Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   College Athletes Are More Than a Number, Why We Need to Understand That (/forums/showthread.php?t=621685)

RaychelSnr 04-15-2013 11:14 AM

College Athletes Are More Than a Number, Why We Need to Understand That

Our friend and Press Row Podcast member Owen Good posted a great article over the weekend harping on EA's stunning admission of guilt of using real players in their NCAA game:

Quote:

"So I had to laugh when, in response to Ed O'Bannon's notorious lawsuit against the NCAA, Electronic Arts this week filed an "expert study" saying that fewer than 25 percent of football and men's basketball players are identifiable in video games they have published. That's bull****, and it has been from day one.

Electronic Arts' own communications with the College Licensing Company admit that the games are coded and balanced with real-life rosters, and real life players on them. The "study" is not scientific, it is testimony in a civil action, which is to say it is necessarily self-serving. It was entered into the record to limit the size of the potential class action against EA and the NCAA, and/or the scope of the damages—or settlement—the publisher would pay if the players prevail."

The decision on class-action in this case will be made in June -- which will be followed by what is almost certainly going to be a lengthy court process, one which will possibly go all the way to the Supreme Court. We could still be several years to a resolution.

Irishwhiskey119 04-15-2013 11:27 AM

O'Bannon and that no talent douche are probably going to hell.

Gramps91 04-15-2013 11:50 AM

I say just screw it and make college games anyway O'bannon is the only one I've ever heard complain and now thousands of sports gamers like myself are suffering from no college basketball games

Segagendude 04-15-2013 11:52 AM

Re: College Athletes Are More Than a Number, Why We Need to Understand That

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"~Iron Maiden

CM Hooe 04-15-2013 12:26 PM

Per usual, Owen Good nails it.

EDIT: for some reason the topic post doesn't link to the Kotaku article in question.

footballfan41 04-15-2013 01:10 PM

it don't matter, it's NOT EA that says NCAA players can't make no money, So lets not blame EA for all this,...Blame NCAA for it, far as i would say Shame on them, n EA keep making the games as you always have,..I think it's all B.S anyway..ONLY reason EA is getting Hammer over this is cause they have All the MONEY!!!!!!!!

Bolt957 04-15-2013 01:34 PM

^This, I agree. If their gonna go after anyone, it should be the NCAA, not EA. They just make the video game, but without the NCAA, it isn't possible. Blame NCAA, not EA.

mestevo 04-15-2013 02:06 PM

EA is the one using their likeness, violating their right of publicity, not the NCAA.