Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB The Show Last Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Complete The Show Noob (/forums/showthread.php?t=622078)

ninjamonkey 04-16-2013 05:32 PM

Complete The Show Noob

Hi everyone,

I used to frequent this forum years ago, back when I was really into sports games, in the early 2000s. I haven't bought a baseball game since World Series Baseball 2K3, so it's been a decade. I had always wanted to try The Show, but I didn't have a PS3 until December last year, so I just bought The Show 13. So this is not only my first baseball video game in 10 years, but it's my first time playing The Show. I have a few basic questions, and I hope they are pretty basic.

So for my first game, I used Beginner mode. The game was way too easy. I felt like I wasn't doing very much besides hitting X, and I was pitching a no-hitter through the 7th inning.

So then I tried out Meter pitching, and I think I understand how it works, but I wasn't great at the whole accuracy part. I'm sure I would get better with time, but I began to wonder which pitching mode was most "realistic." I have always been a "sim" player, so I'm definitely looking for the most realistic experience, but I DO want to feel like I'm playing the game and have influence, as opposed to just hitting X. I also tried Zone Hitting, and it was cool, but again, I didn't know if this was the most realistic setting, and started to wonder what other sim players were doing.

For my second game, I upped the level to Rookie for both Pitching and Hitting, and went back to Classic Pitching and Timed Hitting (like in Beginner Mode). The game felt much better difficulty-wise, except for whatever reason I suddenly gave up 3 HR in an inning. I lost 11 to 8, and the opposing team had 16 hits. I had 13 hits. So either this was a fluke game, or something is off in terms of too many hits.

I will definitely be trying some slider sets out once I decide my difficulty level and general gameplay options. I have a feeling sports games have become much better and more realistic since 2002, and especially with sliders...

So here are my questions:

1) What do you think is the most sim/realistic hitting interface?

2) What do you think is the most sim/realistic pitching interface?

3) If I use Meter pitching, and I hit X early on in the power climb, the little power indicator seems to go much higher than where I hit X. Is this the "minimum" power that can be done even if I hit X before the meter reaches that point?

4) If I use Timed Hitting, do I need to worry about the reticle at all? I dont think so, but after the pitch, the game tells me about my "Contact" and timing and shows a reticle in relation to pitch location, as if I had been controlling it.

5) If I use Timed Hitting, is bunting simply a matter of pressing Triangle? I don't need to aim or time it right? It seemed way too easy to get a successful sacrifice bunt, but then again, I'm on Rookie.

6) Does this game adapt difficulty level or have "Comeback AI," or is Beginner mode the only adaptive mode?

Thanks!

underdog13 04-16-2013 06:33 PM

Re: Complete The Show Noob

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjamonkey (Post 2044925659)
Hi everyone,

I used to frequent this forum years ago, back when I was really into sports games, in the early 2000s. I haven't bought a baseball game since World Series Baseball 2K3, so it's been a decade. I had always wanted to try The Show, but I didn't have a PS3 until December last year, so I just bought The Show 13. So this is not only my first baseball video game in 10 years, but it's my first time playing The Show. I have a few basic questions, and I hope they are pretty basic.

So for my first game, I used Beginner mode. The game was way too easy. I felt like I wasn't doing very much besides hitting X, and I was pitching a no-hitter through the 7th inning.

So then I tried out Meter pitching, and I think I understand how it works, but I wasn't great at the whole accuracy part. I'm sure I would get better with time, but I began to wonder which pitching mode was most "realistic." I have always been a "sim" player, so I'm definitely looking for the most realistic experience, but I DO want to feel like I'm playing the game and have influence, as opposed to just hitting X. I also tried Zone Hitting, and it was cool, but again, I didn't know if this was the most realistic setting, and started to wonder what other sim players were doing.

For my second game, I upped the level to Rookie for both Pitching and Hitting, and went back to Classic Pitching and Timed Hitting (like in Beginner Mode). The game felt much better difficulty-wise, except for whatever reason I suddenly gave up 3 HR in an inning. I lost 11 to 8, and the opposing team had 16 hits. I had 13 hits. So either this was a fluke game, or something is off in terms of too many hits.

I will definitely be trying some slider sets out once I decide my difficulty level and general gameplay options. I have a feeling sports games have become much better and more realistic since 2002, and especially with sliders...

So here are my questions:

1) What do you think is the most sim/realistic hitting interface?

2) What do you think is the most sim/realistic pitching interface?

3) If I use Meter pitching, and I hit X early on in the power climb, the little power indicator seems to go much higher than where I hit X. Is this the "minimum" power that can be done even if I hit X before the meter reaches that point?

4) If I use Timed Hitting, do I need to worry about the reticle at all? I dont think so, but after the pitch, the game tells me about my "Contact" and timing and shows a reticle in relation to pitch location, as if I had been controlling it.

5) If I use Timed Hitting, is bunting simply a matter of pressing Triangle? I don't need to aim or time it right? It seemed way too easy to get a successful sacrifice bunt, but then again, I'm on Rookie.

6) Does this game adapt difficulty level or have "Comeback AI," or is Beginner mode the only adaptive mode?

Thanks!

1) IMO timing is the most realistic stat wise but i use zone because it's more fun and i still get realistic stats.

2) classic relies solely on the pitchers stats. i use meter again because i have more fun, while getting realistic stats.

3) yes

4) it's called the plate coverage indicator or pci for short. If you are in options and using timing you can turn it off. When using timing the players ability determines where the pci goes.

5) you can tap triangle for a drag bunt. Also if you hold down r2 and move the r stick up,down,left, or right you will influence you swing/bunt in that direction.

6) There is no comeback AI. But the CPU on every difficulty level will adapt to your patterns more so on higher difficulties.

Hope that helps you and have fun with the show!