Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Baseball Dynasties (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=188)
-   -   The Friendly Confines: A Chicago Cubs Franchise (MLB 13 The Show) (/forums/showthread.php?t=622069)

k_mac 04-16-2013 05:14 PM

The Friendly Confines: A Chicago Cubs Franchise (MLB 13 The Show)

Welcome to The Friendly Confines, my Chicago Cubs franchise. After sharing my Cubs franchise last year, playing one and not posting about it felt odd. Even though my franchise last year didn't last as long as I had first imagined, I still had a great time doing it. So, I've decided to give it another try, and start up this thread.

I plan on playing at least one game per week, and simulating the rest. There's no way that I'm playing 162. I may play one game per series, or go for some matchups, but I will not be playing every game. I will also be skipping spring training to get this going quickly.

I will be using the 30 team control, because I've seen countless trades by the computer that will just leave you scratching your head. Those kind of things are an annoyance, so I'm giving this a try. It's my first time, so bear with me. All trades will be as close to realistic as possible. I don't want to get too out of hand.

Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you enjoy my journey of bringing a championship back to the North Side of Chicago.

k_mac 04-16-2013 05:44 PM

Re: The Friendly Confines: A Chicago Cubs Franchise (MLB 13 The Show)

<html><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8"><link href="http://dynasties.operationsports.com/css/depth_chart.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"></head><body><div id="depthchart"><div class="teamheader" style="background:#0F4871;">Chicago Cubs Depth Chart - 2013</div><div class="depthchart"><div id="catcher"><ul><li class="title">Catcher</li><li class="odd"><b>Welington Castillo</b></li></ul></div><div id="first_base"><ul><li class="title">First Base</li><li class="odd"><b>Anthony Rizzo</b></li></ul></div><div id="second_base"><ul><li class="title">Second Base</li><li class="odd"><b>Darwin Barney</b></li><li class="even">Luis Valbuena </li></ul></div><div id="third_base"><ul><li class="title">Third Base</li><li class="odd"><b>Ian Stewart</b></li></ul></div><div id="shortstop"><ul><li class="title">Shortstop</li><li class="odd"><b>Starlin Castro </b></li></ul></div><div id="left_field"><ul><li class="title">Left Field</li><li class="odd"><b>Alfonso Soriano</b></li></ul></div><div id="center_field"><ul><li class="title">Center Field</li><li class="odd"><b>David DeJesus</b></li><li class="even">Dave Sappelt </li></ul></div><div id="right_field"><ul><li class="title">Right Field</li><li class="odd"><b>Scott Hairston</b></li><li class="even">Nate Schierholtz</li></ul></div><div id="rightcol"><ul style="margin-bottom:5px;"><li class="title">Starting Pitcher</li><li class="odd"><b>Jeff Samardzija</b></li><li class="even">Matt Garza</li><li class="odd">Edwin Jackson</li><li class="even">Travis Wood</li><li class="odd">Carlos Villanueva</li></ul><ul style="margin-bottom:5px;"><li class="title">Relief Pitcher</li><li class="odd"><b>James Russell </b></li><li class="even">Kyuji Fujikawa</li><li class="odd">Scott Feldman</li><li class="even">Hisanori Takahashi</li><li class="odd">Shawn Camp</li><li class="even">Michael Bowden</li></ul><ul><li class="title">Closer</li><li class="odd"><b>Carlos Marmol</b></li></ul></div><div id="leftcol"><ul style="margin-bottom:5px;"><li class="title">Disabled List</li><li class="odd">Scott Baker</li></ul></div></div></div></body></html>

This is what the MLB roster looks like, after I sent all the young guys down after spring training. As of right now, Scott Baker is on the DL, just as he is in real life. He's rehabbing his throwing elbow, and will be out an extended period of time. Other than that, I don't plan on shaking the roster up that much, as I plan on continuing the Cubs rebuilding efforts. With that said, trades this year won't be focused on helping the team immediately, but helping the team down the road.

