an advertisement for PSN, not the game. Sony likes to put it on their games to point out the fact that you'd have to pay extra to do the same thing on XBox.

OriolesFanRD 02-02-2013 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratedmoney (Post 2044673160)
If you buy the game brand new it comes with the online pass. So how are you penalized ?

Because if I wanted to take the game over a friends/family/significant friend with benefits house I wouldn't be able to go online unless I loaded my PSN onto their system. But I already have my PSN loaded on 2 PS3's, so now I gotta deactivate one of said systems to activate on another. See where I'm going with this?

Or for the simple fact if I have another PSN account that I use and pay for things online with, I can't use the item I purchase because the game only recognize the pass for the first name I registered on. That's how I'm penalized. Because back in the day I didn't have to deal with this absurd nonsense.

The consumers are losers in this situation. And if anyone told you otherwise they're in denial or Corporate Apologist.

MrOldboy 02-02-2013 12:59 AM

But you have to look at it from both perspectives.

Sure the online pass is a hassle, so is on disc DLC or buy-it-new content (i.e. Batman Arkham City). So are preorder bonuses for that matter too. But it is all in place for one reason, maximizing profitability of the product.

They allow for a greater profit to be made for publishers and game makers, which is why I assume this has become almost a standard. This profit theoretically gets put back into the games the publisher makes. In this case possibly MLB 14. I won't say that the online pass really results in more revenue because I have no idea if it does, but there is a reason that this has been occurring at a higher frequency. The publishers have numbers and they use them. If they thought they were losing sales, would they continue to utilize them?

You cannot help that people buy the game used, so you feel that you are being punished for buying it new. But with every copy that is bought new instead of used, perhaps some of that revenue gets put back into SCEA and subsequently SDS. People will still buy the game used, sure, but I wonder what the numbers are from a place like Gamestop if you compare the years before The Show had an online pass and then after they introduced it.

FreezeTime 02-02-2013 03:42 AM

This is a Sony mandate. SCEA has no control over it.

For those complaining, just imagine if the rumors are true about only being able to play a game on the original system the game was first played. That's WAY worse than not being able to play a game online at a friends house. You'll have to lug your PS3 to his house to play The Show.

Cubfan 02-02-2013 06:01 AM

Still i buy the game new why should have to enter a code for online play. I bought it new stop hiding stuff behind codes.

nemesis04 02-02-2013 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cubfan (Post 2044676890)
Still i buy the game new why should have to enter a code for online play. I bought it new stop hiding stuff behind codes.

It is the only way currently to really differentiate between buying new or used.

MrOldboy 02-02-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cubfan (Post 2044676890)

Well maybe in the future there will be tech in the discs themselves to facilitate that. It was one of the rumors about the next consoles that thankfully died off a bit. Hell Sony wanted to basically do this on the PS3, but the backlash was so heavy when it got talked about that they didn't do it. I think there are multiple patents floating around that indicate the console makers are trying to do this in the future, I pray not this console cycle though.

CubsHOF 02-02-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OriolesFanRD (Post 2044676629)
Because if I wanted to take the game over a friends/family/significant friend with benefits house I wouldn't be able to go online unless I loaded my PSN onto their system. But I already have my PSN loaded on 2 PS3's, so now I gotta deactivate one of said systems to activate on another. See where I'm going with this?

Or for the simple fact if I have another PSN account that I use and pay for things online with, I can't use the item I purchase because the game only recognize the pass for the first name I registered on. That's how I'm penalized. Because back in the day I didn't have to deal with this absurd nonsense.

The consumers are losers in this situation. And if anyone told you otherwise they're in denial or Corporate Apologist.

I agree with you here completely. For me the biggest hassle is not being able to switch PSN accounts. It should at least be an online pass system wide for the system it was enabled on. Now at least on the PS4 you will be able to bring your online account anywhere, some progress at least.

Thinger 02-14-2013 08:50 AM

It's a short-sighted shrewd business practice.

We the gamers/consumers let them get away with it.

Sites like this one (community driven) should be up in arms about stuff like this. New precedents are being set (ones that are unfavorable to us the gamers/consumers) at an alarming rate.

I hate that this industry has been completely taken over by fortune 500 executives.

CWSJ 02-14-2013 09:00 AM

The online pass is system wide..for MLB the show 12 I played on two separate accounts on same system CWSJ and EBZ-CWSJ..

It's like that for me with all games that require online pass

I dunno about on another console though as I've never tried to do that

stimperley 03-09-2013 08:28 PM

Does anyone know if I buy the download verison that the online pass comes with it? I've tried to find this info but no luck so far. thanks

ROABS 03-09-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stimperley (Post 2044794387)
Does anyone know if I buy the download verison that the online pass comes with it? I've tried to find this info but no luck so far. thanks

im pretty sure it does come with the code as a download. i read on the pre-release(download) thread other members spoke of having it as a download along with the game.

crizolli 03-10-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stimperley (Post 2044794387)

Yes, there's an Online Pass download included with the copy.

inkcil 03-18-2013 08:54 PM

Is the online pass required to access challenges of the week, the show live and roster vault? Or is the online pass just for playing online games vs. other users?

shaneomac 03-18-2013 08:57 PM

If I use the pass that came with the game will I be able to use it more than once? Thanks to those who answer