Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Pro Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Week 1: Seattle Seahawks @ Carolina Panthers (/forums/showthread.php?t=657097)

Jr. 09-02-2013 12:01 AM

Week 1: Seattle Seahawks @ Carolina Panthers

The game that everyone will really be watching this weekend............

Anyway, Russel Wilson returns to the state where he made his name as a college football/baseball star (at least to diehard ACC fans).

Cam Newton and the offense look to get into a rhythm they couldn't find in the preseason, and Newton also will probably want to put his name back in the "great young QB" conversation after all of the attention paid to the rooks last year.

Don't be surprised to see some fireworks between Steve Smith and Richard Sherman. They both like to talk, and Steve has no qualms about getting into it with whomever is covering him.

I have no idea what to expect out of Carolina this year. The defense looked good in the preseason, but the DBs are so bad that I don't think they can keep it up unless the front 7 gets constant pressure. The offense could be explosive, but can anyone other than Steve make the defense pay for stacking the box to stop the run?

Seattle is a popular Super Bowl pick because of how they played last year, and everyone assuming Wilson and co. will be improved. Bruce Irvin is suspended, that could hurt the Seattle defense.. I don't really know, the Carolina OL is pretty bad, so it may not end up mattering much. Then again, Seattle is traveling west for a 1 pm ET start time.

Seattle is the favorite, and should be. They're the better team.

I don't have a score prediction, I just hope the Panthers don't embarrass themselves.

12 09-02-2013 12:31 AM

Re: Week 1: Seattle Seahawks @ Carolina Panthers

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jr. (Post 2045417423)
The game that everyone will really be watching this weekend............

Anyway, Russel Wilson returns to the state where he made his name as a college football/baseball star (at least to diehard ACC fans).

Cam Newton and the offense look to get into a rhythm they couldn't find in the preseason, and Newton also will probably want to put his name back in the "great young QB" conversation after all of the attention paid to the rooks last year.

Don't be surprised to see some fireworks between Steve Smith and Richard Sherman. They both like to talk, and Steve has no qualms about getting into it with whomever is covering him.

I have no idea what to expect out of Carolina this year. The defense looked good in the preseason, but the DBs are so bad that I don't think they can keep it up unless the front 7 gets constant pressure. The offense could be explosive, but can anyone other than Steve make the defense pay for stacking the box to stop the run?

Seattle is a popular Super Bowl pick because of how they played last year, and everyone assuming Wilson and co. will be improved. Bruce Irvin is suspended, that could hurt the Seattle defense.. I don't really know, the Carolina OL is pretty bad, so it may not end up mattering much. Then again, Seattle is traveling west for a 1 pm ET start time.

Seattle is the favorite, and should be. They're the better team.

I don't have a score prediction, I just hope the Panthers don't embarrass themselves.

I think this game is going to be close. I think Newton is going to rebound this year.

The division still runs through San Francisco. I hate all the hype. Seattle has a lot to prove.

24-17, Seattle. But it really could be closer. 10 AM road games are never easy for Seattle.

thaima1shu 09-02-2013 12:49 AM

I'm...nervous. It's the Seattle sports fan in me. There's just so much ridiculous hype for this team. Fans are so confident in the team. It's situations like these where Seattle sports always end up disappointing. Hope things go differently this time around and we pull out a win.

Jr. 09-02-2013 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12 (Post 2045417506)
I think this game is going to be close. I think Newton is going to rebound this year.

The division still runs through San Francisco. I hate all the hype. Seattle has a lot to prove.

24-17, Seattle. But it really could be closer. 10 AM road games are never easy for Seattle.

The OL has to be way better than it was in the preseason. Hopefully bringing back Travelle Wharton helps, but my hopes aren't high.

Cam had no time to throw and there weren't any holes open in the run game either.

55 09-02-2013 05:20 AM

No west coast teams fare well in early games on the road and Seattle just blows goats on the road in general. However, the Panthers just flat out aren't very good. Pick 'em game for me, here.

Gun to my head, Seahawks by just a FG.

RoundingThird 09-02-2013 08:56 AM

Seahawks win by at least 10. Their my SB pick. Their defense is just too good, and their offense is almost at the same level.

Madwolf 09-02-2013 12:30 PM

Carolina has only lost something like 4 or 5 games in the past 2 seasons under Rivera by over a TD, so I'm expecting this one to be close, especially with all the obstacles the Seahawks have to face coming East. This could be a defensive struggle, and I think it's one that Carolina is prepared for with their improved interior line. I honestly think they have one of the best front 7 in football right now. I'm going 21 to 24 Carolina.

The Panthers just signed Quintin Mikell, so that should help us out a lot at safety.

The_Wise_One 09-02-2013 01:41 PM

I'll take the Hawks 31-20. This game scares me though because the panthers are kind of a hot and cold team. Last year when Seattle beat them they didn't look good at all however towards the end of the season Newton and Co. looked like they could hang with anybody. Plus it's an early Seahawk road game.....