Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Official NCAA store selling player jerseys by name (/forums/showthread.php?t=649720)

theycallmeSEABASS 08-06-2013 06:05 PM

Official NCAA store selling player jerseys by name

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...-search-engine

This could have pretty big implications on the O'Bannon case, considering the NCAA is making money off of the player likenesses yet preventing the athletes from seeing a penny from it. The search feature has been disabled.

BleedGreen710 08-06-2013 06:29 PM

Re: Official NCAA store selling player jerseys by name

LOOOOOOOL

ghstrdr57 08-07-2013 08:46 AM

Jay Bilas was on ESPN Radio to talk about the student-athlete hypocrisy and his jersey searches this morning. Pretty good interview if it pops up again. I am sure this will feed into the O'Bannon case in some way.

makeithappen 08-07-2013 08:55 AM

The players aren't allowed to make money. The search feature is to make things easier for the customer. Jay Bilas is a d-bag.

Pezell04x 08-07-2013 09:27 AM

Gotta agree with makeithappen. The search feature will make it easy for people to find whatever jersey they're looking for without searching through the tons of crap the NCAA sells with a team logo on it.

Also, if you notice the description of the jersey - it never mentions a player's name and there is no name on the jersey itself.

ThorsHammer 08-07-2013 01:09 PM

I couldn't disagree more.

The search feature was used to get people to buy Clowney jerseys not South Carolina Jerseys. What other business gets to make 100% profit, and pay its employees (Student-Athletes) none.

This is coming from a guy who played in college. NCAA takes advantage of its cash cow, plain and simple

makeithappen 08-07-2013 02:19 PM

Pretty sure the kids get a free education, free housing, free food, access to some of the top athletic facilities in the world.... Get to be superstars on campus....

Also, I'm pretty sure they know all of this when they accept the scholarship. You don't have to like the rules, but it's still the rules. If Manziel can accept money to sign autographs, whats to stop someone from throwing 7,500 at him to shave a few points. It's a slippery slope.

Jay Bilas is acting like he's bringing to light something that has never been discussed(his smugness is why i hate him).... This has been talked about forever. You want to play in the NCAA, you gotta play by the rules. That's that.

BleedGreen710 08-07-2013 02:28 PM

I really liked what Jay Bilas said on ESPN this morning.. he said if the NCAA players don't like the rule that they cant profit from autographs they should all go and purposely profit from autographs.. the NCAA cant ban them all or there would be no players. If there was ever a protest that was sure to work, it would be that.