Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Simple Random Job Offers Calculator to Start Dynasty (NCAA 14) (/forums/showthread.php?t=641561)

Desalbert 07-08-2013 04:44 PM

Simple Random Job Offers Calculator to Start Dynasty (NCAA 14)

1 Attachment(s)
Hey all, just wanted to share a quick (and very simple) excel thing I'm working on, which simply provides random job offers to consider for starting your dynasty.

I know a lot of you are loyal or already have your idea in mind, but I reckon that, as a coach, you don't often get to land where you like. So, I created a very crude but effective randomizer, which determines whether each of the 126 teams is offering me a job and what job they are offering.

The function simply assigns a number to each team when randomized, with 0 being "No Offer" (Meaning you cannot select this team to start) 1 Being "Offensive Coordinator (Meaning the team is offering you an OC position), 2 being DC and 3 being Head Coach.

From here, of course you could have other stipulations, and say, decide not to select any head coaching gig to start off, or not to select any powerful team, but as a quick and dirty job-offer simulator, this gets the job done.

I've provided a colour coordination and continual legend on the righthand side, but please note that the colour coordination is just for the randomization I recieved personally, in order to make it easier to digest. If you wish to do the same you'll have to colour coordinate the results yourself. (I'm a noob at excell)

I did something similar in Madden and will in Madden 25 and offered a tiered/percentage of likelihood system for that, so better teams were harder to get offers from, but in this case, I just provided a pure randomization.

For now, I figure I can rule out teams on my own if I don't want a strong team, etc.

Anyway I know this is very simple, but if you are like me and you think that a coach should not always have the position he covets available to him, then you may want to f9 yourself a random batch like I did.

Thanks guys, I do hope its of interest to someone.

I've included the excell file complete with my own job offer rolls in a .rar file.

tetoleetd 07-08-2013 04:58 PM

Re: Simple Random Job Offers Calculator to Start Dynasty (NCAA 14)

an easier and much more simple way to do this would be just write down like 15 team names on pieces of paper and put them in a hat. take out like 5 teams at random and choose from those where you'd like to coach.

technology is great, but it can really over complicate things in the pursuit of making life easier.

Zac 07-08-2013 05:01 PM

Or just change the selection to 1 star teams and randomly pick one. The decide on OC, HC or DC.

But this is why I wish they implemented this into the game itself. Maybe in 2024 it will be part of the game.

Desalbert 07-08-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tetoleetd (Post 2045217208)
an easier and much more simple way to do this would be just write down like 15 team names on pieces of paper and put them in a hat. take out like 5 teams at random and choose from those where you'd like to coach.

technology is great, but it can really over complicate things in the pursuit of making life easier.

Fair point-- that would be the classic method-- the ol' pull from a hat. But it is unclinical in the sense that, you already have to truncate your list down to a manageable size that doesn't include every team (unless you pit 126 pieces of scraps into a hat )

Anyway, each his own. Lord knows I've done the hat pull often-- Just thought I'd offer a slightly different option (though no one may need it)

Thanks for the toughts

tetoleetd 07-08-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desalbert (Post 2045217223)
Fair point-- that would be the classic method-- the ol' pull from a hat. But it is unclinical in the sense that, you already have to truncate your list down to a manageable size that doesn't include every team (unless you pit 126 pieces of scraps into a hat )

Anyway, each his own. Lord knows I've done the hat pull often-- Just thought I'd offer a slightly different option (though no one may need it)

Thanks for the toughts

i mean most people have a set idea of the caliber of team they want to start out with. so picking randomly out of all the teams in the game is kind of overkill.

i for one will take like the 10 lowest rated teams in the game and pick a couple out of a hat to choose from. i feel like that is a good way to replicate a young coach getting his first FBS gig.

Desalbert 07-08-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tetoleetd (Post 2045217281)
i mean most people have a set idea of the caliber of team they want to start out with. so picking randomly out of all the teams in the game is kind of overkill.

i for one will take like the 10 lowest rated teams in the game and pick a couple out of a hat to choose from. i feel like that is a good way to replicate a young coach getting his first FBS gig.

I would not disagree with you, fine sir. I myself am unlikely to take a team over 3 stars, so a great deal of the randomization my example gives will certainly be unneeded. So you have a very valid point