Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Other Football Games (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   Throwback Pro Football (/forums/showthread.php?t=624295)

Kingd803 04-24-2013 08:02 PM

Throwback Pro Football

I am currently trying to create my own 3D football simulation. I'm a "sim head" the sport of football is my passion in life. I just love the sport. NFL and College. I'm just like y'all, I'm tired of not having a game that simulates my favorite sport.

So that is why I'm going to try and create one. Throwback Pro Football will be based on NFL rules. It will also be based on the hard hitting NFL of the 1980s. In the 70s and 80s the NFL was a much different league. Most teams relied on a good running back and a great defense. In the Early 80s you had teams starting to spread the ball around through the air. But D was still king. Defense still won championships.

The players also hit harder and played with everything on the line. With no regard for their bodies. Just completely launching themselves into other players simply for one more yard. You simply don't see the same passion in the NFL today.

And that is what I'm hoping to simulate.

This game will have 28 base teams. With generic names. And players. But will be completely customizable. On top of that players can create their own teams. And create their own league. So if you wanted to simulate that three lettered league you can. I want to get the ratings for the base teams and players close to how that team would have played in that decade.

Stadiums and what city your team play in will also play a big factor. I want to get historic stadiums in, or at least stadiums that look close to what the historic stadiums looked liked.

Let's so your team in from New York and you were going down to play miami. The heat would play a role on your team. Since you aren't used to it. Giving miami a slight advantage. And vice versa. The crowd in miami would also be a bigger factor than one might imagine.

Buffalo would be a tough place to play since it was cold and the wind would be a factor.

Ratings will be from 1 to 100. I also want there to be special skills. Similar to APF.

Those are the things I plan to be in the game. Right now this is being developed for PC. But I hope once its released I can get it on consoles too.

Right now it's just me and a couple of other people working on it. We haven't got much done at all. But we are devoted.

Right now all we have is a QB player model. WIP. The helmet can come off. It was modeled separate. There wil be many different options for facemask and equipment.

The helmet is done. Everyone else is very WIP.

T_Way 04-25-2013 04:01 AM

Re: Throwback Pro Football

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingd803 (Post 2044952709)
I am currently trying to create my own 3D football simulation. I'm a "sim head" the sport of football is my passion in life. I just love the sport. NFL and College. I'm just like y'all, I'm tired of not having a game that simulates my favorite sport.

So that is why I'm going to try and create one. Throwback Pro Football will be based on NFL rules. It will also be based on the hard hitting NFL of the 1980s. In the 70s and 80s the NFL was a much different league. Most teams relied on a good running back and a great defense. In the Early 80s you had teams starting to spread the ball around through the air. But D was still king. Defense still won championships.

The players also hit harder and played with everything on the line. With no regard for their bodies. Just completely launching themselves into other players simply for one more yard. You simply don't see the same passion in the NFL today.

And that is what I'm hoping to simulate.

This game will have 28 base teams. With generic names. And players. But will be completely customizable. On top of that players can create their own teams. And create their own league. So if you wanted to simulate that three lettered league you can. I want to get the ratings for the base teams and players close to how that team would have played in that decade.

Stadiums and what city your team play in will also play a big factor. I want to get historic stadiums in, or at least stadiums that look close to what the historic stadiums looked liked.

Let's so your team in from New York and you were going down to play miami. The heat would play a role on your team. Since you aren't used to it. Giving miami a slight advantage. And vice versa. The crowd in miami would also be a bigger factor than one might imagine.

Buffalo would be a tough place to play since it was cold and the wind would be a factor.

Ratings will be from 1 to 100. I also want there to be special skills. Similar to APF.

Those are the things I plan to be in the game. Right now this is being developed for PC. But I hope once its released I can get it on consoles too.

Right now it's just me and a couple of other people working on it. We haven't got much done at all. But we are devoted.

Right now all we have is a QB player model. WIP. The helmet can come off. It was modeled separate. There wil be many different options for facemask and equipment.

The helmet is done. Everyone else is very WIP.

Sounds awesome man. do you have anyone helping you on this project? good luck and dont give up. keep us posted.

Kingd803 04-25-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T_Way (Post 2044954208)
Sounds awesome man. do you have anyone helping you on this project? good luck and dont give up. keep us posted.

I have one person helping me do player models. I could use some help. So if anyone is interested let me know.

T_Way 04-30-2013 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingd803 (Post 2044955586)
I have one person helping me do player models. I could use some help. So if anyone is interested let me know.

I wish i could help dude. the only experience i have is audio, like making music. but i dont think i could be of any help.

i do have some questions though, when do you think this will come out? will you release beta versions or demo's? you mentioned consoles.. that would be cool to get this on on psn and xbl arcade, are you aiming for those platforms too? thanks man.

CM Hooe 04-30-2013 10:22 AM

How many software engineers do you have on the project? What language and engine are you using to implement the game? What's the scope of your game's initial feature set? What time frame are you looking at for a first release? What platforms are you targeting for the game?

I realize that I have probably shotgunned, but I'm curious as to how far you have gone with this idea, where you are in the process.

Kingd803 04-30-2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T_Way (Post 2044971119)
I wish i could help dude. the only experience i have is audio, like making music. but i dont think i could be of any help.

i do have some questions though, when do you think this will come out? will you release beta versions or demo's? you mentioned consoles.. that would be cool to get this on on psn and xbl arcade, are you aiming for those platforms too? thanks man.

When the game gets to a playable state I think I want to go the minecraft route. People can pay a small ammount to play it. And I will update it. And they will get the updates free. Then when the final game is released they will get a discount. That's my plan anyways. I'm not sure yet.

I hope I could get it on the consoles. But who knows at this point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CM Hooe (Post 2044971294)
How many software engineers do you have on the project?

None yet. Right now it's just me and my friend.

What language and engine are you using to implement the game?
C++ and I was looking at unity.

What's the scope of your game's initial feature set?

At its core I want this game to simulate football. I really want to get the fundamentals down.

As far as features the main one would be that the game will be completely customizable. You name your league. Teams. Players. I really loved the backbreaker logo creator. But I might just have to settle for uploading a logo. Like in NASCAR racing 2003.

My second feature would be football based on the NFL in the 80s. The game will come with 28 generic teams. Generic team names, colors, and player names. But they will be based on the real nfl teams from the decade.

So lets say you have to go to Chicago. You know they are gonna run the ball and play great D. Or you have to play Miami, you would go into that game knowing you had to shut down that miami QB if you were gonna have a shot.

I want it to where players feel different form each other. I want the player to be scared when they see San Francisco on the schedule.

What time frame are you looking at for a first release? What platforms are you targeting for the game?

I currently don't have a time frame. Things are going pretty slow right now. And this is going to be for PC at first.

I realize that I have probably shotgunned, but I'm curious as to how far you have gone with this idea, where you are in the process.

CM Hooe 05-01-2013 12:07 PM

Solid. I look forward to see what you can do.

Fair warning, though - Unity doesn't do C++. You'll need to code in C# or JavaScript. If you know C++ however transitioning to either of those two languages will not be difficult whatsoever.

mvb34 05-01-2013 02:05 PM

I'm going keep an eye on this... Just wondering what a atleast 32 generic team model?