If moves are made, I'd count on Soriano and Marmol being traded. There's not much value there, but I'm going to see what I can do. There's a heaping pile of money being divided between those two players, and I can't say that I am a fan of that. While I like Soriano, I do not feel the same way about Marmol. I think he is a bum.

Schierholtz and Hairston will platoon in right field for the time being.

k_mac 04-16-2013 06:05 PM

Cubs may start to answer questions
By Jesse Rodgers | ESPNChicago.com

PITTSBURGH -- Amidst the tiring back-and-forth of the Wrigley Field renovation project (including a silly dalliance with the city of Rosemont), a greater interest in their minor leaguers and the promise of the upcoming No. 2 overall pick in the draft, the Chicago Cubs have a season to play.

It starts Monday in Pittsburgh in case your attention was elsewhere, maybe on the back fields of Fitch Park in Mesa, Ariz. where most of the future hangs out.

Come October it’s more than likely -- heck, it’s nearly a guarantee -- that the Cubs will be a half decade into a second century of futility. One hundred and five years will have gone by without a championship. The good news is they should be a year closer.

Maybe you’ve heard that notion before. After all, the phrase "Wait 'til next year" didn’t just materialize, it’s been the Cubs' motto for years. But in the most ironic of twists, the losing which defined the team last year and the losing that’s to come this year is by design. We couldn’t always say that in the past.

What’s worse? Thinking there’s a contending team on the field and losing 100 games or knowing there isn’t one and still losing 100? I’ll take the latter any day. At least the Cubs aren’t fooling anyone this time around.

That’s not to say the Cubs are simply pulling a move from the musical “The Producers." They aren’t tanking it just to make money. Of course that happens to be a by-product of reducing payroll without reducing ticket prices. But that’s the fans’ problem. They could stay home from Wrigley. (Yes, you could.) It’s the one and only way ticket prices might be reduced.

As for the losing, what do you think the word "rebuilding" entails?

Team president Theo Epstein has been given an unprecedented opportunity: A chance to truly rebuild a franchise in a large market with a patient owner. There is no executive in the game who wouldn’t love that scenario. Yes, he might draw a nice salary for a few years while the Cubs lose and then ride off into the sunset, but do you really believe that’s what he cares about?

Epstein is already a sacred name in one sacred baseball city. Winning with the Cubs would secure his legacy for all-time. It would make winning with the Boston Red Sox -- a pretty good accomplishment -- a mere appetizer. And this would be even more rewarding. Epstein didn’t strip the Red Sox down to it’s foundation as he’s doing the Cubs. Building from scratch is always more rewarding than with a head start.

It’s with this backdrop that another season begins. The final one in which the Cubs should be in the acquiring-talent mode, the final one in which the words "fire sale at the trade deadline" should be uttered. It’s the late stages of phase one of rebuilding, if you will. Last year was about establishing the new regime, this year is about making progress.

Progress will be defined in many ways. The organization has new hitting coaches and the Cubs manual of how to do things is complete.

They can dress it up all they want, but working the count and getting on base by whatever means is still what it’s all about. There is no better correlation for runs scored than on-base percentage. That’s not an opinion, that’s a fact.

As for pitching, hard throwers who hit the lower portion of the strike zone should see the least damage. The Cubs want their hitters hitting the high ones while their pitchers are throwing strikes at the knees. That’s one way progress will be defined throughout the organization. But, again, there is a season at hand. What’s important? Not wins and losses.

If the Cubs wanted to avoid 100 losses last year they would not have traded so many veterans or shut down pitcher Jeff Samardzija, for example. The same is true this season. They can win more games if they want to. But they don’t want to. They’d rather acquire more talent.

But this has to be the last season of doing so. Another draft, another trade deadline, at some point it has to end and development -- and actual winning -- has to start.

