Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Accuracy Ratings Explained (/forums/showthread.php?t=653585)

Jr. 08-20-2013 11:48 PM

Accuracy Ratings Explained

http://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/n...-25-qb-ratings

Saw this posted and couldn't believe what I was reading about Short/Medium/Deep accuracy ratings.

Quote:

Our ratings have broken down Throw Accuracy (THA) into 3 categories: short, medium and deep. While Aaron Rodgers is very accurate throwing to all parts of the field, some quarterbacks are much more accurate on short throws than deep throws. Here’s the breakdown:
- Short Accuracy – rating is the accuracy percentage of the QB on throws under 20 yards.
- Medium Accuracy – rating is the accuracy percentage of the QB on throws of 20-40 yards.
- Deep Accuracy – rating is the accuracy percentage of the QB on throws greater than 40 yards.
I had to read this 2 or 3 times to really figure out what I was reading. EA really considers any throw up to 20 yards a "short" pass? Twenty to Forty yards is a "medium" pass?????

This is pretty disturbing to think that the developers actually consider a pass thrown 18 yards downfield is a short distance.

Before reading this, I always went with a guess that SAC was anything under 10 yards, MAC was 10-20/25 yards, and DAC was 25+ going off of common sense. In the words of the great Lloyd Christmas "I was way off!"

Silver lining, at least we're getting some explanation of how these ratings work, so now I know I really only have to worry about the SAC rating since 90% of my throws are under 20 yards.

billsmetalbooze 08-20-2013 11:55 PM

Re: Accuracy Ratings Explained

you're right.

short should be to 10.

medium should be 10 to 20 or 25.

deep should be 25+, or 30+ in the air.

in reality, not that many passes travel 30 yards or more in the air. YAC inflates a lot of passes to suggest the QB is doing the work when it's not quite true.

DeuceDouglas 08-21-2013 12:00 AM

I think if you think about the throws more so from where the QB throws the ball rather than from the line of scrimmage, it makes more sense because you take 5-10 yards away from those numbers.

Jr. 08-21-2013 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas (Post 2045373447)
I think if you think about the throws more so from where the QB throws the ball rather than from the line of scrimmage, it makes more sense because you take 5-10 yards away from those numbers.

Ah, interesting. I hadn't thought of it that way. I still think the numbers are a little off, but that does make more sense.

DeuceDouglas 08-21-2013 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baughn3 (Post 2045373457)
Ah, interesting. I hadn't thought of it that way. I still think the numbers are a little off, but that does make more sense.

Yeah, I think I would put short at about 15 yards. That way a 10 yard hitch would be right in that window. I think the Short Accuracy should definitely be the smallest of them all. My thinking would be 0-15 is Short, 15-40 is Medium, and 40+ is deep with the deep rating being what really separates a lot of the good QB's from the bad ones.

TheBinnzer 08-21-2013 11:11 AM

i hope the line of scrimmage and yard markers have nothing to do with it. EI, if the QB throws a pass from the sideline side of the near hash to the sideline side of the far hash, 20 yards down field, that is NOT a 20 yard pass and it should not count as such.
Break out the geometry to find the hypotenuse of a right angle i think :) but you get what I am saying

footballman53 11-24-2013 10:35 PM

a "10 yard hitch" to the WR based on these ratings would be a medium pass just about every time, its about 15-30 yards from the QB to the receiver to begin with then the QB drops back 5 and the receiver runs forward 10, about the only true short throws based on these ratings are going to be directly over the middle, quick slants, and dump offs to the back (or screens) most passes will fall into the middle range or low end of deep, and common sense would dictate that yes its calculated from where the QB stands and not from the original placement of the ball, doesn't mean its actually accurate though, common sense is an uncommon virtue

purplerat 11-25-2013 11:33 AM

I did some test with QB accuracy a few weeks ago and I'm fairly sure the game uses linear distance from the QB to the receiver and not simply calculating the difference in yard markers. 10 yard hitch routes to the outside receiver were routinely registered as medium passes (i.e. MAC was used) and 10 yard out routes even more so. 10 yard hitches to slot receiver or TEs were more likely to be short passes as were in routes. Also how far back the QB dropped or whether he moved laterally towards or away from the receiver seemed to make a difference as well.

That's way after doing that test I started putting most of my CFM XP emphasis on MAC since it's the range most commonly used by my QBs.