Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   FS USER TIPS (/forums/showthread.php?t=645106)

BCScreamingEagles 07-20-2013 02:51 PM

FS USER TIPS

So I have never been a great defensive player in the NCAA series and part of the reason for this is because I never picked one position and stayed with it. Recently to attempt to fix this I started a FS RTG. On average I usually make about 4 to 6 tackles a game but I am not really a threat to make interceptions. When I try to cover real tight the qb smartly never throws my way and when I try to bait the qb to throw my way often times I get to far out of position and cannot make a play on the ball.

So what I am trying to say is do any veteran FS players have some tips for a noob. Also would playing corner be eaiser for interceptions or is FS better?

GritSnSpeed 07-20-2013 06:13 PM

I've been playing SS for yrs now. As the safety you have more influence over the entire D. You can straight up blitz, run blitz cover the slot, TE or RB, and you can always just play the deep ball. It requires you to always make the right play, otherwise there's a strong chance your gonna get burned. One way or the other

Sent from my SCH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

GritSnSpeed 07-20-2013 06:15 PM

Play smart. Cover your man, or don't take for granted that the corner is gonna have perfect deep coverage. If you let him run with the WR there is always a chance he'll get burnt. If you step up to make the tackle, be sure you've got it, cuz there isn't anybody behind u.

Sent from my SCH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

noles367 07-20-2013 07:12 PM

Re: FS USER TIPS

I'm a longtime FS player in regular games, not so much RTG. But....

I'm assuming you are looking to be an Ed Reed type of playmaker. If you want INTs you need to pick your spots. If you are covering a man on a short route, or in a short zone, your goal should be coverage. The QB rarely will throw to you in these situations if you are doing your job.

I find the deeper routes are where to get the INTs. Streaks, posts, and corners. With some practice, you will find the sweet spot between the QB never throwing your way and getting out of position.

You are playing RTG so play calling may be an issue. I find it is easiest to get picks when you are roaming the field. For instance a deep blue zone with man coverage underneath lets you read the play and sneak in for a pick. Or cover 2 and 3 you can anticipate when the QB will throw onto a gap in coverage if you are able to read the play.

Try to pay attention to the offense. They will usually run similar plays so you have an idea of what's coming.

BCScreamingEagles 07-20-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noles367 (Post 2045268752)
I'm a longtime FS player in regular games, not so much RTG. But....

I'm assuming you are looking to be an Ed Reed type of playmaker. If you want INTs you need to pick your spots. If you are covering a man on a short route, or in a short zone, your goal should be coverage. The QB rarely will throw to you in these situations if you are doing your job.

I find the deeper routes are where to get the INTs. Streaks, posts, and corners. With some practice, you will find the sweet spot between the QB never throwing your way and getting out of position.

You are playing RTG so play calling may be an issue. I find it is easiest to get picks when you are roaming the field. For instance a deep blue zone with man coverage underneath lets you read the play and sneak in for a pick. Or cover 2 and 3 you can anticipate when the QB will throw onto a gap in coverage if you are able to read the play.

Try to pay attention to the offense. They will usually run similar plays so you have an idea of what's coming.

Funny you say Ed Reed because I was thinking of commenting about how I want my play style to reflect his in my original post. So far I have made some progress but sometimes I still gamble to much and get burned but at least I am learning.

Also your right about RTG playcalling its annoying at best. One of the most frustrating things about it is when the cpu runs hurry up offense and the defense is forced to run same play over and over with no way to audible

spreadhdgfx 07-20-2013 10:20 PM

i haven't played as a FS yet, but I feel like the reaction time thing will make things easier (you can use it to begin the play to know if it's a run or a pass)

RyanLeaf16 07-20-2013 10:25 PM

Remember that you don't always have to finish a game with multiple INTs or even with a INT for it to be considered a "success". I play the LBs and FS/SS position and cycle throughout my games. I never go for the INT unless I have a direct line to the ball. Usually I just user-swat.

Also, remember that if you are doing your job in coverage, then a lot of action IS NOT going to come your way. Every now and then you'll get a deep ball that you have to go up for. Just play your coverage and react and you should be fine. As NY_Kia31 says "It's called 'safety,' not 'risky.'"

BCScreamingEagles 07-21-2013 01:58 PM

So in my RTG UNLV my opponent had the ball at about the 10 yard line. I had a blue zone and we got a lot of pressure and I was able to intercept the pass in the back of the endzone and my momentum carried me out of bounds. The game immediately ruled this play a Minnesota touchdown and set me up to kick the extra point. This is really weird and totally kills my excitement about my first collegiate interception. Has anyone else seen this before and will this happen for every pick in the endzone or is this just a one time thing.