This isn’t something Cubs brass doesn’t know. But there is no shortcut between here and there. And if the Cubs are going to win in the near future there are players on this roster who will be there. How good can those individuals be? Those are the storylines of 2013.

k_mac 04-16-2013 06:08 PM

Players To Watch

- You know the names by now, and none of them are a finished project. Anthony Rizzo is still an infant at the Major League level. Half a year doesn’t make a career. If he doubles his production of a season ago (15 home runs and 48 RBIs) then the Cubs have found their first baseman for When They Contend (WTC).

- Starlin Castro is already the guy at shortstop, but he has the talent to take his game to another stratosphere. All great teams have a superstar or two. Here is Castro, on the verge of becoming one -- if you believe the things he’s said and done this spring. He’s such a natural at the plate, and in the field it probably won’t take much for him to get to another level. But baseball has a funny way of making sure things look difficult. Can he do it?

- Samardzija’s career arc has been a good one so far. But his mission isn’t complete. A good year secures him a spot for WTC. A multi-year contract will assure that as well. But we don’t know if he’s that guy yet either. Like Rizzo, Samardzija hasn’t done it for a full season. Now he’ll get his chance.

- Darwin Barney can pick the ball up with the best in the game. He and Castro are arguably as good a double play combination as you’ll find. But all field and no hit might not be enough for Barney to be here WTC. This year will tell a lot, considering he put so much time and emphasis on his approach at the plate.

- Edwin Jackson is probably here WTC but we’re not sure on Travis Wood. Will Kyuji Fujikawa take over as the closer sooner rather than later and what does that mean for Fujikawa's long-term prospects in Chicago?

So there are names that matter, both at the big league level and of course in the minors. Names like Brett Jackson, Junior Lake, Josh Vitters, Javier Baez and Jorge Soler just to name a few. Their advancements are as important as the ones at the major league level. They are on parallel tracks, all with an eye on contending. Maybe next year, more than likely the year after.

Once the season begins Monday afternoon it will be hard not to get caught up in the wins and losses. And if the Cubs can get off to a good start there’s always a chance at a surprise later on -- it doesn’t take much to contend for the Wild Card these days. And there would be some good to come of that.

The more “meaningful” games the core players participate in the better they’ll be for it. The playoffs are all about dealing with the pressure of the moment, now more than ever. But first things first.

If there is any chance for the Cubs to be respectable in the standings and surprise the baseball world there are a few things to watch.

k_mac 04-16-2013 06:10 PM

Keys to the Season

On offense, assuming Castro, Rizzo and Soriano all hit, two players become vitally important: David DeJesus in the one hole and Nate Schierholtz in the five hole. Schierholtz might be the key. Never before has he been a starter and hitting behind the “big three” he’ll get plenty of chances to drive in runs. He needs to do so. And DeJesus, coming off a fabulous spring, can really set the table for the big three as well.

Pitching still wins. There is so much uncertainty in the starting rotation it’s hard to know what the No. 1 key is. Maybe it’s getting Matt Garza healthy as soon as possible. A frustrating lat injury has lingered too long. After that, hoping that Samardzija is a true ace might not be a reach. He seems like a man on a mission. And Scott Feldman might be a classic veteran pitcher who showed very little in spring training but, as he switches leagues and ballparks, makes it look easy starting this week. There’s more wishful thinking with the rotation than actual evidence it will be good though. Wood and Carlos Villanueva could go either way while Edwin Jackson might be the lone hurler that you can rely on -- even if he’s not dominant.

Defensively the Cubs are solid in the infield, with or without Ian Stewart. Elsewhere, a new centerfielder, right fielder and full-time catcher make the rest of the defense a question mark. They might be able to get by in the outfield, but Welington Castillo needs to be solid behind the plate. That includes calling a game and throwing out runners. It remains to be seen if he can handle the job.

