Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Understanding the slot receiver (/forums/showthread.php?t=619992)

tarek 04-09-2013 11:18 PM

Understanding the slot receiver

I'll prefix this by saying i'm still a novice when it comes to american football and the NFL in general. However, I LOVE the sport and have really started to love this version (13) of Madden!

So, how do you correctly use a slot receiver? What type of player should be in the slot typically?

I figure that whoever you put as 3rd on your WR depth chart will be your slot reciever. Correct?

I also think (although I really have no idea) that a tall guy in the slot is better than a short guy. Yes?

So right now I have Jacoby Jones 6'2'' and pretty speedy or Ramses Barden 6'6'' pretty slow but can catch the ball. I would never put Barden out wide, but would he be a great slot guy? Would it be worth investing the time with him whilst keeping Jones as a return guy and eventually replace him?

Any other tips on what the pros and cons of a slot guy are please chime in.

Cheers.

moveitsjosh 04-11-2013 11:07 AM

Re: Understanding the slot receiver

Ideally, you are looking for a route runner in the slot. Somebody that is "fast" but can run routes and make him look faster. This is why Welker is abusive in the slot. I see Jones as more of a #2 while Barden is more of a #2/4. Whoever has the best Route Running should probably go, but say Jones has 80 RR and Barden has 83, I would probably go with Jones.

tarek 04-12-2013 01:14 AM

Thanks for the reply. I also read that catch in traffic is a good attribute for a slot guy too.
I didn't think speed was that much of a factor since I always thought the slot guy would be matched up on the 3rd best CB or possibly an OLB in a zone type coverage.

Does height play a factor? As Barden is a massive target and Jones is a good bit shorter.

ZAN 04-12-2013 04:37 PM

You would actually probably fare better with Ramses Barden on the outside. His 6'6" frame combined with excellent leaping ability and decent catch in traffic actually makes him one of the more slept on WRs in Madden. He's not a great route runner so using him on more vertical patterns where he can be physical with the DB off the press and outleap them for the ball is where you're beat suited to utilize him.

I think of Jacoby Jones as a slot guy, but not so much in the way I think of a Wes Welker or Danny Amendola. Jones in the slot will earn OLB or SS if they are in man coverage, and he has the top end speed to burn off of play action. He's another vertical threat, essentially.

OriginalGamer13 04-16-2013 03:46 AM

IMHO, your slot receiver has to be extreme in one way or another. Blazing speed or top notch catch, catch in traffic & route running. I personally prefer a route runner who doesn't drop the ball to a slot WR with speed but can't help you pick up that crucial 3rd & short.

ajra21 10-08-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OriginalGamer13 (Post 2044924045)
IMHO, your slot receiver has to be extreme in one way or another. Blazing speed or top notch catch, catch in traffic & route running. I personally prefer a route runner who doesn't drop the ball to a slot WR with speed but can't help you pick up that crucial 3rd & short.

Agreed. RR and CIT are vital, with a high REL factor helping too

IlluminatusUIUC 10-10-2013 03:16 PM

The traditional slot WR is going to be running routes to the sticks or in the middle of the field so you want a guy who will hold the ball when he gets hit. In Madden, because of the prevalence of Cover 3, a slot guy on a go route is one of your best downfield weapons so you can also use a burner there.