Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   EA's Motion to be Dismissed from O'Bannon Case Denied (/forums/showthread.php?t=648150)

RaychelSnr 07-31-2013 01:24 PM

EA's Motion to be Dismissed from O'Bannon Case Denied

Yesterday, we learned Electronic Arts was trying to get out of the legal entanglements of the Ed O'Bannon case in a motion filed with the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.

Today, EA (and the rest of us) have learned their motion was promptly denied.

"Given that NCAA football realistically portrays college football players in the context of college football games, the district court was correct in concluding that EA cannot prevail," wrote Judge Jay S. Bybee, in the decision.

This simply means EA will be involved in whatever litigation is to come -- and whether they like it or not, EA is tied to the NCAA on this one.

We'll of course continue to cover this case as it progresses through the courts, although final resolution is still years away.

KickassJohnson 07-31-2013 01:33 PM

Re: EA's Motion to be Dismissed from O'Bannon Case Denied

Good

10char

huntt26 07-31-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KickassJohnson (Post 2045305277)
Good

10char

I disagree. It would be good if EA got out of this, otherwise the future of the game could be in jeopardy. The NCAA sucks.

That being said, it totally makes sense for EA to be tied to this, the judge is right.

rj88 07-31-2013 02:33 PM

The bigger issue is with the schools who let the NCAA operate like this.

ghettogeeksta 07-31-2013 02:49 PM

Looks like it was a desperation move by EA.

The_Rick_14 07-31-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghettogeeksta (Post 2045305537)
Looks like it was a desperation move by EA.

It does? Because all it looked like to me was that EA tried to avoid a bunch of legal fees and took a chance. Doesn't seem like they lost anything by filing the motion.

mestevo 07-31-2013 04:16 PM

Lawsuits are requested to be dismissed at every opportunity that makes sense to do so. Pretty routinely done if not a number of times and probably won't be the last.

Gramps91 07-31-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntt26 (Post 2045305424)
I disagree. It would be good if EA got out of this, otherwise the future of the game could be in jeopardy. The NCAA sucks.

That being said, it totally makes sense for EA to be tied to this, the judge is right.

yea I agree with huntt here. It sucks EA couldn't get out of this. This jeopardizes future NCAA gaming.