Many thought Carlos Marmol would be traded by now, but despite manager Dale Sveum’s insistence he had a good spring, he’s still inconsistent. How soon Fujikawa takes over the closer role might go a long way to deciding how April goes for the Cubs. Either way, will we see the Marmol of last year at about this time (he was bad) or the Marmol that threw strikes and got people out in the second half of the season? It’s anyone’s guess right now, but I wouldn’t count on the latter happening.

Finally, there is something to be learned of Sveum. In-game moves aren’t of huge importance but how players thrive under him are. It’s an under-rated aspect of managing. For example, his strategy of playing his core guys –- especially young ones -- as many as 162 games isn’t shared by all in the game. Will he be rewarded for that kind of confidence? Is that going to make Castro better in the long term? A good manager doesn’t just make the right calls on double switches, he brings out the best in players. Of course, the more talent he has to work with the easier his job will be.

So let the journey of another season begin. Off the field news will dominate as much as on the field and that might be a good distraction at times. Simply put, don’t make judging the Cubs by wins and losses your top priority. If you do, it’ll be another long season. If it’s a long year in the standings yet core guys take necessary steps -- and new core guys emerge -- then that’s a victory in itself.

When it comes to the Cubs one saying still holds true: Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

2013 Predictions:

MVP: Castro, .300, 25 HR, 86 RBI, 28 SB

Home Runs: Rizzo, 26

RBI: Rizzo, 90

Wins leader: Samardzija, 15

ERA leader: Samardzija, 3.43

Cubs record: 72-90

k_mac 04-16-2013 06:41 PM

By Jim Callis - Baseball America

Javier Baez - SS

Scouting Report: Baez has electric bat speed that elicits comparisons to the gold standard (Gary Sheffield), and he turns it loose every time. At some point he's going to have to tone down his swing and take more pitches—probably once he understands that opponents won't challenge him if they don't have to—but he has an uncanny ability to impart a lot of topspin on balls even when he doesn't square them up. His offensive ceiling is ridiculous, as it's not out of the question that he could develop into a well above-average hitter for both average and power. His bat alone could make him a superstar, but Baez offers a lot more in his tool kit. He surprised MWL observers and the Cubs with his smooth actions and range at shortstop. He eventually may outgrow the position, but scouts give him a chance to stay there for a while. His arm gives him a third well above-average tool, and he'd have no problem fulfilling the offensive and defensive requirements at third base. He has strong instincts and is much more under control as both a defender and baserunner. With average speed, he swiped 24 bases in 29 attempts last year. Baez plays with a cockiness that tends to infuriate opponents, which explains why he was hit by 10 pitches in 57 MWL games.

Albert Almora - OF

Scouting Report: Thanks to his bat speed, loose swing and hand-eye coordination, Almora makes line-drive contact with ease. He has natural hitting rhythm and pitch-recognition skills. He will need more patience after walking just twice in 145 pro plate appearances. He's not the most physical player, but he has the hitting acumen and projection to grow into 20-homer power. Almora's defense is exceptional. He has incredible instincts, allowing his average speed to play up on the bases and in center field. He gets outstanding jumps and takes precise routes. He also has a strong, accurate arm. A quality teammate, he has helped Jorge Soler with his English.

Jorge Soler - OF

Scouting Report: The ball explodes off Soler's bat, and his well above-average power can make any ballpark look small. He hit two balls onto Waveland Avenue while taking batting practice at Wrigley Field in September. He has feel for hitting too, as he uses a game plan, recognizes pitches well and can make two-strike adjustments. Some scouts worry about an arm bar and stiffness in his swing. Soler has solid speed once he gets going and good instincts on the bases. Once he improves his routes to balls, he'll be an asset in right field. He has well above-average arm strength and makes accurate throws.

