Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   SEC, Pac-12, Big Ten Won't License Trademarks in Future Video Games (/forums/showthread.php?t=651736)

vhhsfu0509 08-14-2013 10:56 AM

SEC, Pac-12, Big Ten Won't License Trademarks in Future Video Games

The Southeastern Conference announced today that it will not, as a conference, license its trademarks in the EA Sports NCAA Football video game. This decision does not involve member universities as of yet, as this only involves the SEC conference name and logo.

However, this could be the type of event that opens the flood gates to future defections from the game. While the future of the College Football series looked somewhat on stable ground after EA and the CLC agreed to a three year deal, this news rattles the very foundations and future of the series.

"Each school makes its own individual decision regarding whether or not to license their trademarks for use in the EA Sports game(s)," the SEC said in a statement. "The Southeastern Conference has chosen not to do so moving forward. Neither the SEC, its member universities, nor the NCAA have ever licensed the right to use the name or likeness of any student to EA Sports."

This is another move in response to the Ed O'Bannon case which could end collegiate video games forever given unfavorable rulings from the courts.

Today's news only brings more questions as to the viability of the product going forward.

UPDATE: ESPN's Kristi Dosh is reporting that the Big XII says they have yet to make a decision on the inclusion of their marks in future College Football video games.

UPDATE #2: ESPN is now reporting the Big Ten is out as well.

UPDATE #3: In a statement to Joystiq, a CLC representative said "150 collegiate institutions, including SEC schools, have approved renewal of the EA college football license, to begin with the 2015 edition. As with any licensed product, individual schools continue to make their own decisions."

We are putting in a question with the CLC on whether this means schools can still opt out of the game at any time or not as the wording certainly seems to leave that possibility open.

Update #4: Jeremy Fowler of CBS is reporting that the Pac-12's marks also won't be in the new game.

awill25 08-14-2013 10:57 AM

Re: No SEC in Future College Football Video Games

Article:

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?story...56&src=desktop

kjjnesb 08-14-2013 10:58 AM

Wow that's a pretty significant blow.

awill25 08-14-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjjnesb (Post 2045349531)
Wow that's a pretty significant blow.

I think there is no question that this is a game changer. Hard to imagine at least a couple other conferences won't follow suit. I do think it is only a matter of time before the NCAA reign over major college football is over. Then it will be a complete bidding war!

gamemaster-2005 08-14-2013 11:01 AM

Very disappointed I will no longer be able to play with my VOLS

bad_philanthropy 08-14-2013 11:02 AM

I just wish this whole case could reach a judgement soon so we could know one way or another if the series will or won't return to normal.

Ramminyou 08-14-2013 11:02 AM

Not surprising really. It was something I wondered when the news that ncaa was backing out first broke. These schools and conferences are just as worried about potential litigation, no matter the precautions taken. I wouldn't be surprised to see other conferences or schools follow suit.

vhhsfu0509 08-14-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamemaster-2005 (Post 2045349542)
Very disappointed I will no longer be able to play with my VOLS

Just to clarify, the article says the teams can choose on their own whether or not to participate in the game. But the SEC and all of it's naming, imagery, etc will not.