Arodys Vizcaino - RHP

Scouting Report: Before he got hurt, Vizcaino was one of baseball's top pitching prospects. He had a 93-95 mph fastball that topped out at 97, and it might be his second-best pitch. The only negative about his sharp curveball was that he threw it too much. Refining his changeup and improving his fastball command were on his to-do list. Assuming Vizcaino regains full health, the biggest question will be his future role. Chicago sees a potential No. 2 starter while his detractors think his track record indicates that he won't hold up in a rotation, even if his mechanics are fine. At worst, the Cubs think they have a closer.

Brett Jackson - OF

Scouting Report: Jackson's problems may be mechanical. He has developed a bad habit of drifting toward the plate, blocking off his hands and leaving him easy prey for inside fastballs. He also takes or swings through too many hittable pitches. As his problems got worse, he started chasing more offspeed pitches. Even if Jackson doesn't hit for a high average, he still can do a lot to help a club. He draws walks and has plus power and speed, still managing to produce 60 extra-base hits (including 19 homers) and 27 steals in 2012 despite his struggles. He can play a solid center field and provide above-average defense on the corners. His arm is average and accurate.

Pierce Johnson - RHP

Scouting Report: Johnson consistently works at 92-94 mph and reaches 96 with his lively fastball. His hammer curveball gives him two pitches that can get swings and misses. He also has a mid-80s cutter and a changeup that's coming along. Johnson is more about power than finesse, and his control and command are no better than average. He doesn't have a clean medical history, as he had forearm issues as a high school senior and college freshman and dislocated a kneecap while warming up in the summer Cape Cod League in 2011. The Cubs rave about his work ethic and character.

Dan Vogelbach - 1B

Scouting Report: Vogelbach has more usable power than Baez or Jorge Soler, which is saying a lot. He has plenty of bat speed and strength, but Vogelbach does more than just grip it and rip it. He earns high marks for his advanced approach and feel for hitting. He controls the strike zone, takes walks and uses the entire field with an effortless swing. He can get pull-conscious at times but generally hits from gap to gap. Vogelbach will need to keep producing at the plate because he can't do anything else. He has improved his conditioning since ballooning to 280 pounds in 2010, but he'll always carry a lot of weight. He's a liability on the basepaths and adequate at best as a first baseman. A lot of teams see him as a DH, which wouldn't do a National League club any good.

Jeimer Candelario - 3B

Scouting Report: Though he's just 19, Candelario already shows a fluid swing and feel for hitting from both sides of the plate. He's advanced for his age in terms of plate discipline, pitch recognition and willingness to use the entire field. He didn't drive the ball a lot last summer, but he has the bat speed and projectable frame to develop 20-homer power. He'll need to get stronger after hitting just .265 with two homers in the final two months of the NWL season. Candelario has the soft hands and strong arm for third base but it's questionable whether he can play there at the highest levels. He has below-average speed and fringy range, and his concentration wanders at times. He led NWL third basemen with 20 errors in 59 games.

Kyuji Fujikawa - RHP

Scouting Report: Fujikawa throws harder than most Japanese pitchers, regularly operating with a 91-94 mph fastball. His out pitch is a mid-80s splitter, and he also uses an upper-70s slurve. He commands and controls his pitches well, with career averages of 11.9 strikeouts and 2.7 walks per nine innings in Japan. With his track record of pitching in the late innings and in international tournaments, he has no problems dealing with pressure.

Arismendy Alcantara - SS

Scouting Report: Alcantara is a live-bodied switch-hitter who can hit for average and provide solid power for a middle infielder from both sides of the plate. His further offensive development will be tied to improved selectivity at the plate, as he still gives away at-bats at times. He has plus speed and knows how to use it, stealing 25 bases in 29 tries in 2012. Alcantara has the quickness, range and arm strength to make all the plays at shortstop. But he loses focus at times and makes too many off-target throws, leading to 30 errors in 71 games at short last year. The game may just be too fast for him there, so he might be better off at second base.

k_mac 04-16-2013 09:58 PM

Soriano Reunited With Yankees

When the Cubs signed Alfonso Soriano in 2007, they expected to get the 40/40 type of production that he had put up the year prior with the Washington Nationals. The now 37 year old left fielder has saw a major drop off in the steals department, but has continued to hit for power. He is coming off of arguably his best season as a Cub, where he improved vastly out in left and put up over 100 RBI.

The Cubs have been searching for a suitor for Soriano's talents, but his behemoth of a contract has been quite a problem. Soriano also has a no-trade clause, which has made the process even harder.

Today, the Cubs have gotten Soriano's blessing on a 5 player deal that sends him and right handed pitching prospect Robert Whitenack to New York. The Cubs also agree to pay 60% of Soriano's remaining salary as a part of the deal.

The Cubs receive catcher Austin Romine and right handed pitchers Dellin Betances and Corey Black from the Yankees.

Whitenack, 24, was an 8th round selection of the Cubs back in 2009. He had not made an appearance in Chicago, but was regarded as a top 20 prospect by many.

The Cubs took a chance on Betances, the 25 year old who just seemed to disappear from the Yankees top prospect list coming into the year. Struggling mightily in 2012, the Cubs hope a change of scenery will benefit his cause.

Profiling as classic power arms, both Betances and Black can bring heat. Black was touching the 100 MPH range after being drafted.

Austin Romine, the most promising defender out of the corps of young Yankees catchers will look to improve upon his numbers at the plate to contend with starter Welington Castilo. With Dioner Navarro already on the Major League roster for the Cubs, Romine will likely begin playing for the Cubs AAA affiliate Iowa. The Yankees felt more than comfortable dealing Romine after he couldn't hold onto a roster spot through spring training. With Gary Sanchez' stock rising rapidly, New York made it a little easier for him to progress through their system.

Romine, Black and Betances are graded as a "C" level potential prospects, while Whitenack is a "B."

k_mac 04-17-2013 09:48 PM

Cubs Notes: Marmol, Watkins, Jackson

After dealing Alfonso Soriano yesterday, the Chicago Cubs are actively trying to find a deal to move closer Carlos Marmol. This shouldn't come as a surprise, as the Cubs had a potential suitor for Marmol this offseason. The Angels almost sent Dan Haren to Chicago in a deal for the closer, but after receiving Haren's medical records, the Cubs staff decided it was best to not pursuit the deal. Marmol is set to start the 3rd year of his $21 million contract in 2013. He also has a no trade clause, which will make the deal even harder for Epstein and co. to make.

"My mind is clear," said Marmol, when asked about trade rumors. "I don't worry about what is being said now. At the beginning of spring training I was a little confused about where I would be. I had never been in this situation before last November, when I was almost traded. I was a little shocked then and early spring (training)."

Potential landing spots for the closer include Baltimore, Detroit, Toronto, Chicago (Sox), and both of the Los Angeles teams.

In another transaction today, 2B/OF Logan Watkins was called up and placed on the major league roster. This comes after the trade of Soriano and the placing of Scott Baker on the 60 day DL. Watkins is called upon because of his versatility, and his willingness to play anywhere in the field. The 23 year old will also bring another left handed bat into Chicago's lineup when he plays.

Chicago will probably use Watkins as an outfielder and a spot starter in the infield until Brett Jackson is ready. Jackson, coming off of an unimpressive spring will begin the year in AAA Iowa. The Cubs brass has been adamant on leaving Jackson down in AAA to get him at bats, giving him the Anthony Rizzo treatment. Cubs fans can hope that Jackson produces the same way Rizzo did in his minor league stint last year. Rizzo worked on his plate discipline and swing and mashed AAA pitching. "Brett's time will come, but we're not trying to rush anything right now," said Epstein, the President of Baseball Operations.

The Cubs do have one spot open on their 25 man roster, and on their 40 man, so another transaction may be in the works. Keep an eye on the north side of Chicago.